PDA

View Full Version : Deck of many things cards

Redhood101
2019-07-19, 01:08 PM
I love the idea of the deck of many things. But the cards Don’t seam too exciting. I want to make my own cards for it. Anyone have any ideas? Or advice?

Segev
2019-07-19, 01:42 PM
It might help to know why you don't find the existing effects exciting. What is missing from them? What about them don't you like?

Sigreid
2019-07-19, 01:48 PM
Our table made a few key changes. First, the group has to agree to draw and on how many cards are to be drawn. Second, everyone suffers the full effect of every card as a group. Third, the instant character removed from play cards are modified to a major inconvenience such as the prison card puts them without their stuff in a prison rather than soul trapped. Four, it's The Deck of Many Things and vanishes in laughter to be found by someone else after the draw.

RedMage125
2019-07-19, 01:57 PM
I amde some Lesser Decks that could be used at lower levels.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472631-Lesser-Decks-of-Many-Things

Could be helpful.

Segev
2019-07-19, 02:20 PM
In terms of IDEAS, if you take it as a Tarot deck, you could assign meanings according to the Tarot meanings, but with a little more mechanical hook, defining them as particular people or kinds of people, wealth in various forms, magic that appears in various ways...

...and then do a reading with the deck, and have the reading create a customized magical outcome that is defined by the various elements coming together as you, the DM, choose to interpret them.

Lunali
2019-07-19, 08:20 PM
Not a fan of the deck personally, but if I were to use it, I would use it as written with one exception, a person can only draw from a given deck once. This makes the requirement that you choose the number of cards to draw ahead of time far more important.

Segev
2019-09-04, 09:24 AM
The tarot card is fundamentally the same as other playing cards regarding structure. Simply equivalent to any standard playing deck of cards, the tarot additionally has four suits. Every have 14 cards, 10 cards from Ace to ten and 4 face cards (King, Queen, Jack/Knave, and Knight). Notwithstanding those, the tarot likewise has an additional card called the Fool and a different 21-card trump sui

Sure. But the Tarot also feels more "Exotic" and "Fantastic" to most modern denizens of Westernized culture than playing cards. Which is the only reason I suggested it. Well, that, and I haven't heard of "readings" being done with playing cards the way they are with Tarot cards. Probably for precisely that "exoticness" as a reason.

verbatim
2019-09-04, 07:07 PM
Borrowing a feature called exploding dice (https://anydice.com/articles/exploding-dice/) from other tabletop systems is a great way to make a Deck of Many Things really shine.

13. Armageddon: Add the Armageddon card back into the deck and shuffle it. The drawer must then draw another card and resolve its effect, at which point it is revealed that everyone within a 30 foot radius of the drawer must also resolve its effect.

If Armageddon is drawn while under the effect of Armegeddon, every member within 30 ft of the original drawer draws a card from the deck that every member must then resolve.