PDA

View Full Version : Best Warlock Type for DC casting? Build ideas?

Snowbluff
2019-07-18, 07:05 PM
So I was thinking about buffing save DCs, and correct me if I am wrong, the Warlock gets Rod of the Pactkeeper which can be a +3 (we'll operate under the assumption this only works with your warlock slots, but I'd like an infallible argument to the contrary for a Sorlock :P), and can also wear the super handy Robe of the Archmagi for another +2, since it's one of the classes that gets that item. You could get a Tome of Leadership for another +1, and even Ioun stone of mastery. That's a total of 8+6+6+3+2+1 = 26!

So what would be the best application of these traits?

We've a got a few decisions to make.
There are 8 invocations you can take. Some of these are spells.
A bunch of spells otherwise.
We also have to choose a pact and a pact boon. I think the pact for more spells is important as this can expand you spell selection. However, the boons aren't nearly as handy, AFAICT.

So what do you guys think? Take warlock to 20 and get some ninth level spells? Or would it be better to just go to 11 for the 3 slots and find other ways to get more save manipulators, like Shadow Sorcerer with the dog and heighten spell, or maybe even diviner wizard?

MinotaurWarblad
2019-07-18, 07:29 PM
I’m not a mod, but I’m pretty sure this thread is in the wrong forum.

Talionis
2019-07-18, 09:54 PM
Lore Bard might help to use inspiration

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-07-18, 10:24 PM
Patron: undying
Boon: pact of the chain

Patron is honestly just to get access to contagion. 3 save minimum to resist and it's non concentration

At level 15 you can get the chains of carceri to cast hold monster at will which with that high of a DC is pretty dang nice.

You can also grab a ravnica background to open up Geas, modify memory, and polymorph.

BarneyBent
2019-07-18, 10:50 PM
In terms of whether the rod impacts Sorcerer spell slots, you won’t get another Sorcerer spell slot, but you can cast Warlock spells using a Sorcerer spell slot and you will get your +1/2/3. That you use a Sorcerer spell slot to cast a Warlock spell does not change the fact that it is a Warlock spell.

Conversely, you can’t use the Rod for Sorcerer spells, even if you use a Warlock spell slot to cast it.

Snowbluff
2019-07-19, 12:13 PM
Lore Bard might help to use inspiration
I think it only applies to saves.

Patron: undying
Boon: pact of the chain

Patron is honestly just to get access to contagion. 3 save minimum to resist and it's non concentration

At level 15 you can get the chains of carceri to cast hold monster at will which with that high of a DC is pretty dang nice.

You can also grab a ravnica background to open up Geas, modify memory, and polymorph.
Isn't chains of carceri only once per long rest? It's still a nice thing to have, though.

In terms of whether the rod impacts Sorcerer spell slots, you won’t get another Sorcerer spell slot, but you can cast Warlock spells using a Sorcerer spell slot and you will get your +1/2/3. That you use a Sorcerer spell slot to cast a Warlock spell does not change the fact that it is a Warlock spell.

Conversely, you can’t use the Rod for Sorcerer spells, even if you use a Warlock spell slot to cast it.
Yeah I could see that.

Daghoulish
2019-07-19, 12:58 PM
Isn't chains of carceri only once per long rest? It's still a nice thing to have, though.

Chains or Carceri is at will against any enemy of celestial, fiend, or elemental but can only target the same creature once per long rest.

Snowbluff
2019-07-19, 09:47 PM
Chains or Carceri is at will against any enemy of celestial, fiend, or elemental but can only target the same creature once per long rest.

Hm yessss. It only works on 3 enemy types, but it also is F R E E so it's hard to argue with it. Speaking from experience, demons are common at higher levels so it'll pull some value. The downside is 90% of the time you'd be better off spending a spell slot to one shot win 2 at the same time with Banishment. Still, it's freeeeee.