PDA

View Full Version : Heal-Lock: Unconventional Tank Warlock

Grimmnist
2019-07-19, 05:02 PM
I have always liked the flavor of the Warlock class but never got around to playing one until my current PC. My group generally all build squishy dps and since our DM doesn't pull any punches it falls to me to fill out our comp so I end up playing tanks and supports. I love playing these roles, but I usually end up as the same couple of classes which can get stale. This time however I managed to make a Warlock that perfectly complimented our party.

This build is a Celestial Warlock constructed around the Eldritch Invocation Gift of the Ever-Living Ones (which requires Pact of the Chain) from XGE, which reads "Whenever you regain hit points while your familiar is within 100 feet of you, treat any dice rolled to determine the hit points you regain as having rolled their maximum value for you." Now normally healing is significantly less potent than damage, if we compare a healing spell like Cure Wounds with a damaging spell like Inflict Wounds both cost an action, both are touch range, both are 1st level spells, but Cure Wounds heals 1d8 + Mod while Inflict Wounds deals 3d10 (assuming a casting modifier of +4: avg 8.5 vs 16.5). The Invocation changes this math, now a 1st level Cure Wounds would heal for 12, still lower than the damaging spell but since Inflict Wounds requires and attack roll it balances out somewhat. Warlock is usually all about the pew-pews or the pointies so it is a little hard to leverage being able to heal fast, but with a 1 level Fighter dip the lock becomes a passable tank.

Let me know what you guys think, or if you have any unconventional builds.

My Build:

Warlock 1 -> Fighter 1 -> Warlock x (Starting as fighter is probably better as it gets you Heavy armor and Con saves)
Race: V. Human w/ Res Con (starting with 16 con and saving throw proficiency is nice)
Attributes:
Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 16
Int: 8
Wis: 10
Cha: 16

AC: 19

Celestial Warlock of course, it adds Cure Wounds to your spell list which upcasts nicely when you can guarantee max rolls. Healing Light is also super nice and since it isn't a spell and only costs a bonus action you can cast it and cure wounds in the same turn for some huge heal swings.

Pact of the Chain is required to get Gift of the Ever Living Ones, my DM gives custom familiars for Warlocks which probably buffs this a good bit for me. One weakness of this build is if your DM constantly snipes your familiar, though an Imp with Invisibility might mitigate this.

Invocations: Gift of the Ever Living Ones, Devil's Sight. Devil's Sight is nice because I can pop Darkness when I'm taking too many attacks to give the enemies disadvantage.

Fighter gives armor proficiency, I am using medium Scale Mail and a Shield and with the Defensive Fighting Style this gives me AC of 19. Also the Second Wind ability lets you heal for 11 as a bonus action once per short rest.

In terms of spells, most of my spell slots are spent for healing, though Darkness is a nice defensive tool to avoid attacks. For Cantrips I have Eldritch Blast but since I spend most of my time in melee range I usually rely on the much worse Sacred Flame and Lightning Lure for damage.

LibraryOgre
2019-07-19, 05:44 PM
Why Fighter and not Life Cleric? Life Cleric would give you Heavy Armor proficiency AND mean you heal more points every time you pop a healing spell.

Zetakya
2019-07-19, 06:01 PM
I would take Fiendish Vigor at low levels (you can trade it out once it becomes less useful). Cloak of Flies and Maddening Hex for area damage (that doesn't use your regular action), plus Relentless Hex for re-positioning yourself. Other possibilities are Sign of Ill Omen to further extend your ability to utilise the Hex-based invocations, plus Trickster's Escape and Tomb of Levistus as defensive measures.

Obviously you want to have Hellish Rebuke (reflavoured as Celestial Castigation), which synergises well with your Celestial damage bonuses.

Grimmnist
2019-07-19, 07:48 PM
Why Fighter and not Life Cleric? Life Cleric would give you Heavy Armor proficiency AND mean you heal more points every time you pop a healing spell.

Yeah, that would have been good. The only potential issue is that it is a bit MAD, needing at least 13 str to wear even chainmail and 13 wis to dip cleric. That would probably mean I would have had to drop my con down to 14 (unless I want to do super min maxing with a ton of 8's), I like having the extra con since more hitpoints means I have a larger pool to heal to.

Frankly the reason I didn't is because I always end up playing Cleric. I wanted to challenge myself to create something that plays a similar role without actually being a cleric. Plus RP wise my PC has high deception and is pretending to be a priest.

I would take Fiendish Vigor at low levels (you can trade it out once it becomes less useful). Cloak of Flies and Maddening Hex for area damage (that doesn't use your regular action), plus Relentless Hex for re-positioning yourself. Other possibilities are Sign of Ill Omen to further extend your ability to utilise the Hex-based invocations, plus Trickster's Escape and Tomb of Levistus as defensive measures.

Obviously you want to have Hellish Rebuke (reflavoured as Celestial Castigation), which synergises well with your Celestial damage bonuses.

I'm at level 5 (1 fighter 4 lock) rn, I am thinking of taking Tomb of Levistus or Cloak of Flies next level. I think Cloak is probably better for my character in general but I still need to figure out how to flavor it. BTW, Celestial Castigation is a nice name! I've been calling my Devil's Sight Angel's Sight.

Zetakya
2019-07-19, 07:53 PM
It would probably be better if I'd spelled Celestial correctly :redface:

Grimmnist
2019-07-19, 07:58 PM
It would probably be better if I'd spelled Celestial correctly :redface:

Don't worry, I'll edit my quote to destroy the evidence!

LibraryOgre
2019-07-20, 10:58 AM
Yeah, that would have been good. The only potential issue is that it is a bit MAD, needing at least 13 str to wear even chainmail and 13 wis to dip cleric. That would probably mean I would have had to drop my con down to 14 (unless I want to do super min maxing with a ton of 8's), I like having the extra con since more hitpoints means I have a larger pool to heal to.

Frankly the reason I didn't is because I always end up playing Cleric. I wanted to challenge myself to create something that plays a similar role without actually being a cleric. Plus RP wise my PC has high deception and is pretending to be a priest.

Fair enough.

Temperjoke
2019-07-20, 11:21 AM
You might want to consider 2 levels of paladin instead of fighter. That unlocks the 1st level paladin spells for you, gives you Lay on Hands, Divine Smite, and the Protection Fighting style. It also meshes well with the Warlock class stat-wise.

Nagog
2019-07-20, 01:15 PM
I would grab Paladin with first level for Heavy Armor and a little bit of Lay on Hands (Doesn't synergize with ur familiar invocation as it isnt a roll, but still nice in a pinch for 5 free stabilizations). Then, at Level 5 (As ACIs are class features and at PC level 5 you should have 4 Warlock levels), you can pick up Heavy Armor Mastery, which will synergize with Armor of Agathys to maximize your damage output there while minimizing the attack's effect on your temp hp.

Talionis
2019-07-20, 02:06 PM
How high a level will you play at?

Paladin 9/Celestial Chainlock 11 is very strong. Aid cast early in the morning off your rechargeable Warlock slot at 5th level is nice. You have awesome saves from Familiar and the Paladin level 6 ability. But maximized Aura of Vitality is very strong.