PDA

View Full Version : How to make a wizards assistant?

Orkz
2019-07-19, 05:18 AM
Hello everyone :)

I'm joining a campaign soon and was thinking about making a former assistant to a retirred wizard or something like that.
So i was thinking about bard or cleric as possible choices.

I just want to not be a one-trick-pony. Combat in the campaign are usually one per session or less, so combat focus are not my main concern.
But one or 2 spells for combat, cantrip or more powerful ones

I'm starting at level 7 and will go all the way

Do you have any recommendations for a fun build that could function as a versatile assistant. Mono-class only

Zetakya
2019-07-19, 05:58 AM
Do you definitely want a full caster? Because if not, you could go with an Arcane Trickster Rogue, who has picked up a few tricks from his Wizardly Master, but lacked the dedication to study true Wizardry.

Monster Manuel
2019-07-19, 10:23 AM
Arcane Trickster rogue is a good fit. You could also go with Eldritch Knight Fighter, and play him off as a hired bodyguard-type, working for a wizard, who was looking over his Employer's shoulder the whole time he was on guard duty, thinking "huh, this stuff's not so hard..."

Bard is also a great choice if you want to be a versatile character, and not a one-trick pony. Aside from the wizard's apprentice background, what is it you'd like the character to do?

Segev
2019-07-19, 10:28 AM
The question on my mind is: What kind of assistant? Secretary? Lab assistant? Bodyguard? Bodyman? Fetch-and-stepper? Agent who does things in the world while his master works in the lab?

Are you more Happy or Pepper Potts? More Alfred or Igor? Are you his Dragon or his majordomo?

iTreeby
2019-07-19, 11:17 AM
The red wizards of thay have Jordain Vizier that are trained from birth to be a wizards assistant. Unfortunately they are hard to build in fifth edition.

The closest I can get is as a rock gnome/ yuan ti inquisitive rogue with keen mind. Probably use the sage background.

The goal is to make a character that can handle the trivialities of the daily life but also stay out 9f the way but also help the wizard in combat with some degree of resistance to the wizards magic.

TyGuy
2019-07-19, 11:54 AM
Squires hope to one day become knights as well.
Sorcerers' apprentices are usually in training to become sorcerers themselves.

Why not be a wizard in training?

Vogie
2019-07-19, 12:08 PM
I'd probably be a Lore Bard.

You're an Arcane caster, but not a wizard. You're trained in specializing in several things, including an expertise in Arcana, and have your magic focused on protecting the wizard from himself & his creations with your disruptive magic (reflavored cutting words). Each time you rest you can heal him (and his ego) and get them back in the game.

xroads
2019-07-19, 03:55 PM
How about an arcane domain cleric? Maybe your cleric is a representative of the church who audited the wizard's experiments to make sure the wizard didn't try anything dangerous? Or as a consultant of divine matters (ex. how to summon celestials without angering the good gods :smalleek:)?

Or maybe a knowledge domain cleric who acted a liaison between the wizard and the library?

Griswold
2019-07-19, 07:02 PM
I've wanted to try playing a kobold with the mounted combat feat as a wizard's assistant and bodyguard.

You ride on the wizard's shoulders, designating it as your mount. In combat, you can protect the wizard by redirecting any attacks towards yourself, with no limit of times per round. In addition, in melee you always get advantage because your ally the wizard is within 5 feet of your targets.

Out of combat? You ride around on the shoulders of the wizard because the wizard is short and needs help reaching high places. You act as a second set of hands while running alchemical experiments, or wipe the wizard's brow while she is concentrating intensely. Just be best friends. If you're small enough, you could even pretend to be the wizard's familiar.

Class doesn't really matter although obviously high AC and hp would be best. Any cleric, druid, or fighter would work well.

Chrizzt
2019-07-19, 07:42 PM
The red wizards of thay have Jordain Vizier that are trained from birth to be a wizards assistant. Unfortunately they are hard to build in fifth edition.

The closest I can get is as a rock gnome/ yuan ti inquisitive rogue with keen mind. Probably use the sage background.

The goal is to make a character that can handle the trivialities of the daily life but also stay out 9f the way but also help the wizard in combat with some degree of resistance to the wizards magic.

Nope, you are talking about the Halruuan Elders. Not the red wizards.

iTreeby
2019-07-19, 07:54 PM
Nope, you are talking about the Halruuan Elders. Not the red wizards.

Huh. Guess so.

Ninjadeadbeard
2019-07-19, 07:57 PM
Thief with the Magic Initiate feat. Rogue versatility plus a bit of magic (booming blade ftw).