PDA

View Full Version : Going over my Totemist

Blackhawk748
2019-07-19, 04:23 PM
Halvena (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1940807)
Female LN Lesser Tiefling Totemist 11, Level 11, Init 4, HP 127/127, DR 20% Conceal, Speed 30
AC 25, Touch 17, Flat-footed 21, Fort 12, Ref 11, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 8
Fanged Mask Bite +14 (1d6+6, x2)
3 Essentia Girallon Claw (Secondary) +9/+9/+9/+9 (1d4+4, x2)
Manticore Belt +13 (1d6+4, x2)
+1 Mithral Breastplate (+6 Armor, +4 Dex, +3 Deflect, +2 Natural)
Abilities Str 20, Dex 18, Con 20, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 8
Condition None

Feats

Feats:1st Bonus Essentia
3rd Knowledge Devotion
6th Open Least (Hands)
9th Double Chakra (Totem)

Gear

Amulet of Natural Attacks +2 (24k)
Belt of Ogre Power and Health +2 (Con, Str) (12k)
+1 Mithral Breastplate (5500gp)
Diadem of Evil Repulsion (Head Slot item of Continuos Prot from Evil) (4000gp)
Handy Haversack (2000gp)
Fanged Mask (8300gp)
Ghost Shroud (5000gp)
Ring of Feather Fall (2200gp)

Ok, so this is my first Totemist and I have a rather straightforward plan for her in the future. Next level she will grab Open Lesser Chakra (arms) for her Girallion Arms so she can Rend as she pounces on things. Beyond that its just general Eat Face type stuff.

Venger
2019-07-19, 04:52 PM
Looks fine. So did you have a question or...

Blackhawk748
2019-07-19, 04:58 PM
Looks fine. So did you have a question or...

Well, other magic items would be good for the future and other meldshapeing combos. I felt fairly confident in the build I just wanted to make sure I didn't do some super common mistake.

Venger
2019-07-19, 05:38 PM
Well, other magic items would be good for the future and other meldshapeing combos. I felt fairly confident in the build I just wanted to make sure I didn't do some super common mistake.

You seem to have the basics down fine. Optimize for melee, get numbers up, attack enemies with a lot of natural attacks. I assume you've read the handbook already. If not, let me know and i'll dig up a link (on mobile)

dissolving spittle is not a totemist meld, you don't have any levels in incarnate, didn't take ss (dissolving spittle) (nor should you, it doesn't do anything useful for you) but you have it written down on your sheet. why?

your equipment and feats seem fine. as far as the future goes, doubling either the arm or shoulder is a popular choice for totemists since there's stiff competition for those slots.

where are you getting local from? totemist doesn't have it as a class skill. why have you taken knowledge devotion? totemist isn't a skillful class and lacks a bunch of the monster id skills.

equipment that gives you natural attacks or duplicates the effects of melds is always a smart choice since it saves you slots. if you're flexible on alignment, feathered wings graft is hard to argue with for cheap flight and saves you stuff on your shoulder slot.

pabelfly
2019-07-19, 05:40 PM
Also, what is your feat list like?

Blackhawk748
2019-07-19, 05:45 PM
You seem to have the basics down fine. Optimize for melee, get numbers up, attack enemies with a lot of natural attacks. I assume you've read the handbook already. If not, let me know and i'll dig up a link (on mobile)

dissolving spittle is not a totemist meld, you don't have any levels in incarnate, didn't take ss (dissolving spittle) (nor should you, it doesn't do anything useful for you) but you have it written down on your sheet. why?

your equipment and feats seem fine. as far as the future goes, doubling either the arm or shoulder is a popular choice for totemists since there's stiff competition for those slots.

where are you getting local from? totemist doesn't have it as a class skill. why have you taken knowledge devotion? totemist isn't a skillful class and lacks a bunch of the monster id skills.

equipment that gives you natural attacks or duplicates the effects of melds is always a smart choice since it saves you slots. if you're flexible on alignment, feathered wings graft is hard to argue with for cheap flight and saves you stuff on your shoulder slot.

Huh. Apparently, I misread Dissolving Spittle. Gonna have to replace that then. I grabbed it to have a touch attack on the off chance that I needed one.

I took Devotion because I wanted a damage booster and I have Local because I will be fighting Githyanki and so it lets me get a damage boost against them, the others are to help me cover other big groups of monsters.

So Fnaged Mask was a good plan? Great. If I get the Feathered Wings wouldn't I need to give up my Displacer Mantle?

Also, what is your feat list like?

Just added it to the OP

Venger
2019-07-19, 06:33 PM
Huh. Apparently, I misread Dissolving Spittle. Gonna have to replace that then. I grabbed it to have a touch attack on the off chance that I needed one.

I took Devotion because I wanted a damage booster and I have Local because I will be fighting Githyanki and so it lets me get a damage boost against them, the others are to help me cover other big groups of monsters.

So Fnaged Mask was a good plan? Great. If I get the Feathered Wings wouldn't I need to give up my Displacer Mantle?

Just added it to the OP

Fanged mask is fine. Feathered wings is a graft. it doesn't take up a body slot.

Blackhawk748
2019-07-19, 06:41 PM
Fanged mask is fine. Feathered wings is a graft. it doesn't take up a body slot.

Great, and holy crap that is cheaper than I thought... I may need to find funds for that.

Piggy Knowles
2019-07-19, 06:43 PM
Why are you taking Open Least Chakra for hands when you already have the hands chakra open from your class levels? Totemists get access to the hands chakra at level 5. Same with your plan for taking Open Lesser for arms at level 12, when totemists already opened that chakra at level 9.

Venger
2019-07-19, 06:49 PM
Great, and holy crap that is cheaper than I thought... I may need to find funds for that.

There's a reason it's a standby.

Blackhawk748
2019-07-19, 06:53 PM
Why are you taking Open Least Chakra for hands when you already have the hands chakra open from your class levels? Totemists get access to the hands chakra at level 5. Same with your plan for taking Open Lesser for arms at level 12, when totemists already opened that chakra at level 9.

Because doing so gives me that Chakra slot independant of my class. Effectively it gives me an extra bind.

pabelfly
2019-07-19, 10:51 PM
Feats:1st Bonus Essentia
3rd Knowledge Devotion
6th Open Least (Hands)
9th Double Chakra (Totem)

You can't get the Bonus Essentia feat until level 6.

I'd consider fitting the feat Multiattack in somewhere (reduces penalties for secondary attacks, which you have a lot of), and see if your DM will let you take flaws, which can give you two extra feats at level 1.

AnimeTheCat
2019-07-20, 06:44 PM
Because doing so gives me that Chakra slot independant of my class. Effectively it gives me an extra bind.

By extra bind you mean that you can fill up your class granted binds and then also decide to bind to the hands chakra as well, right?

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-22, 02:56 PM
Fair warning, whether the Open Chakra feats give you an extra bind or not is somewhat controversial. The interpretation that they do is the most common one I've seen, though.

AnimeTheCat
2019-07-22, 08:34 PM
Fair warning, whether the Open Chakra feats give you an extra bind or not is somewhat controversial. The interpretation that they do is the most common one I've seen, though.

I dont consider it an "extra bind" after reading it carefully. The feat states, specifically, that you open the chakra and can bind a meld to it. Regardless of whether you bind soulmelds as a class feature or not, you can bind that soulmeld. Because of that very specific wording, if you dont bind to that chakra with your class feature, you can by way of the feat because it explicitly states that you can.