PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors help

intregus
2019-07-19, 02:40 PM
Hey playground. I need some fast help.

I'm at work right now and I forgot that I'm supposed to dm a group through the tales from the yawning portal tomb of horrors tonight in about 6 hours.....

So I've read through the adventure and I'm wandering if any of you have ran this before and if you had any suggested changes or tips to running this module.

Any help would be much appreciated in this short 6 hour window.

Segev
2019-07-19, 02:57 PM
Is this a one-off? These aren't characters they're attached to outside of running them in this dungeon? If so, play it ruthlessly. It's not a fair dungeon. Play it as written, and make them place their characters on every square they go through, because you are going to get them on every trap they spring.

If it's not a one-off, and these characters are meant to be used elsewhere...this is a pretty nasty dungeon to do to them. There's really no softening it.

Regardless, try to make use of the pictures in the book. This may mean having pieces of blank paper to hold over them so you can show parts of the book to the players. This dungeon is thick on description and small details are important.

intregus
2019-07-19, 03:37 PM
Its a sandbox game they're in so if they die that's fine but I don't want to just try and kill them also there are 5 players all level 12

Segev
2019-07-19, 03:46 PM
Its a sandbox game they're in so if they die that's fine but I don't want to just try and kill them also there are 5 players all level 12

Oh, geeze, they're grossly underleveled for it, too. I think it's supposed to be 14+.

Well, hope you all have fun with it. I do suggest looking at Against the Giants, it's in the same book and is geared for their level. Though it's a little late to switch to it, you might drop some hints from it as a possible path to pursue if they choose to retreat from the Tomb.

intregus
2019-07-19, 05:27 PM
Awsome thanks!

Eldan
2019-07-19, 05:30 PM
Yeah, so, the thing about the Tomb of Horrors is that it's a tournament module. Pretty much all it does is kill everyone unfairly. Though the 5E version may be less harsh than previous editions where you just randomly died, no save, and encountered a level 20 demilich as the end boss.

intregus
2019-07-20, 12:33 AM
They made it halfway through. They're doing good so far. Almost 1 death.

1 question though. They've used about half their spell slots and 1/3 their health.

Should I let them long rest in here since 1 player knows leomunds tiny hut?