PDA

View Full Version : Leap Attack/Shoock Trooper Cheese

Arakune
2007-10-09, 04:42 PM
How to do 100+ damage without this common cheese? The first time I saw the L.A. feat, I tough it was an error, since it's rare to see a feat to give a multiplier to something, instead of a normal bonus.

Indon
2007-10-09, 04:47 PM
Without?

Well, you could go for the zillions-of-attacks route with multiple sources of additional damage; for instance, a Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Rogue X with a Ring of Blink (I think?) can do a full TWF charge with Sneak Attack on every hit.

Edit: NullAshton, you appear to be having the same trouble with posting that I am?

NullAshton
2007-10-09, 04:48 PM
Pffft, easy. I did it at 15th level, I believe.

10th level warmind, can once per day deliver an attack with an additional 10d6 damage. Then you use Deep Impact, expending your psionic focus to make that attack as a touch attack. With a two-handed weapon, power attack for all of your BAB. In addition, use the warmind's special ability to give yourself a +4 to strength, as well as +6 to strength from an item. Along with a vicious greatsword...

I lost the character sheet, but I believe he did something like 14d6 + 50 damage. Once per day, but without leap attack/shock trooper cheese.

Tor the Fallen
2007-10-09, 04:49 PM
It goes like this:
Power attack with a lance, two handed, for 2-to-1 returns.
Take shock trooper so your instead of reducing your to hit, ou reduce your AC on a 1-to-1 ratio with the amount of penalty to hit you take.
Leap attack, to get 3-to-1 on power attack.

Get on a mount, and charge, for 6-to-1 returns.

Level 20, you're getting 120 damage on a single attack.
Take your first level lion totem barbarian for pounce, so you make a full attack.
Go into Cavalier to get even more multiplied damage on a mounted charge.

NullAshton
2007-10-09, 04:50 PM

10th level warmind, can once per day deliver an attack with an additional 10d6 damage. Then you use Deep Impact, expending your psionic focus to make that attack as a touch attack. With a two-handed weapon, power attack for all of your BAB. In addition, use the warmind's special ability to give yourself a +4 to strength, as well as +6 to strength from an item. Along with a vicious greatsword...

I lost the character sheet, but I believe he did something like 14d6 + 50 damage. Once per day, but without leap attack/shock trooper cheese.

Morty
2007-10-09, 04:52 PM
With Tome of Battle it's quite easy. Using Diamond Nightmare Blade you deal four times your normal melee damage, which can get your damage over 100 preety easily, I guess. Of course, that's high-level manuever.

NullAshton
2007-10-09, 04:52 PM

Arakune
2007-10-09, 04:57 PM
Hehe, the forum are acting a bit weird :smallwink:

Also, I guess I didn't stated it right: I mean, how a fighter or some class that don't have access to some kind of supernatural cheese and L.A/P.A/S.T/THW can do 100+ damage.

Indon
2007-10-09, 05:05 PM
As I noted, a Rogue with Pounce in a position to Sneak Attack (Say, using +1 Ghost Touch Brilliant Energy weapons, to ensure he hits) can deal his SA dice every time he hits.

A high-level rogue with a couple levels in a full BAB class, enough to get a 4'th attack, can attack 7 times with TWF and still have enough Rogue levels to get... I think 8d6 sneak attack? Maybe 7d6.

So say the rogue uses a 1d6 weapon and has 10 strength: each attack deals 8d6 damage, for an average of 28. He gets 7 attacks.

Chronos
2007-10-09, 06:28 PM
Using only core rules, it's possible (though insanely unlikely) to get 770 damage on a single hit, if the random number gods smile on you. Here's how:

The character is a half-orc cleric 20 (domains: Strength and Destruction). He rolled or point-bought an 18 Str, +2 racial, +5 levels, +5 from a tome or Miracles, for a total of 30.

He has Power Attack, and Spirited Charge and prerequisites.

The weapon he's wielding is a Scythe +1, Flaming Burst, Shocking Burst, Icy Burst, Bane (something or other), Thundering, and Vicious (+10 equivalent, the maximum pre-epic).

He's also wearing Rhino Hide Armor.

Before the battle, he casts Divine Power, Divine Favor, Righteous Might, and Greater Magic Weapon. His Bard 20 teammate casts Rage on him, and starts singing Inspire Courage.

The cleric mounts his trusty War Elephant, and charges at his enemy (something that matches the type of his Bane weapon). He uses both of his domain granted powers, and power attacks for full (note that this still leaves him enough attack bonus to hit almost anything, thanks to his strength of 56 and various other bonuses).

If he crits, he deals x5 damage (x4 from the crit, and an extra multiplier from Spirited Charge), and triggers the Bursts and Thundering on his weapon. Meanwhile, all of the bonus damage from Strength, Power Attack, Smite, weapon enhancement, luck, and morale (from the bardsong) are also multiplied by 5. And if all of the damage dice roll max (like I said, highly unlikely, but this is the theoretical max), it ends up summing to 770 damage.

No Leap Attack or Shock Trooper necessary, though I'm sure those could be incorporated into the build, too.

Kaelik
2007-10-09, 06:55 PM
You could improve that 770 with Aximonic since you are already dictating the bane (and the super rolling.)

Arakune
2007-10-09, 06:56 PM
Using only core rules, it's possible (though insanely unlikely) to get 770 damage on a single hit, if the random number gods smile on you. Here's how:

The character is a half-orc cleric 20 (domains: Strength and Destruction). He rolled or point-bought an 18 Str, +2 racial, +5 levels, +5 from a tome or Miracles, for a total of 30.

He has Power Attack, and Spirited Charge and prerequisites.

The weapon he's wielding is a Scythe +1, Flaming Burst, Shocking Burst, Icy Burst, Bane (something or other), Thundering, and Vicious (+10 equivalent, the maximum pre-epic).

He's also wearing Rhino Hide Armor.

Before the battle, he casts Divine Power, Divine Favor, Righteous Might, and Greater Magic Weapon. His Bard 20 teammate casts Rage on him, and starts singing Inspire Courage.

The cleric mounts his trusty War Elephant, and charges at his enemy (something that matches the type of his Bane weapon). He uses both of his domain granted powers, and power attacks for full (note that this still leaves him enough attack bonus to hit almost anything, thanks to his strength of 56 and various other bonuses).

If he crits, he deals x5 damage (x4 from the crit, and an extra multiplier from Spirited Charge), and triggers the Bursts and Thundering on his weapon. Meanwhile, all of the bonus damage from Strength, Power Attack, Smite, weapon enhancement, luck, and morale (from the bardsong) are also multiplied by 5. And if all of the damage dice roll max (like I said, highly unlikely, but this is the theoretical max), it ends up summing to 770 damage.

No Leap Attack or Shock Trooper necessary, though I'm sure those could be incorporated into the build, too.

Well, that's more like what I was looking. Not magical cheese (PrC that uses Wis to damage, then drop it to 3 to change it to Str. I mean, with Wis 3 he even remember what he want to kill instead of just killing everything that moves? And isn't that dangerous even if you have a cleric in your party?)
or some really cheap combo like the title mentions (like in the magic of gathering replenish in the second turn, 21 damage, Force of Will if as backup, or the tolarian academy nigh-infinite card draw combo or the overrun insta-kill in the 2nd turn or the 2000 damage in 5th turn)

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-09, 08:22 PM
It goes like this:
Power attack with a lance, two handed, for 2-to-1 returns.
Take shock trooper so your instead of reducing your to hit, ou reduce your AC on a 1-to-1 ratio with the amount of penalty to hit you take.
Leap attack, to get 3-to-1 on power attack.

Get on a mount, and charge, for 6-to-1 returns.

Level 20, you're getting 120 damage on a single attack.
Take your first level lion totem barbarian for pounce, so you make a full attack.
Go into Cavalier to get even more multiplied damage on a mounted charge.

...The leap attack part doesn't work...you need to make the jump check and y'know...leap. Doesn't work on a horse.

Person_Man
2007-10-09, 08:34 PM
There are many, many ways.

ToB must have at least a dozen ways.

A Duskblade can pull it off pretty easily.

The Craven feat gives you +1 per level to your Sneak Attack.

Smite Evil gives you +1 per level.

Ronin gives you +1 per BAB.

Power Attack gives you +2 per BAB.

Static bonuses can be multiplied. Headlong Rush, Battle Jump, Rhino's Rush, a Valorous weapon, and a lance will each multiply your charge damage by *2. Spirited Charge will pump your lance up to *3.

I can get up to 12d8 unarmed damage by mid levels. Throw in Scorpion's Grasp, and it becomes 24d8 with a successful Grapple check. The King of Smack can pretty easily pull it off with Claw damage as well.

And that's just off the top of my head, without CoDzilla. Give me a full caster and some time to buff, and it becomes even easier.

Chronos
2007-10-09, 08:53 PM
You could improve that 770 with Aximonic since you are already dictating the bane (and the super rolling.)I considered that, but axiomatic (or holy, unholy, or anarchic) is a +2 improvement, which means I'd have to drop something else off the weapon. It's not worth it. It might be worth swapping the Vicious for another Bane (and then find some monster that fits in both categories), but that depends on how one interprets how Bane stacks.

PhoeKun
2007-10-09, 08:54 PM
...The leap attack part doesn't work...you need to make the jump check and y'know...leap. Doesn't work on a horse.

What, you can't make a horse jump? :smalltongue:

tannish2
2007-10-09, 08:57 PM
true, but does the horse have leap attack?....... nevermind thats stupid.

The Mormegil
2007-10-10, 09:32 AM
You can get a ton of archetypes and pull off a +20 to Str or so (not that difficult, specially with Savage Cheeses), then get a monk unarmed damage, flurry, Snap Kick etc to get great amount of attacks and damage.
Or, you can use a manouvre of some kind (Strike of Perfect Clarity grants exactly +100 to damage rolls, even though a Swordsage can Time Stands Still + Raging Moongoose + Inferno Blade for over 700 damages).
Or, you can use the Uber-charging thing.
Or, you just use a duskblade/warmage or something to get spells on melee hits (Duskblade 13 gets lots of damages on a full-attack even without feats or anything).
Just pick the cheese you want.

Kaelik
2007-10-10, 09:46 AM
I considered that, but axiomatic (or holy, unholy, or anarchic) is a +2 improvement, which means I'd have to drop something else off the weapon. It's not worth it. It might be worth swapping the Vicious for another Bane (and then find some monster that fits in both categories), but that depends on how one interprets how Bane stacks.

Right, except it does 2d6 and you have Icy Burst which does 1d10. So... Aximonic?

Guy_Whozevl
2007-10-10, 09:51 AM
Be a fighter/rogue with Greater Manyshot. Get the Craven feat as well. Get a +X Splitting, Force Bow. Have Weapon Spec. and Ranged Weapon Mastery for a bit of extra damage. Manyshot things to death with 8+ arrows each with sneak attack bonuses. You should be able to do at least 100 damage with this.

It is, however, unoptimized. You need 3.0 Order of the Bow Initiate, Peerless Archer, and/or Deepwood Sniper to rack in the damage. Swift Hunter builds work too.

Edit: Arcane Strike from Complete Warrior works too.

Indon
2007-10-10, 09:58 AM
Right, except it does 2d6 and you have Icy Burst which does 1d10. So... Aximonic?

Icy Burst, if I recall, deals more extra damage based on the multiplier of the weapon. A x4 weapon probably deals 3d10, and I do believe it still deals standard Frost weapon damage, so 1d6+3d10.

trehek
2007-10-10, 11:25 AM
I used to have a 3.0 weapon master with a all-energy-bursts scythe. 5x crit with 4d10 bursts was a killer. Multiclassed that with a strength-domain cleric for truly awesome to-hit and to-damage modifiers. By the way, I didn't use a bane. Instead I used bursts with more energy types. Some book had them for acid and sonic. Don't remember which book tho. :smallconfused:

Chronos
2007-10-10, 04:38 PM
Icy Burst, if I recall, deals more extra damage based on the multiplier of the weapon. A x4 weapon probably deals 3d10, and I do believe it still deals standard Frost weapon damage, so 1d6+3d10.Right, that's also why I used a scythe instead of a lance (even though the multiplier is the same on a crit, and consistently better for the lance). Other burst types would also be good, but again, this is core-only. Once you start bringing in other books, you can end up with builds that leave this one far in the dust (infinite damage whip, anyone?)

Core does sort of have a sonic burst, Thundering (which I used). Except that it only costs +1, and doesn't do anything on a non-crit.