PDA

View Full Version : On Versus Threads

Arameus
2007-10-09, 04:00 PM
'Versus' threads are a popular pastime on message boards, mos notably on ones like GitP in which many of the posters have broad media experience. However, I have rarely witnessed a more inherently-flawed premise put through such rigorous use. In a word, Versus threads are divisive. In two words, they are terminally interminable. In three words, they're just sorta dumb.

Versus threads are, for the four of you on the Internet who don't know, a hypothetical struggle, usually to the death, between two forces. Sometimes, albeit rarely, more forces are added or the conflict centers around a MacGuffin or the acquisition thereof, but the premise and execution aren't affected by this even a little bit.

Ideally, in a Versus thread, supporters of either side would state their cases and initiate a dialog on the respective strengths and weaknesses of the competitors, which would eventually culminate with an overwhelming majority being swayed to one side, and a victor declared, with no further debate necessary unless some heretofore-unseen point is suddenly realized that would alter the outcome.

In reality, Versus threads don't work in this way for three reasons.

First, Versus threads almost always involve massive incongruities between sides that make their conflict almost entirely inscrutable. The reasons for this is that comparable sides are often already known to have fought (UNSC versus Covenant), are simply not interesting enough (Goomba versus Koopa), or simply don't have the appeal or novelty that cross-universe conflicts have.

This leads to ridiculous match-ups whose fights range from extremely-theoretical (Protoss versus Borg) to damnedly-near inscrutable (Three Marios versus Sephiroth). The massive incongruities are what naturally lead to our second problem.

Whereas the first problem derives form the nature of the conflict, the second derives from the nature of the conflict as it affects the people arguing for one side or the other. In an incongruous matchup, the discussion of supremacy will often involve side discussions that are either far beyond the ken of the contestants or are simply impossible to determine. In the former case, we may have high-school physics students articulating the finer points of warp drive and quantum mechanics, as will inevitable come up in a conflict involving space warfare. On the other hand, there may simply be a divide to egregious to address conclusively: How in the world can three Marios and Sephiroth possibly fight? When hit, do the Marios shrink down to their little selves, which assumes they start already powered-up? or do they have life gauges like in Mario 64? And what happens when they hit Sephiroth? Does he lose hit points, or does he stagger back and blink, becoming invincible for a short time? Can he transform, or cast status effects on the Marios? Does the universe merely collapse when they touch?

Naturally, the difficulties present in either case make the argument moot. No one is qualified to make a valid conjecture about either! Although, if there are any Cal-Tech graduates here with doctorates in Quantum Physics, feel free to feed me some crow. This inevitably becomes a spiral of discussing the same things endlessly, and never coming to any solid conclusions.

Third is a problem found within the debater himself: the simple impulse to win. There is no referee standing by taking score to arbitrate the winner or the loser. No one cares, at least not by the third page or so, whether or not their side or the other has made a valid point, or even if a valid point can be made. They will simply extol the virtues of their side until the cows come home. After a time, the thread is no longer about Protoss versus Romulans; it's about Protoss Fans versus Romulan Fans, and neither side will ever back down because the arguing is only occurring for the sake of itself, so that the debaters' very fanhood may be revealed to all.

The simple fact is that once a Versus thread has begun, it will not end until it arguing any longer merely becomes distasteful to the partakers. This, of course, happens almost by necessity when incongruity is present, but is in its most obvious format when the outcome is easily decidable and the roundabout nature of the arguments isn't nearly quite so mitigated.

The solution to all of this, however, is very simple: a simple realization of the true purpose of Versus threads. A Versus thread is not about who could beat whom, it's about which side is more totally frickin' awesome. Because, admittedly, the laws of media declare that whoever is more totally frickin' awesome will win anyway. It's a popularity contest, plain and simple. It's why the 300 Spartans would have staunch supporters even if the opposition was the mighty Covenant, regardless of the knowledge that the 300 didn't even win their actual battles.

To put it simply, the only way to have a working Versus thread is to install a poll and be done with it. No discussion, no diner points of warp-drive mechanics, no deciding on whether or not to use HP. Just the barest, purest purpose of the Versus thread at work, fandom versus fandom, with an actual winner determinable for once. Granted, it still wouldn't prove anything; the supporters of the losing side aren't going to be swayed by the results, but would they have, anyway? Of course not. At least this way someone has a chance to gloat.

That's about all I have to say about it right now, but- wait, what? WHAT? What does he mean, 'the Protoss shields are inferior?!' Oh, I'm off to teach this nooblet a lesson, just you wait and see! Yes, I am actually an incurable participant in Versus threads. What, are you surprised? PROTOSS OWN YOU!

zeratul
2007-10-09, 04:04 PM
I remember the one I started "Link vs Sephiroth." It was like a gateway to hell man, I didn't realize how steadfast some people we re about it.

Rinquist
2007-10-09, 04:05 PM
Arameus versus Amadeus versus Dr. Zaius. Discuss.

Can I play the piano anymore?
I don't see why not!
Well I couldn't before!

Raiser Blade
2007-10-09, 04:08 PM
Batman would win if he had time to prepare.

If i had a nickel for every time i've heard that line...

Winterwind
2007-10-09, 04:23 PM
I hope you got the mods' permission to re-post a thread which has just been closed in another forum.

Anyway, let's see...

Ideally, in a Versus thread, supporters of either side would state their cases and initiate a dialog on the respective strengths and weaknesses of the competitors, which would eventually culminate with an overwhelming majority being swayed to one side, and a victor declared, with no further debate necessary unless some heretofore-unseen point is suddenly realized that would alter the outcome.

In reality, Versus threads don't work in this way for three reasons.Actually, quite often they do. Not all people are convinced, sure but that happens hardly in any debate, Versus thread or not, Internet or not. Often enough a side can present a number of good arguments why one side or the other should win the contest. A few months ago we had a rather long debate concerning the Star Wars Empire, and we actually managed to agree upon a number of organisations from various universes which should be able to take it on, and a number which would fail at that task.

However, this is beside the point, because in my opinion you missed the actual reason behind Versus threads. It's not to definitely determine who would win in a battle. Rather, they serve as an exchange of information concerning the universes in question, and an exchange of different perceptions from various people regarding these universes. It doesn't matter who would win in a fight between Protoss and the Star Trek Federation; what matters is why people arrive at the conclusion that either one would win. Over the many Versus threads I have learned a lot of interesting details about universes I did not know before, and I got interested in various universes I hardly knew anything about before.

And, yes, quite often the question is actually unresolvable, unless there is a source explicitly stating the capabilities of the various universes, in which case a conclusive argument is quite possible. But again, the resolution of the conflict is not as interesting as the ways how people perceive the conflict would go.

If there are numbers for both universes in question present then, of course, the question becomes far from unresolvable additionally.

To put it simply, the only way to have a working Versus thread is to install a poll and be done with it. No discussion, no diner points of warp-drive mechanics, no deciding on whether or not to use HP. Just the barest, purest purpose of the Versus thread at work, fandom versus fandom, with an actual winner determinable for once. Granted, it still wouldn't prove anything; the supporters of the losing side aren't going to be swayed by the results, but would they have, anyway? Of course not. At least this way someone has a chance to gloat.Which would completely eliminate the actual point of Versus threads. Without exchange of information regarding the strategical/tactical/whatsoever capabilities of the universes, these threads would serve nothing indeed, as you correctly point out.

All in all, I disagree with your entire statement, because in my opinion your assumption regarding the point of Versus threads is as off the mark as it could be.

Om
2007-10-09, 04:23 PM
Tell me about it. Unfortunately when it comes to Versus Threads vs Om (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59151) there is indeed a clear winner. Call it the exception that proves the rule.

sktarq
2007-10-09, 04:24 PM
okay Now I am not just baffled by versus threads I am baffled by threads about versus threads.....I apparently don't get never have gotten the point and don't know enough about most of the the things in the VS thread to have a clue what anyone is talking about.....mostly I sit in a cafe reading news, history, science and philosophy so I must be missing the good stuff going on the Star Teck/Mecha meets somevideogame Universe but seriously folks this is the first time I heard anything on the subject make any sense...besides all these things are FANTASY! it is there to be enjoyed. Will it be any better if my fantasy can beat yours?

Winterwind
2007-10-09, 04:28 PM
Will it be any better if my fantasy can beat yours?No. But that's not the purpose of these threads anyway.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-10-09, 04:30 PM
I declare the truck to be the winner because applesauce is tastier when its not mixed with macaroni and cheese.

Cyrano
2007-10-09, 04:42 PM
It's...kinda fun to walk in, state vastly illogical statements wrapped up in fluff and hyperbabble, pretend it's newspeak, tell people what you just said was smarter then their entire family put together and then watch people agree with you.
You know, when I'm bothered.

Arameus
2007-10-09, 04:46 PM
I didn't realize there was a thread like this elsewhere, but I think it's pretty moot since the purpose is completely different. If the mods see it differently, though, I honestly profess ignorance and duly apologize.

Whereas the other was trying to get the Versus threads stopped, I don't want them stopped and actually rather enjoy them; You should know better than to take the words of a crazy person at face value.

I agree with a lot of what Winterwind says, actually. It's fun to see how much you really know about your particular side, and to learn neat new things about the other. The Protoss vs. Covenant thread is, in particular, of great interest to me because I really like both of them, and it's neat-o to flesh out my knowledge of these two sides.

So why lament their existence? Because these problems are real! And do they have any solution? No! In fact, I wouldn't have it any other way! Saying you should just install a poll is like Mark Twain's suggestion that you should put your kids in a barrel and feed them through a knothole. Is that really the best solution? Of course not! Sure, it would certainly fix some issues, but would kill everything good about it! Of course it wasn't a serious suggestion, silly.

I have never, ever seen a winner declared by even close to a majority. The conflicts may certainly be resolvable, but will it ever really be resolved? Nope. Otherwise, those nasty Covenant-ites would have long since buggered off. :smallwink:

The simple fact is that despite these problems I still love and participate in Versus threads. Problems are present, mistakes are made, surely, but I don't think we need buzzers and color-coded jackets to run a good debate; these problems are charming, in their own way. In other words, I criticize them for the same reason Daddy hurts Mommy sometimes: because I love them!

Of course, taking it all way, way too seriously certainly does add a good deal of evidence as to why Versus threads are often so broken.

FdL
2007-10-09, 05:00 PM
*shrug* I never liked Vs. threads precisely for that. It might be fun to discuss, but it's really pointless. How can you pair up characters from totally different fiction universes? How can you compare them if they weren't supposed to coexist?

And even in the case that their encounter would be actually written, the winner would be only whoever the writer wanted to win, simple as that. That's the way fiction works, remember when you say "a character is written to win"? Well, it's like that. If the author wants a character to win/survive he can come up with anything he wants because fiction has its own rules, or lacks rules, unlike the apparent geek fanboy supposition that every fictional universe is ruled by an underlying homogeneous system of rules measuring power and awesomeness in a completely objective scale.

Dragonrider
2007-10-09, 05:19 PM
I'm with you, Arameus. I'm willing to supply the same advice I give my brother when he complains about stupid people on the boards: If you don't like the thread, don't open it! :smallsmile:

Winterwind
2007-10-09, 05:29 PM
So why lament their existence? Because these problems are real! And do they have any solution? No! In fact, I wouldn't have it any other way! Saying you should just install a poll is like Mark Twain's suggestion that you should put your kids in a barrel and feed them through a knothole. Is that really the best solution? Of course not! Sure, it would certainly fix some issues, but would kill everything good about it! Of course it wasn't a serious suggestion, silly.Okay, now I feel dumb. My irony-detectors rarely fail me that much. :smallbiggrin:
In my excuse, when I was writing that post I had mixed you up with Om for some reason - I thought you had been the one who had opened that other thread as well, and were indeed meaning what you wrote literally.

I have never, ever seen a winner declared by even close to a majority. The conflicts may certainly be resolvable, but will it ever really be resolved? Nope. Otherwise, those nasty Covenant-ites would have long since buggered off. :smallwink: Hey, but we know the truth, right? :smallbiggrin:
(Disclaimer: I have no idea, actually, since I know too little about the Covenant. If it were indeed a popularity contest, however, I know for whom I would vote. :smallwink: )

sktarq
2007-10-09, 06:03 PM
@Winterwind I'd have to say having wandered into several of these threads for a time I have to say they all reminded me of seven year olds throwing a temper tantrum en masse with a game of "Oh Yeah" thrown in for good messure. I wanted to get back into SMBG's after over a year of being away but found it so taken over by various "VS" games that I ended up never going back, following dragonriders advice. You may think it is about "shareing information" but I get the same line out of advertizers and lobbists, and from tan outsiders perpective it seems about as accurate.

Winterwind
2007-10-09, 06:50 PM
Well, the only thing I can reply to that is that I don't share your observations. Sure, there are a few posts of the kind that you describe, but for the most part they offer well thought through arguments, backed up by citations and references.

Roland St. Jude
2007-10-09, 07:00 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Please do not restart locked threads. This topic was recently raised and locked here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59151&page=2)