PDA

View Full Version : Huge creatures stomping smaller ones?

TripleD
2019-07-18, 10:49 PM
How would you rule a giant, or any other large creature, trying to step on a PC? Say they are right next to a prone character, so they decide to just squish them like a bug.

Particle_Man
2019-07-18, 11:04 PM
Unarmed strike? Or slam attack if it has one?

Made me think of this old game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2151/stomp

Bubzors
2019-07-18, 11:20 PM
Slam attack with advantage? If there isnt one in the stat block just give it something similar but weaker to their weapon attack.

Or maybe a slam attack with an additional effect. If it hits the PC is restrained until they succeed a grapple check or the giant moves. Simulate him just kind of stomping on the creature and holding him in place.

I find it a lot more fun to run huge creatures if you think outside the stat block. Grappling/flinging/sitting on creatures should be the normal. The PCs are like small rodents to them. Also I think there are some optional attacks like these in the Storm Kings Thunder adventure.

TripleD
2019-07-18, 11:52 PM
I find it a lot more fun to run huge creatures if you think outside the stat block. Grappling/flinging/sitting on creatures should be the normal. The PCs are like small rodents to them.

Agreed. That’s an issue I have with 5e: the big creatures rarely feel like big creatures. Even back in the days of 3.5 I wondered why dragons didn’t just lie on top of the heroes and smother them.

I almost think an additional set of rules should be created for fighting huge creatures.

Particle_Man
2019-07-19, 12:07 AM
In 3.5 crushing the heroes beneath your body was an option for some true dragons (the huge and larger ones, although in practice probably the gargantuan or larger ones). The heroes usually didn't suffocate because PCs are really hard to kill.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-19, 03:06 AM
Don't be afraid to break into narrative.

"And you fail the dexterity saving throw to roll away. The giant foot squishes you like a bug, and you are positively dead"
"WHAT?! No deah saving throws, no damage, no nothing?!"
"Dude, your body is like the consistency of oatmeal, but spread over 4 square feet. I don't think you're shrugging that one off"

Contrast
2019-07-19, 03:33 AM
Don't be afraid to break into narrative.

"And you fail the dexterity saving throw to roll away. The giant foot squishes you like a bug, and you are positively dead"
"WHAT?! No deah saving throws, no damage, no nothing?!"
"Dude, your body is like the consistency of oatmeal, but spread over 4 square feet. I don't think you're shrugging that one off"

Counter advice - don't narrate your PCs to death. There are instant death rules if thats what you're looking for.

I'd probably have a giant stamp on them be a grapple which inflicts unarmed damage on a success.