PDA

View Full Version : Disjunction vs constructs?

ayvango
2019-07-19, 10:00 PM
How do the Mordenkainen's Disjunction spell affects constructs? Are they broken like items or survive? I suppose constructs are unaffected. So you could make you favorite expensive weapon intelligent item which are treated as constructs. If you fear it would develop ego, you could use humanoid essence on the weapon to make it susceptible to ability drain. Then use one of ability drain effects to drain one of the item's mental ability score to 0. So you get intelligent item in the permanent sleep which never would disturb your with its ego and which would never be lost forever from a stray disjunction.

Venger
2019-07-19, 10:10 PM
your analysis is correct and your listed chain of events is correct.

MisterKaws
2019-07-19, 10:46 PM
I believe Golems are only treated as magic items when it's beneficial to them.

Particle_Man
2019-07-19, 11:48 PM
I am not sure that intelligent magic items count as constructs rather than objects. I mean, they likely should, but I am not sure they do RAW.

Venger
2019-07-19, 11:50 PM
I am not sure that intelligent magic items count as constructs rather than objects. I mean, they likely should, but I am not sure they do RAW.

treat them as constructs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm)

Crake
2019-07-20, 12:11 AM
While they are constructs, they are still magic items, and are still subject to dispeling as normal, and thus still vulnerable to disjunction.

Asmotherion
2019-07-20, 03:06 AM
Golems (and some other specific type of construct) are imune to any spell that allows Spell Resistance.

Disjunction is "Spell Resistance: No" thus they should be afected normally from it.

Constracts by themselves are not immune to Disjunction. Nothing in their traits suggests so.

MisterKaws
2019-07-20, 05:48 AM
Golems (and some other specific type of construct) are imune to any spell that allows Spell Resistance.

Disjunction is "Spell Resistance: No" thus they should be afected normally from it.

Constracts by themselves are not immune to Disjunction. Nothing in their traits suggests so.

I think there's a sidebar that specifies that dispelling does nothing to a construct. Can someone find that?

Crake
2019-07-20, 05:51 AM
I think there's a sidebar that specifies that dispelling does nothing to a construct. Can someone find that?

You're thinking about anti magic field, which specifies that "The spell has no effect on golems and other constructs that are imbued with magic during their creation process and are thereafter self-supporting (unless they have been summoned, in which case they are treated like any other summoned creatures). Elementals, corporeal undead, and outsiders are likewise unaffected unless summoned."

MisterKaws
2019-07-20, 06:21 AM
You're thinking about anti magic field, which specifies that "The spell has no effect on golems and other constructs that are imbued with magic during their creation process and are thereafter self-supporting (unless they have been summoned, in which case they are treated like any other summoned creatures). Elementals, corporeal undead, and outsiders are likewise unaffected unless summoned."

Yeah, likely so. Is there no proof otherwise then? Anyways, only Golems are affected as such by Disjunction. Other Constructs are not made as magic items unless specified otherwise(Warforged don't just die on a disjunction).

Particle_Man
2019-07-20, 09:50 AM
treat them as constructs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm)

I stand corrected.