PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I need to make a duke an idiot

Braininthejar2
2019-07-19, 04:22 PM
... hopefully without a monster attack, or a spell that could be dispelled.

Ideally, I want to leave him permanently at Int 1.

With a 14 level wizard, what are my options?

It would be good if everyone thought he just had a bad stroke.

A curse could keep him unfit to rule, but could be detected by another wizard.

A poison would be best, but the only one I could find that does int drain was immoth venom, and that's "injury", and probably hard to preserve (or is it? how hard would it be DC wise ?)

I could also cast limited wish to emulate memory rot. But the matter isn't exactly vital enough to burn XP on.

Do I have any other options?

emulord
2019-07-19, 04:39 PM
Feeblemind is instantaneous, so it can't be detected except through observing the duke's behavior. It also affects Wisdom and Charisma and makes it so he can't communicate, so that might be too much of an effect if you just want him to behave stupidly.

So long as no one casts Heal, (Limited) Wish, or Miracle on the duke it should last forever.

Blackhawk748
2019-07-19, 04:41 PM
Feeblemind is instantaneous, so it can't be detected except through observing the duke's behavior. It also affects Wisdom and Charisma and makes it so he can't communicate, so that might be too much of an effect if you just want him to behave stupidly.

So long as no one casts Heal, (Limited) Wish, or Miracle on the duke it should last forever.

I mean, that would emulate a stroke pretty well.

Braininthejar2
2019-07-19, 04:45 PM
Hah. I never realised it was instant.

That would do it.

Also, the component is a handful of mineral spheres. You literally make him lose his marbles.

Segev
2019-07-19, 04:47 PM
Hit him with feeblemind, then use eagle's spleandor and owl's wisdom when you need bursts of apparent coherence, which you can use persuasion effects to get him to parrot what you want him to say. He won't be very persuasive, himself, but he can communicate briefly, I think. (I am not as familiar with feeblemind as I need to be; I'll have to look up its specifics later.)

Braininthejar2
2019-07-19, 04:57 PM
It doesn't do intelligence drain but sets mental stats to 1.

It's a compulsion effect, but it does permanent brain damage that takes 6 level healing magic to fix.

So I don't know if boosting his stats will help - he might physically not have the capacity to be smarter.

That's something to experiment on...

Venger
2019-07-19, 05:01 PM
Hit him with feeblemind, then use eagle's spleandor and owl's wisdom when you need bursts of apparent coherence, which you can use persuasion effects to get him to parrot what you want him to say. He won't be very persuasive, himself, but he can communicate briefly, I think. (I am not as familiar with feeblemind as I need to be; I'll have to look up its specifics later.)

The target being unable to understand language is an additional effect of the spell, it isn't reminder text for what happens when a creature who otherwise knows language is temporarily stuck at int 1, so this will not work.

You can always pretend he's whispering to you and just say stuff, like wormtongue did with the feebleminded theoden

It doesn't do intelligence drain but sets mental stats to 1.

It's a compulsion effect, but it does permanent brain damage that takes 6 level healing magic to fix.

So I don't know if boosting his stats will help - he might physically not have the capacity to be smarter.

That's something to experiment on...

You can boost int to whatever you want, but he still won't understand language.

Zaq
2019-07-19, 05:35 PM
The target being unable to understand language is an additional effect of the spell, it isn't reminder text for what happens when a creature who otherwise knows language is temporarily stuck at int 1, so this will not work.

You can always pretend he's whispering to you and just say stuff, like wormtongue did with the feebleminded theoden

You can boost int to whatever you want, but he still won't understand language.

You could maybe use another spell effect to get him to temporarily understand language if that becomes important.

I think the pearl of speech might be a good idea if that’s your goal. Since it gives the ability to speak one specific language, it’s arguably more specific than feeblemind’s prohibition on understanding any languages, and specific beats general. Maybe invest in Sleight of Hand until you can help him put it in and take it out surreptitiously?

Venger
2019-07-19, 05:51 PM
You could maybe use another spell effect to get him to temporarily understand language if that becomes important.

I think the pearl of speech might be a good idea if that’s your goal. Since it gives the ability to speak one specific language, it’s arguably more specific than feeblemind’s prohibition on understanding any languages, and specific beats general. Maybe invest in Sleight of Hand until you can help him put it in and take it out surreptitiously?

It's so cheap, just pay double and make it slotless so you don't have to worry about where it is.

Asmotherion
2019-07-19, 07:15 PM
feeblrmind is ideal.

Silent+Still+invisible spell to ensure nobody notices you interfeared.

True Casting just to be sure any spell resistance won't be a problem.

Be aware that a Detect Magic can still detect a dim lingering aura for 1d6 minutes after casting a 5th level spell so avoid doing this in public/presance of the court wizard.

Some higher level Divination spells may also reveal your plan so be careful.

Venger
2019-07-19, 07:25 PM
feeblrmind is ideal.

Silent+Still+invisible spell to ensure nobody notices you interfeared.

True Casting just to be sure any spell resistance won't be a problem.

Be aware that a Detect Magic can still detect a dim lingering aura for 1d6 minutes after casting a 5th level spell so avoid doing this in public/presance of the court wizard.

Some higher level Divination spells may also reveal your plan so be careful.

All solid suggestions. Just cast feeblemind with false theurgy, though. There's no way to see through it. Mask the spell with nystul's magic aura if you think anyone will detect it 6 minutes after casting.

commune or augury or whatever will always expose you, so there's no way around those.