PDA

View Full Version : Fast character?

Stormingnorman8
2019-07-19, 09:06 PM
Hello everyone,

I’m trying to make a fast character, I believe I want half celestial since flight is double land speed. Maybe a quickling or Stayr? Any leads are appreciated.

Maat Mons
2019-07-19, 09:57 PM
Well, the fly speed from Half Celestial doubles you base land speed. It won't double any speed bonuses you get though.

I think the highest base speed of a +0 LA race is 50 feet, on Anthropomorphic Horse.

Monk gets a +60-foot bonus to speed. But more importantly, there's a Druid variant that gets that same bonus.

There's a Barbarian variant that gets a +60-foot bonus to speed, but only when charging. There's also one that lets you move 4x your speed on a charge. And they're both compatible.

JNAProductions
2019-07-19, 10:11 PM
Well, the fly speed from Half Celestial doubles you base land speed. It won't double any speed bonuses you get though.

I think the highest base speed of a +0 LA race is 50 feet, on Anthropomorphic Horse.

Monk gets a +60-foot bonus to speed. But more importantly, there's a Druid variant that gets that same bonus.

There's a Barbarian variant that gets a +60-foot bonus to speed, but only when charging. There's also one that lets you move 4x your speed on a charge. And they're both compatible.

Druids can, I believe, stack Monk Fast Movement AND the Barbarian's Fast Movement using ACFs, for +70' total at high levels.

Mato
2019-07-19, 10:11 PM
If you're open to evil, feathered wingsFF grants you a fly speed equal to double your land speed. This works great with the fast leg graft out of the same supplement.

Another great shout out is the rapid wrathGW which doubles your speed if you own it. Presumably it applies to both your land and fly speeds. So with a base 30ft, doubled to 60ft, the wings will grant a 120ft speed. And since rapid wrath hasn't been applied to your flyspeed yet, you double that to 240ft. A horned helmA&E costs 40k but can provide another speed multiplier (x3 instead of x2) if you truly want it.

Also the quickness traitUA trades some hp for more speed, I think PgtF has the latest printing of the fleet of foot feat which provides an unnamed bonus, plus the speed of thoughtXPH feat.

Ramza00
2019-07-19, 10:18 PM
Flight of the Dragon wiz / sorc 4 in spell compendium, wiz / sorc 5 in Draconomicon (the 4th level version is 10 min per level, 5th level version is 1 hour per level), well this spell gives you a 100 foot flight speed and then stack the various flight speed enhancement via spells, items, feats, etc.

Phantom Steed Wizard Sorc 3 (though certain druids get it per this web article.) http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20051114a well with a high enough caster level the Steed gains flight and has a max speed of 240 flight.

Phantom Stag Druid 5 gets a flight speed plus other benefits as a druid 5 spell, which benefits are dependent based on caster level, but the short of it is Phantom Stag is better Phantom Steed with a max speed of 300 feet and once you get CL 18 the Stag can cast Etheralness as the 9th level spell even though it is a druid 5th level spell effect. Remember Etheralness makes you extremely hard to hit with attacks or spells, remember Etheralness is Dismissable and thus if you want to use your mount action to move only 150 feet go Ethereal (after you account) blink, then on your next round the mount uses a standard action to dismiss this spell effect and return you to the material plane.

Pretty much those associated effects can give you great flight at high speed at all caster levels of play.

Crichton
2019-07-19, 10:27 PM
As soon as you can afford it, buy yourself Rapid Wrath, from Ghostwalk, for 11702gp. It's a +1 mighty cleaving shortspear, which is unimportant. What's important is that it 'doubles the speed of a creature that carries it' Presumably you don't even have to wield it, just have it on you, and it doesn't double your base speed, it doubles your total speed, so it includes any other bonuses you can stack in there.

For a more expensive and less powerful 'doubling' there's also the Horned Helm, from Arms and Equipment Guide, for 38000gp, which doubles only your base land speed, but it's doubling does stack with Rapid Wrath's (some argue for d&d math in multiplying, but I'd say that speed is a real-world value, and so falls under the multiplying rule of using normal math, and even if it's not, the two items don't technically multiply the same value, so they'd apply separately - one doubles the wearer's base speed, and the other doubles the carrier's total speed)

With any other bonuses you can get from class, race, or magic item, and then these doublings of your base and total speed, you should be cruising!

RNightstalker
2019-07-19, 10:36 PM
Animal Devotion from Complete Champion grants upwards of a 30 ft. sacred(or profane) bonus to base land speed, and Footsteps of the Divine in the same book can provide a 50 ft. unnamed bonus to speed.

MisterKaws
2019-07-19, 10:42 PM
Cloud Chariot and Wind Walk are about Mach 0.8 straight out of the box, I believe.

magic9mushroom
2019-07-22, 04:32 AM
I feel I should probably mention Driftwalker from Dragon #315. It makes snow squares cost 0 squares of movement to enter, giving you unbounded speed on snow (although you still have to use a move action).

Rather situational, but hilarious.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-22, 04:45 AM
Anyone know the speed of were squid using their water jet ability? Wasn't it something over 100ft?

Malphegor
2019-07-22, 05:37 AM
The quick trait might be handy. lose a pittance of hp each levelup to get a permanent 10ft base landspeed boost.

As you're a flier, consider the Roof-Jumper feat from Cityscape. You deal an additional 1d6 damage for every 10ft you fall from a height within one round so long as you do not slow your fall. This feat was not built with fliers in mind I think, since you can go up, and up, and up, until you reach the maximum height that your fall speed will contribute to with that feat's absurdly uncapped damage.

So, now you need to figure out how to 'fall' onto someone as hard and as long distance as possible in one round, and also survive the (maximum of 19d6 lethal, 1d6 nonlethal) self damage. (especially if your game has massive damage rules. you may be salsa the first time you try this but by god will it be glorious)

Scouts get skirmish damage if they move 10ft in a round, which is more d6s on the damage, plus they get a steadily increasing fast movement bonus to their base land speed.

(huh, that's a thought. When flying, your down speed is double your normal speed. If your flight speed is double your hefty land speed, then you're doubling it again... ... huh. that's a LOT of d6s to roll with roofjumper and the extras from a scout)

(presumably this all relies on you hitting the target though, so that's comical. Extremely high speed self-missile into an enemy, and you miss and splat the floor)

(As you're a half-celestial this does arguably mean you could call this combo "When I fell from heaven, it felt like this!" and then bring on the pain?)

magic9mushroom
2019-07-22, 07:31 AM
As you're a flier, consider the Roof-Jumper feat from Cityscape. You deal an additional 1d6 damage for every 10ft you fall from a height within one round so long as you do not slow your fall. This feat was not built with fliers in mind I think, since you can go up, and up, and up, until you reach the maximum height that your fall speed will contribute to with that feat's absurdly uncapped damage.

It isn't falling within one round, it's falling full stop. Otherwise it'd be capped at 29d6 since terminal velocity is 300ft per round, which wouldn't actually be particularly unbalanced.

Asmotherion
2019-07-22, 08:20 AM
Phantom Speed (the spell) can give you a mount with up to 240 foot base speed. 3rd level Spell lasting 1hour/level.

Not necesserally the fastest you can go but at least something to beat.

pabelfly
2019-07-22, 08:25 AM
Anyone know the speed of were squid using their water jet ability? Wasn't it something over 100ft?

200ft per round. No limits on how much it can be used.

Malphegor
2019-07-22, 08:27 AM
It isn't falling within one round, it's falling full stop. Otherwise it'd be capped at 29d6 since terminal velocity is 300ft per round, which wouldn't actually be particularly unbalanced.

it counts as a charge though, I'm not 100% sure if you can do a charge legally for longer than the full round action it takes?

Kalkra
2019-07-22, 09:38 AM
Even if Footsteps of the Divine got errata'd, it can still give you a base land speed of 50 ft., upon which you can add additive boosts. Also, if you're flying there's the spell Fly Like an Arrow from Dragon #308, which essentially lets you sprint while flying.

SirNibbles
2019-07-22, 09:51 AM
A 1 level dip of Blade Dancer (Oriental Adventures) doubles all your movement speeds as an untyped Su effect. You can enter starting at ECL 10.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-22, 10:56 PM
If you can find a way to count as a vehicle, or use a vehicle based on your own speed, a Lightning Turbine (Arms & Equipment Guide) will double that speed in a storm.

RNightstalker
2019-07-23, 05:24 PM

Wouldn't one be able to attack with such a maneuver? Have your trusty greataxe poised to strike at the end of the maneuver...would perfect maneuverability let you stop on a dime so you don't splat yourself?

Stormingnorman8
2019-08-30, 12:30 AM

Mind me asking what that Druid variant is? :)

SirNibbles
2019-08-30, 11:06 AM
Mind me asking what that Druid variant is? :)

Unearthed Arcana, page 58