PDA

View Full Version : Get a wizard spell on bard list

crankykobold
2019-07-18, 09:33 PM
Specifically, I want to get wraithstrike on bard spell list. Alternately, can I use a 4th level spell known slot from sublime chord to learn wraithstrike?

heavyfuel
2019-07-18, 09:39 PM
Extra Spell feat (Comp. Arcane) might work. The language used is vague in regards to whether or not you can pick spells from different lists, so check with your DM.

I honestly think that - by going straight RAW - you cannot pick it using Sublime Chord. The level you see on the table is the level you get. I'd love to be proved wrong here, though.

Thurbane
2019-07-18, 09:46 PM
Wyrm Wizard could work to get it on your Bard list. You'd probably need the Arcane Preparation feat to qualify.

You can also use the Ring of Theurgy (CAr p.145), but you'd need to have it replenished after each use.

Also, the Dragonblood Spell-Pact spell (DoF p.115) can work, if your Bard has the Dragonblood subtype. You'd need to find a Dragon or Dragonblood creature that knows Wraithstrike, and trade a 3rd 2nd level spell known with them.

MisterKaws
2019-07-18, 09:57 PM
Bards get UMD as a class skill. Get a Wand Chamber inside your weapon and just raise your UMD until you can beat it on a 1.

Bphill561
2019-07-19, 12:05 AM
If you have access to Dragon magazine, knowstones are a useful magic item. Same cost as pearls of power, but grant a bonus spell known so your level 2 wraithstrike would cost 4,000gp. Dragon magazine #333.

There is a spellshard dragon helm in eberron somewhere as well that works the similarly. Some place in the giant magic items I believe.

Depending on your needs, eternal wands with the previous wand chamber suggestion also works.

tiercel
2019-07-19, 02:52 AM
This is one of the points of Lyric Thaumaturge (CM): “you gain additional spells known for each spell level as you gain levels. These spells must be drawn from the sorcerer/wizard list and are thereafter treated as part of your class spell list.”

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-19, 02:58 AM
There is a spellshard dragon helm in eberron somewhere as well that works the similarly. Some place in the giant magic items I believe.

Drake helm. Up to 4 spells from any other list.

What about using the changling prc. Recaster, i think it was. They get to add spells to their lists.

crankykobold
2019-07-19, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the tips.The goal is to persist wraithstrike, but the wand could work.

edit: Lyric Thaumaturge is the winner. It's not the exact build i was looking for but the level 3 spell secret does the exact thing I need. Kind of surprised I missed it. Thanks Tiercel.

Piggy Knowles
2019-07-19, 08:19 AM
This is one of the points of Lyric Thaumaturge (CM): “you gain additional spells known for each spell level as you gain levels. These spells must be drawn from the sorcerer/wizard list and are thereafter treated as part of your class spell list.”

Came to say this. Lyric Thaumaturge is great for this. Minimal reqs and progresses music and bard casting, too. I often stop into LT on my way to Sublime Chord.

Malphegor
2019-07-19, 09:30 AM
on top of these RAW-methods, ask your DM.

As far as I can tell, 90% of all spell classes chosen for spells are entirely arbitary anyway, so if it's reasonable for you to have it or thematically appropriate, one can appeal to the DM to have the rules bent there.

(seriously I see no reason why wraithstrike isn't a bard spell beyond them not considering bards when it was written. Not exactly like most wizards need it for themselves, we're more likely hucking spells than using knives with our hands like a baby's toy. It even says you do a 'overly dramatic flourish and calling out with a sickly-sounding moan' which sounds Bard as hell.)

tiercel
2019-07-19, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the tips.The goal is to persist wraithstrike, but the wand could work.

edit: Lyric Thaumaturge is the winner. It's not the exact build i was looking for but the level 3 spell secret does the exact thing I need. Kind of surprised I missed it. Thanks Tiercel.

Came to say this. Lyric Thaumaturge is great for this. Minimal reqs and progresses music and bard casting, too. I often stop into LT on my way to Sublime Chord.

Glad to be of help! I really wanted to point up LT because it too often gets characterized as merely “lesser Sublime Chord” or “only on the way to Sublime Chord” or “cool picture” (OK, fair on that last point) when it *literally* does what you’re asking for — much less it’s very easy to get into and earlier to get into than Sublime Chord.

(I’m not wholly anti-SC but there seems to be a school of thought that SC, or particularly a Bard/Virtuoso/SC/Virtuoso or Bard/LT/Virtuoso/SC/Virtuoso build, is the answer for all bard builds; while it can certainly be strong, it is a bard/sorcerer theurge that doesn’t even really begin until level 10, so its utility can be very campaign-dependent.)

It is worth mentioning that if you really just want wraithstrike on a bardic gish, that others here also have a point: slotting a wand of wraithstrike into a wand chamber on your primary weapon and consistently hitting UMD DC 20 is a lesser investment than three class levels, even if you were taking Melodic Casting anyway.

However, if your aim is already a SC-based gish, it is (as Piggy Knowles has pointed out) quite easy to fit LT in before entering SC.