PDA

View Full Version : War of the Burning Sky: The Scouring of Gate Pass

Fax Celestis
2007-10-09, 05:02 PM
You have each been told to meet someone by the name of Torrent1 at the Poison Apple Pub a little before midnight on New Year’s Eve, and to use the alley door. This seems a bit strange, as the pub has been closed down since its owner was arrested.

The people of the city know an army is on the way, so the streets are fairly deserted and normal festivities muted, letting you travel fairly unmolested. The pub is in a poorer district about a mile from the western city wall, filled with slush-covered cobblestone streets and dark, snow-filled alleyways. The evening is dark and claustrophobic, the multistory buildings of the city looming in the night, no lights in most windows.

The pub is a two-story building attached by a rooftop bridge to a neighboring house. The door and windows are boarded up, and the curtains drawn (though a faint light can be seen upon close inspection). A notice has been posted on its door:

"Trehan Finner, owner of the Poison Apple Pub, has been taken into temporary custody under the protection of the city guard, until such time that he can be questioned by representatives of the Ragesian Empire, and found innocent of hostile collusion. The Poison Apple Pub is hereby closed until further notice."

The adjacent building connected by the bridge is the Finner residence, currently unoccupied. Down the street from the pub is a stable where some of you have left mounts, and you have been told to enter through a side alley entrance to avoid being seen. The door is locked, but you've been instructed to knock. As each of you do, Torrent opens the door a crack a few moments later. After checking to make sure it's safe, she lets you in, gesturing casually to a table where she has set up a lamp, a map, several mugs, and a small keg of beer.

Helionaluxis arrives first, followed by Sovorian, Lyanne, Cyrick, and lastly by Varcolac.

The darkened pub is mostly empty now, its many tables and chairs pushed to one wall and covered with sheets. A single table sits in the middle of the room, with enough chairs for all of you. A small oil lamp and a keg sit on top of it, along with several mugs. At the back corner of the common room beside the bar, a staircase leads upstairs. The windows and door facing onto the street are closed, and you know they have been boarded up from the outside. On the wall behind the bar hangs a bronze bust of the former emperor of Ragesia, Drakus Coaltongue, a regal, aged half-orc with a scar cutting diagonally across his face. You and Torrent are the only people in the room.

As tall and strong as the typical warrior, Torrent is a distinctive looking woman with tanned skin and short white hair. Under a dark winter coat she wears a breastplate decorated with blue wave-like etchings, and a holy symbol2 is tied to her wrist with a leather cord. Her demeanor is smooth but forceful, like an ocean wave.

Once you all arrive, she says: "Thanks for coming. Have a drink. Just because we’re about to go to war doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate the new year."

1Knowledge (Religion) DC 20: Torrent is a devout follower and a priestess of Leviatan, god of the sea.
2Knowledge (Religion) DC 13: The icon on her wrist is that of Leviatan, god of the sea.

kamikasei
2007-10-09, 06:09 PM
Lyanne accepts a mug, though she can't help wishing it was mulled wine given the cold night outside. Well, I've had a hot meal and a night's sleep in a good inn; that's enough taste of luxury to be going on with. At least this woman she's been told to meet looks capable; this probably isn't going to be a waste of her time.

She looks around at the others gathered about the table, assessing. A more motley bunch than she's accustomed to, but all look like they can take care of themselves. Her eye catches on the golden ones of the copper-haired woman in chain and shield, definitely familiar. Her brow creases slightly as she tries to place her.

While her mind works she raises her mug to the group. "To the new year, and interesting times."

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-10-09, 06:40 PM
Varcolac hangs back, hands folded across her chest, but consents to accept a cup of ale.

"Those who live them seldom have cause to bless interesting times."
Her voice is a throaty baritone; it might be sultry, if it weren't for the unmistakable burr of an ethanol-slowed tongue. Still, she's clearly an old hand at drink, and tips back her cup with a good will.

The lady in red- for so she is- takes a seat, hips swinging to one side and the other. Her leather armor is blackened by wear, and dented and scratched in innumerable places; it looks as if it might once have been the under-layer of a more protective suit. In contrast to the fraying armor, her wide-legged trousers and doublet are fine, edged in brocade and studded with garnets at cuffs and high collar.

The sleeves, oddly, have been looped at several points with braided red ribbons, the same deep burgundy as her hair, which hangs in a single thick braid down her back.
Anyone who takes a close look notices that the material is too thin to protect against winter cold, but she seems utterly unaffected.

Her emerald eyes flash as she smiles, lips thin and pale in her dusky face.
"Let us hope our age, therefore, is one without event."
Her smile fades.
"Though, somehow, I doubt it."
Her tone is more bitter than the howling wind.

Know:Religion
[roll0]
[roll1]

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-09, 06:49 PM
Helionaluxis

K: Rel checks (1d20+3=19, 1d20+3=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1308852)

Almost got the 1st one, but not the 2nd. I assume I got it close enough, and Helionaluxis knows Torrent from the religious district well enough, that we can assume she knows the 1st one anyway?
Helionaluxis arrives at the pub as early as it is safe, tersely greeting Torrent. She gives Torrent a brief nod as she comes in. She asks if Torrent's alright and, once she's gotten a reply, sits between her & the door in a perfect position to intercept anyone trying to attack Torrent. She watches the door in silence, hand next to her scimitar.

Helionaluxis stands up and greets you with Torrent when each of you enter. From the moment the door opens, her golden eyes lock onto you and seem to burrow deep into your soul.

After you pull your gaze off her eyes, you see she's almost as tall as you, but it feels like she's looking down at you instead of vice versa. She's also (except for Cyrick) much broader-built. You doubt any of it is fat, though; her motions remind you of a large hunting cat resting between kills. Her dark-toned skin has been further tanned by countless days outside, making the golden flecks scattered across it and the light-colored scars crossing her right arm stand out. The flecks flicker as she moves in the light; the texture of her skin around them looks scaly. The scars appear to be from just one claw swipe, but that claw was as wide as half her arm, and the individual scars are wider than your thumb.

Her copper hair is cropped short but sticks out a bit on both sides in back, like a lizard's spine frills. She's outfitted like a skirmisher: chain shirt, scimitar & wooden shield, longbow, an exotic kukri where the dagger usually goes.

She tersely greets each of you as arrive, sparing less than a half-dozen words, then going silent until the next arrival. If she feels a particular way about her new teammates, her face doesn't betray it.

Once everyone's arrived, she doesn't speak again until Torrent's request.

"A new year... I don't trace them anymore. I don't find the times as interesting as other people do."

She raises her mug with the others and slowly drinks it. As she sets it down, she looks at Lyanne.

"Your voice... Lyanne?"

She nods, a slight grin flitting across her face.

"Yes, Lyanne... it's been a while. What are you doing up here? Have you changed as much as I have?"

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-09, 07:02 PM
Cyrick's entry into the room is as quiet as can be, for a gigantic man in heavy armor. As he enters, he gives a short bow to Torrent before taking his seat.

The tall, heavily built man has straight brown hair that falls just past his shoulders. Intense green eyes rest above a small, angular nose that in turn rests above thin, chapped lips. He wear a well trimmed beard that frames his mouth, and is slightly lighter in hue than the rest of his hair, for an overall result that many would call ruggedly handsome.

He has a bulky, powerful build, with large, well-toned muscles dominating his body. On the back of his right palm, a runic symbol that many would recognize as dwarven in origin is tattooed in black ink. He wears a red and white tabard with a symbol that clearly marks him as a member of the Aquiline Cross on his chest, over well-kept but somewhat crude looking banded mail. On his back hangs a large kite shield, unpainted and undecorated save for the symbol of Heironeous etched into the center. A well-made but plain looking longsword hangs at his hip.

He takes a mug of ale when it is offered, though he normally doesn't drink. 'Twould be rude to refuse, after all. As the toasts begin, he raises his glass and says, in a deep baritone that carries well through the room, "May peace find those who so desperately need it." With that, he takes a (very) small sip of his ale.

kamikasei
2007-10-09, 07:08 PM
Recognition dawns at the sound of the scarred woman's voice, and the sight of her arm.

"Amber?" A smile spreads across Lyanne's face. "A while is an understatement. I'm here looking for employment... but it looks like you've had the more eventful life since we last met. I scarce recognized you." She pauses, remembering. "Are you still in contact with Merri?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-09, 07:24 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis's grin disappears at the mention of Merri. "Yes. And call me Helionaluxis."

kamikasei
2007-10-09, 07:48 PM
Lyanne blinks at that. "I will if I can pronounce it," she quips, taking the hint of Amber's... Helionaluxis'... reaction to her old friend's name. We can catch up when we have a little privacy. She smiles again at her former friend and turns back to Torrent and the larger group.

The Demented One
2007-10-09, 09:05 PM
Sovorian enters the room quietly, sizing up those gathered there. He looks to be an average-sized human, his head cleanly shaved. He wears a battered breastplate, with a shield strapped to his back, but no armaments. He takes a drink, and, as the others our toasting, takes some time to think of a suitable greeting.

After a few moments' deliberation, he raises his mug, and says "My name is Sovorian. And may we drink to the best of all possible worlds." He drains a good mouthful from his cup, and then sets it down, to attend to more important matters.

"Now that we are all here, friends, I think we ought turn our attentions to what we all know to be coming. Lady Torrent, now that we have had our drink and toasts, shall we speak of the coming war?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-09, 09:52 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis betrays one final grin to Lyanne before turning to listen to Sovorian & Torrent.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-09, 09:57 PM
Torrent grimaces and straightens in her chair, saying, "That’s one year gone.1 Sovorian's right: it’s time to get down to business.

"The city’s in trouble. The Ragesian army is marching on us, and will be here by tomorrow. Before then, we have a mission.

"I used to study at a magic academy to the south, called Lyceum. They’re good people. So when word reached them about Ragesia’s 'Scourge,' they sent out messages calling for anyone fleeing Ragesia to come to them. They want to stand against the Ragesians, and the resistance wants their help. We just need to get a message to them.

"Normally we would have sent something by teleporting courier, but something strange is going on with planar magic. The last courier who teleported into Gate Pass, rumor is that he showed up burnt to a crisp. Not that I have that sort of magic anyway, but if we’re going to talk to Lyceum, we’re going to have to go overland. And that’s a problem, because the city’s walls are sealed.

"Ever since their emperor died, the Ragesians have been trying to show that they’re not weak, and they’re marching an army in our direction, since the mountain pass we’re in is apparently 'strategically valuable.' Either way, a few idiots on the city council want to negotiate with the Ragesians, and rumor is they’re going to invite a group of Inquisitors2 into the city to look for 'magic-users who are hostile to the empire.'

"They’ve sealed the gates of the city so no one can get out, to make sure they look like they're cooperating, and only military personnel can get in or out.

"We’re going to have to get out of the city, and I’m open to suggestions on how. Once we're out, I can get us safely to Lyceum3, but before we get ahead of ourselves, we have a mission tonight.

"The short version is that we’ve got to meet a contact—a halfling who goes by Rivereye Badgerface—in about an hour at a guarded depository about a half-mile from here. He's carrying a case of vital military intelligence which he stole from the Ragesian palace, and the heads of the resistance think that it needs to reach Lyceum. We’ve got to get that case, get out of the city, and get far away from here before the idiot city council lets the Ragesian Inquisitors in. Once that happens, the odds of us escaping are—" here she pauses and finishes off her mug of beer in one long guzzle "—slim.

"I know I'd love to stay here and fight against the Ragesians, but I'm no soldier, and this mission might be more important. Worst case, you get away from the Ragesians and we can part ways a few days down the road. Best case, you can come with me to Lyceum, and we come back with an army of our own to drive off the Ragesians. But we’ve got to act fast either way. What do you think?"

1Listen DC 20: You can hear bells tolling and other noisemaking, ringing in the new year. Apparently Torrent has sharp hearing.
2Knowledge (Arcana or Religion):
DC 10:
The inquisitors hunt for dangerous magic, which in their mind pretty much means any magic used by other people. They have special skills for stopping other mages’ spells. Most inquisitors are humans, orcs, or half-orcs, and they carry metal claws on their hands. Many inquisitors are skilled interrogators, and they use their claws to slit the wrists of prisoners, forcing the prisoner to answer quickly.
DC 15:
Inquisitors are almost exclusively clerics, with access to divine fire, magic, and protection domains. They wear masks to shield their souls, and thus are more resistant to mind-affecting magic. No one has seen Supreme Inquisitor Leska’s face for nearly forty years.
DC 20:
Inquisitors cannot turn or control undead; instead, they channel negative energy to dispel magic. Positive energy can inhibit their counterspelling abilities.
DC 30:
Supreme Inquisitor Leska is rumored to be gathering information on how to steal divine power—not to become a god herself, but to make herself strong enough so that she never need be beholden to a deity. She and her followers are therefore all heretics in the eyes of the deities, and they cannot
be raised from the dead except as undead abominations.
3Knowledge (Arcana or History)
DC 10:
Lyceum is a school devoted to teaching magic of all sorts. It is located in the small town of Seaquen, on the rocky tip of a marshy peninsula in southern Dassen. Students of the school often travel the world to learn foreign magic.
DC 15:
The head of Lyceum, a diviner named Simeon, has visited all the major cities in the region and has friends and contacts among the mages of those cities. He founded his school to encourage solidarity among magic-users, and to find ways to use magic for the benefit of everyday people. Many governments think of him as a meddler.
DC 20:
Simeon has no actual battle experience, having primarily served as an
advisor for nobles and rich merchants. In an attempt to make his school seem more legitimate (and to discourage Dassen from trying to levy taxes against them) he has recruited a cadre of talented warmages and battle clerics, and has offered Seaquen’s harbor as a home port for the Wayfarers, a group of magically-inclined entertainers.
DC 30:
Many years ago, an archmage was slain at the site where Lyceum now stands. Rumors say he was entombed beneath the school in caverns filled with fire.
Knowledge (Local) DC 13:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/GatePass.png

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-09, 10:21 PM
Helionaluxis

Listen check; K: Rel check

Listen check; K: Rel check (1d20+1=9, 1d20+3=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1309208)
K: Local (1d20+2=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1309211)

Helionaluxis nods as she listens to Torrent.

"I will go with you as long as I can. What escape routes do you have planned?"

The Demented One
2007-10-09, 10:48 PM
"This information the halfling has...do you have any idea what it might be about, or is it not ours to reason why?" Sovorian asks. "But regardless of that, I will see this to its end. Even if there was not the package to be delivered, I think we would still all find it best if we left the city."

kamikasei
2007-10-09, 10:49 PM
Rolls (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3322141&postcount=56)

"Listen" - (1d20+1)[3]
"Knowledge history" - (1d20+6)[15]
"Knowledge local" - (1d20+5)[14]

At "I'm open to suggestions" Lyanne automatically starts assembling everything she can recall about the layout of the city and possible escape routes. She raises an eyebrow when Torrent finishes her exposition. "Lyceum, in Seaquen? I know it. You're right, we should be able to make it there without too much trouble, if we can get out of the city first." Whether it'll help you is another matter. Lyceum's head isn't the most likely figure to galvanize support to a cause.

She ponders. "South's the only way for us - get out the gates and past the watchtowers and patrols. Not much point in trying the indirect approach, every other direction is going to be as risky or worse. I know there's a road south a short way east of here. Perhaps one of you knows the city better than I, and can judge our chances of sneaking through?"

Lyanne turns to Torrent, clearly absorbed in the problem facing them. "Who's this contact of yours expecting? Do you have to meet him yourself? It may not be wise for all of us to go together - better to have a pair at most go to meet him while the rest find and secure a way out."

A thought occurs to her. She looks off into the middle distance and her lips form soundless words as she turns it over before snapping back to decisiveness and looking once more to Torrent. "The gates are closed, but how secure are the walls? On a festival night, we might have a chance of finding an empty building that will let us get over and out if we go high enough. Stay off the main roads until we're well past the city's patrols, and we'll be home free."

Lyanne looks around to the others, waiting for critique. "Oh, and - I'm in." If for no more reason than that this city isn't looking like a very pleasant place to stay.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-09, 11:21 PM
Helionaluxis

"Why the split? To save time, or to risk only a third of us being killed if they've discovered the contact and set up an ambush?"

kamikasei
2007-10-09, 11:29 PM
Lyanne raises her eyebrows. "Not quite so pessimistic, no. Firstly, the contact may be spooked if there's too many people at the rendezvous point. We don't want him mistaking us for the authorities and deciding to stay away. Secondly, two smaller groups will attract less attention than one large one. All the numbers in the world won't help if we rouse the alarm. Our best bet is to get away, if we can, without leaving a trace.

"That said, it depends on how much a second group could accomplish, given that we'd have to meet up after the rendezvous anyway. It may make as much sense to simply have most of us wait near this depository until the exchange is complete."

She frowns. "Torrent, did you say this place is guarded? Are we going to have to infiltrate it somehow?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-10, 12:41 AM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis looks at herself, then the others, particularly Varcolac & Torrent.

"I don't think we'll be mistaken. Also, two people in a dragon's lair is just as suspicious as four people in a dragon's lair. However, it's easier to kill just two people..."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-10, 08:04 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[edit]Odamn. An 18 and a nat 20... Too bad that couldn't have come during combat.

Cyrick sighs. "Any 'infiltration' to come should be done without me; I think it's fairly clear that stealth is not my strong point." He looks to Torrent and says, "However, I would like to know more about the council. For example, how set are they in their current course? Would it perhaps be possible to talk them into opening the gates for us? I do believe I could qualify as 'military personnel,' for example."

2007-10-10, 11:50 AM
Varcolac raises an eyebrow at a few of her companion's remarks, and seems tolerantly amused by their toasts. She seems unimpressed, though it's apparent she's read their potency- and is waiting to see it tested.

She makes a mental note of Helio's response to an 'old friend', intending to find out more later.

At Sovorian's entry, she seems mildly troubled; something about him tickles that part of her mind that receives...whispers, on occasion.

She listens to Torrent's word, hands softly stroking her arms, running fingers over the red thread.
"Walls are only as formidable as the men on them, and gates are far from the only way out of a city."

She nods at Lyanne's words- and at Helionaluxis'.
"If our...mission is as important as you're making it out to be, we can't take the risk of all of us getting knackered at once- and all of us together couldn't stop a well-trained unit. And I happen to know Gate Pass has a rather...serious-minded commander."

She strokes her chin, leaning forward and looking engaged for perhaps the first time all evening.
"Here's how I see it; I'm probably the best scout among you lot- no offense, of course, but you mostly look clanky, or burly, or otherwise disinclined to stealth. Cyrick here has admitted as much."
She glances over to Hel, and the others, in turn.
"If you're willing to trust me, I have the best chance of getting in to our contact, perhaps with some token of Torrent's so he'll know I'm legitimate. Assuming we have to move past the guards, of course. If the situation's less onerous, we can go together; and if you think that's too lighta force, myself...Sovorian, and...Helio-thingy can most likely get in, with me opening the door."
She bites her lip, assessing.
"If all goes well, the rest of you can wait nearby- close enough for a shout or sounds of a fight to reach, ideally- and I'll deliver the breathing package and the other he's carrying. If it goes south, you can clank and growl and bugger about swinging big swords all you want; it'll create enough confusion, hopefully, that we can sod off and head for the walls without organized pursuit. Cavalry will be somewhat hampered in the streets, and they can't guard every inch of wall."

She leans back, raising an eyebrow and waiting for responses.

[roll0] Awareness
[roll1] Know:Rel
[roll2] Know:Local

kamikasei
2007-10-10, 07:29 PM
Lyanne nods agreement as Varcolac concludes. "I can't fault your reasoning there. Something else occurs to me, besides. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I was advised to come here no one mentioned leaving the city and traveling clear across Dassen. Maybe you all carry several days' worth of provisions and gear on you as a matter of course, but we could all do worse than to gather together anything we'll need for the road or don't want to leave behind. If you're staying in lodgings, I suggest having someone else gather your things for you. Leave the innkeeper thinking you just passed out in an alley or found a companion for the night - just in case the guard come round in the morning to ask if any guests left in a hurry this time tonight. Bring food that'll keep." Addressing Torrent: "You say you can get us to Lyceum safely. How much of a delay will safely mean?" Clearly not finished, she eyes the cleric critically. "Will you, specifically, be looked for even if we get away cleanly? You might want to make yourself less recognizable if so. Doff the coat for the least distinctive cloak you've got and haven't worn in a while. Put some soot black in your hair. Slouch. Make sure no one can answer the question 'did you see Torrent last night?'"

Fax Celestis
2007-10-10, 08:43 PM
"These are good points," Torrent says. "Of course, I am not really a master of disguise. Perhaps one of you can assist me in that regard.

"I am almost of the mind that the best way out of this town is to merely walk out the front gate. Sure, there are guardstowers and walls1, but if we were to disguise ourselves in such a fashion as to be unnoticeable--or at least not worthy of note--that would probably allow us to flee the city without much ado.

She sighs. "...or at least it would, if it were not for this accursed lockdown. The walls of the city are patrolled, and the gates are closed and guarded, except to official city personnel and a few diplomats.2

"Once we get out of the city, we will take a little-traveled road south from the city to the border of the Innenotdar Fire Forest, thirty miles away. Some time ago, the Elf Road ran through the fire forest to the nation of Dassen, where Lyceum is, but during the last war the forest was set on fire, and it has not stopped burning since.

"This road is preferable because all the other major roads that would lead to Dassen, and thus to Lyceum, are either impassable in winter, or they’ll be crawling with Ragesian soldiers. As such, I've prepared for a journey through the fire forest. I've got potions that will let us beat the heat, and I doubt any hostile forces will be able to muster enough similar magic to follow. The trip through the fire forest should take less than two days.

"The road between Gate Pass and the fire forest is the most dangerous part of the journey, but it’s relatively unused. If we go quickly, we should be able to make it to Innenotdar safely.

"No, don't worry: Gate Pass is strong enough to survive a siege of several months.

"It would seem that our main problem is, ironically, getting out of the city. Once we get out, we should be golden until Lyceum."

1Know: Local DC 10Six towers at each end of the city, and walls around the city gates are 20 feet tall.
2Know: Local DC 10One city councilman, Erdan Menash, is sympathetic to heroes and adventurers in this time.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-10, 09:03 PM
Knowledge: Local (1d20=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1310683)

Wow, rolling well.

"Everyone, I hate to seem rude, but I think we should consider diplomatic channels for leaving before we try sneaking out." Cyrick takes another drink of his beer at this; a considerably larger one. Replacing his cup on the table, he says, "I believe in my brief time here, I recall hearing about one man... Menash, I believe? I vaguely recall hearing that he was sympathetic to travelers. 'Twould be most helpful if we could simply walk out legally, as Torrest suggested before, rather than sneak our way out. Perhaps he could aid us in this?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-10, 09:20 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis sighs when Varcolac butchers her name. "Hel-e-oh-nah-lux-is. Shortening it would be disrespectful."

She listens intently to the others' suggestions before speaking again. Her voice is slow & solid, almost hypnotizing.

"I believe the contact is guarded by the rebels, so sneaking past them shouldn't be necessary. We could also ask them for supplies for the journey. As for splitting up, our mission is to safeguard the intel. They will not guard it with less people once they have it; if they attack, we will win the first fight or none at all. Varcolac can tail us from the shadows, but the rest of us should stay united.

"Cyrick, it would be best if we left no knowledge of our escape behind us. The Inquistitors will not be as friendly to Menash as we will.

"And save your resistance potions. We won't need them for most of our trip there."

Helionaluxis's narrows her eyes for a moment. You suddenly feel comfortably warm.

"I have some mastery over that element."

A wisp of smoke escapes from Helionaluxis's lips.

(Edit: Doh, let the continuity shuffling begin!)

kamikasei
2007-10-10, 09:23 PM
Knowledge: Local (1d20+5=18, 1d20+5=18) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1310684)

Lyanne looks at Helionaluxis for a moment before speaking. "I mean no offense to your friend, if you're vouching for her preparedness." She looks back to Torrent. "But I don't know you, and even were it otherwise I'd rather you be offended by my questions than we proceed on a faulty assumption. We don't need any more surprises than we can't avoid."

She frowns. "I agree with... Cyrick, was it? We may be overthinking this. I heard of this Menash he mentions - a real soft touch for a cause that seems worthy. I was told he's a good bet for finding employment if you play down the coin and play up the glory angle. One of us could plead our need to get away before the city's shut in and do heroic deeds elsewhere. If need be, too, I can drop a few names of Dassen lords and captains to make our errand seem more urgent." She shrugs. "And even should that fail, there's likely at least one official who'd like the chance to have a well-armed group of sellswords take some messages out for him before the city's invested."

She looks around. "What do you think? Anyone up for winning us a gallant patron?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-10, 09:25 PM
Helionaluxis

"Perhaps, if we ensure the Inquisitors aren't led to him."

2007-10-10, 10:28 PM
"As you say, Hel-e-oh-nah-lux-is. I'll be sure to say it just the way you demonstrated."

She smiles sweetly.

"That having been said, the shadows sounds good, and getting out without having to butcher our way sounds better. I'm up for kissing blue-blood unmentionables with that goal in mind"

She laughs, a throaty, barking sound- incongruous in a woman, but not unappealing.

kamikasei
2007-10-10, 11:42 PM
"So then the question becomes who's suited to which tasks," Lyanne observes. She begins counting off on her fingers. "One, we need at least one person with an honest face to put on a good show of trustworthiness for this councilman." She looks at Cyrick as she speaks, pointedly focusing on his well-kept hair and beard, and the markers of his piety.

"Two, those who can get to this rendezvous without drawing undue attention. If we don't need to sneak in that's a lot easier, but it'll still be best to avoid being seen to come and go." Naturally enough she addresses this to Varcolac.

"Three, someone who can help Torrent look less like herself. If the councilman's paperwork just says 'let pass So-and-So and companions', and we can get past the gatekeepers without them recognizing you, that's as little trail as we can hope to leave in the best case." And somehow I feel justified in thinking this is another task for you, she thinks as she remains facing the green-eyed woman with the apparent 'inclination to stealth'.

"And four - if necessary, someone or ones to make the rounds and tie up any loose ends before we leave. I don't suggest trying to take the good silver along, but if there's anything any of you have stowed away that may be of use on the road we're not likely to be sorry we brought it."

She folds her arms and waits for responses, realizing as the intensity of analysis fades somewhat that she still has little clear idea of the capabilities of these people on whom her life or at least liberty may now rely.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-10, 11:57 PM
Helionaluxis

"I can accompany Varcolac to keep a watch for her. I'm local, and the guards will give me a wide berth if I'm in a bad mood."

2007-10-11, 09:36 AM
Varcolac

The green-eyed lady stands and smooths her rumpled silks, making sure her short blade slides easily from its sheath.

"I'm up for an escort, if you can avoid growling at me. That might attract attention, dear Helionaluxis. I'm local too, if somewhat...lower-profile these days. Old cavalry might know me if they saw me."

She seems to find the last portion of that statement intensely amusing, and is apparently trying not to laugh.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-11, 10:32 AM
Helionaluxis

A faint hint of a smirk creeps across Helionaluxis's face.

"Then the two of us getting drunk for the New Year and taking a stroll to discuss how the city's going downhill won't look that out of place." *turns to Torrent* "I'll need more ale."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-11, 12:51 PM
Cyrick nods as Lyanne looks to him. He says, "I know little more about this councilman, but have spent some time learning diplomatic means to my ends, as I'm sure many of your here have guessed. I think it would best for me to go to speak with Menash. If any of you know more about this man, 'twould be wise to let me know beforehand."

After a small pause, he turns his attention to Lyanne and adds, "I carry all of my possessions with me; there is no need to have anyone 'tie up loose ends,' as you say, for me."

kamikasei
2007-10-11, 01:21 PM
"It's probably best if I join Cyrick, then," Lyanne decides. "I've my own share of experience getting the okay for whatever needs doing.

"I've got what I need with me, as well. How are the rest of you set on that score?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-11, 02:04 PM
Helionaluxis

"I am prepared to travel."

Helionaluxis downs another mug of ale when Torrent offers it, to give her breath the smell of alcohol.

The Demented One
2007-10-11, 03:04 PM
"I think I might should accompany Cyrick and Lyanne. I have some way with words, if that is what needed...and, should our would-be patron decide to set his guards, rather than his mercy, upon us, I can put up a fair defense against it." Sovorian says. He grins subtly as he does, laughing at some personal joke.

kamikasei
2007-10-11, 03:16 PM
"Then we have a plan. You're sure you don't need anything more?" Lyanne asks Sovorian, looking somewhat dubiously at the unarmed man.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-11, 03:36 PM
Helionaluxis

"I doubt it. Those who appear unarmed can be the most dangerous of all."

The Demented One
2007-10-11, 09:25 PM
"Indeed. My appearance may be disarming, but I assure you that I am quite amply armed."

kamikasei
2007-10-11, 09:59 PM
"Well enough. I doubt we'll find ourselves under attack just for trying to speak to a councilman, in any case."

Lyanne turns to Torrent. "I take it you will be joining Varcolac and Helionaluxis to meet this informant? It's likely best Menash doesn't see you."

2007-10-11, 10:18 PM
Varcolac

"Lovely sight though he'd find you."
Varc chuckles.

She turns thoughtful for a moment.
"I'll need my....my lance. Beyond that, I'm ready."

Fax Celestis
2007-10-11, 10:56 PM
She nods. "Looks like we have a plan of act-..." She is interrupted by a series of muted thuds scattered throughout the city.

From outside the inn, you hear a man shout, "Front door: GO!" and the front door bursts open. Four half-orcs stand at the door, bearing a small battering ram, while behind them another half-orc points at you and says, "Drop your weapons and come quietly. We don't want to break your valuable little heads."

Torrent laughs and says, "Just try it, buddy."

Battlemap:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v216/FaxCelestis/Inn-Round1.png
Notes:
Initiative.

kamikasei
2007-10-11, 11:10 PM
Sonuva! Everything was coming together so nicely...

[roll0]

Lyanne's hand goes reflexively to the hilt of her sword as her mind races to consider their options. Before she can judge whether to attack or retreat the decision is made for her as others move into melee.

Cursing under her breath, she draws her weapon as she moves up to the enemy, sweeping around in a deadly arc as it leaves the sheath. Don't think. Don't hesitate. Just do. Her fingers tighten their grip. It had been a good plan, damn it.

She looks as far towards Torrent as she can afford to, calling out. "Get to the stairs!"

Actions:
Swift: adopts Leading the Charge stance, granting allies a +2 to damage on a charge.
Move: moves to the nearest enemy, drawing her sword as she does. If two enemies are open she moves adjacent to them both; if the path is clear to do so she moves to the far side of the door so that she and Hel are framing it. She won't risk provoking an attack of opportunity.
Standard: her attack depends on the situation on her initiative. If two enemies are within her reach she'll use Steel Wind to attack both: the first attack a 17 for 14 damage and the second a 26 for 11 damage. If only one is available she'll use Sapphire Nightmare Blade instead, making a Concentration check of 15 against the target's AC before making one attack. If the check succeeds she adds 1d6 damage and the enemy is flat-footed for the attack, a 17 for 14+4=18 damage; if it fails the attack is at a -2 with no bonus damage, making the attack 15 for 14 damage.

Rolls:
First attack; damage; second attack; damage; Concentration check; bonus damage (1d20+7=17, 2d6+6=14, 1d20+7=26, 2d6+6=11, 1d20+10=15, 1d6=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1312403)

22hp, AC 16, flat-footed 14. Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +1.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-11, 11:14 PM
Cyrick quickly stands and places a hand on the hilt of his sword. He mutters a short prayer as he prepares to fight, "Arch-Paladin guide my blade and be my shield."

Initial action: Cyrick will shift into his Martial Stance (swift) and close with the first orc as quickly as he can, drawing his sword and shield as he does (move). Once he's closed the distance, he will attack (standard). This may be a maneuver, depending on what my initial maneuvers granted are. (Could you let me know what those are when you get a chance, Fax?)

Initiative: 1d20+1=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1312311) ...D'oh.
Attack Roll (1d20+7=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1312370) Not bad.
Damage (1d8+4=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1312372)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-11, 11:36 PM
Helionaluxis

Initiative: 12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1312307)

As Helionaluxis rises from her chair, all of you feel something ripple through your bodies. The burning warmth within you fades away as you feel your upper arms bulge and tingle beneath the skin with a newfound strength. Her voice drops an octave and cracks with menace.

"You're disturbing us..."

She pulls out her sword & shield, steps towards an open half-orc and swings.

Aura Note: After Helionaluxis acts, everyone within 30' of her gets +2 to any melee damage. On the first turn, everyone with an initiative of 11 or less will get it. After the first turn, everyone will get it.

Actions:

(swift) Switch aura from Resistance to Power. (All allies within 30' lose Fire Resistance 10, gain +2 melee damage.)
(move) Draw arms, move to nearest open half-orc.
(standard) Intimidating Strike: Hits AC 15, causes 10 damage; if hit, target must make an Intimidation check of 12 (1d20 + level/HD + Wis bonus + modifiers on saves vs fear) or become Shaken for the rest of the encounter.
Stats: AC 19 normal, 18 flatfooted; HP 23/23; Fort +6, Reflex +1, Will +4; attack mod. +4 w/ rapier for 1d6+2 damage (1d6+4 w/ Power aura on).

Rolls:Attack Roll (-1 Int. Strike); Damage; Intimidation Check (1d20+3=15, 1d6+4=10, 1d20+10=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1312331)

The Demented One
2007-10-12, 06:33 AM
Sovorian closes his eyes for the briefest of moments. As he does, a circle of floating, luminous glyphs appears around his head, and a blade of light, ringed by similar glyphs, appears in his hand. He moves to within range of his enemies, locking eyes with them. He focuses on the orc directly before him, testing its will, before lashing out at it with his

Actions

Free: Engage in a duel of wills with Orc 1.
Free: Restore power glyphs.
Swift: Enter Punishing Stance
Move: Move two squares to the left and create mind blade.
Standard: Initiate Sapphire Nightmare Blade, attacking Orc 1.

Rolls

Initiative:

Concentration for Duel of Wills:
[roll1]

Attack
[roll]1d20+4

Damage
1d6+2

Concentration for Sapphire Nightmare Blade
1d20+8

Sapphire Nightmare Blade Damage
1d6

2007-10-12, 07:49 AM
"Oh, good. I'm not much for talking, anyway."
She actually sounds genuinely relieved....

Initiative: [roll0]

Actions:
-Free: Gabble.
-1st Move: Draw Short sword.
-2nd Move: Move to within striking range of Half-Orc #1, or, should previous actions prohibit such a target, any opponent within a half-speed move. If no opponents are available, she will move to stand beside the doorway to ambush stragglers from the rear.
In either case, she will attempt to Hide in Plain Sight.

[roll1] Stealth

The Demented One
2007-10-12, 10:40 AM
OOC: Edited post, new rolls.

Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Concentration for Sapphire Nightmare Blade
[roll2]

Sapphire Nightmare Blade Damage
[roll3]

Fax Celestis
2007-10-12, 01:18 PM
Torrent pauses a moment after standing, and all of you feel a wave of divine radiance pass out from her.1 "Go for the stairs!" she says, and runs towards them.2

Half-Orc 2 moves into the room and swings at Torrent with a short sword,3 though his sword misses her.

Half-Orc 1 stays where he is, blocking the doorway, and fires a crossbow at Lyanne.4 The bolt misses her completely, embedding itself in the wall behind her.

Sovorian moves forward and meets Half-Orc 2. A blade of mental energy manifests in his hand, a blaze of determination appears in his eyes, and the blade strikes home. Half-Orc 2 lies on the ground before Sovorian, bleeding and unconscious.

Helionaluxis meets Half-Orc 1 in front of the doorway, and her blade slices through his neck with relative ease. Half-Orc 1 also drops to the ground.

Varcolac moves to the right of the doorway and hides herself in the shadows, waiting for someone to enter the room. However, Lyanne moves into the doorway and uses sapphire nightmare blade to strike. She moves with such grace and fluidity that she cleaves his head clean from his shoulders. He drops, lifeless, to the ground.

Cyrick, with no enemy within striking range, moves close to protect Torrent (4G), should he need to.

Half-Orc 5 has a mighty greatsword in his hands and moves forward one step before swinging it down at Lyanne. Surprisingly, what you thought was a half-orc before is really a powerfully built human. He grins malevolently as his weapon strikes Lyanne.5

Half-Orc 4 steps over his fallen companion and also swings at Lyanne, who is off-balance from the last attack and takes the flat of the blade across her arm.6

A large boom shakes the building, and screaming can be heard from upstairs. The human in front of Lyanne swears under his breath, and something thuds against the door to the stairs.7 The bronze bust of Emperor Coaltongue falls off the wall and lands with a thud. Pieces of the ceiling above collapse downwards, burning merrily.

Round two.

1Torrent has cast bless.
2She moves to square 4F, if one numbers across the top and letters across the side.
3He moves to 5G, attacks at 1d20+3=11, 1d6+2=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1312997).
41d20+1=2, 1d8=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313006)
51d20+6=16, 2d6+3=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313046)
61d20+3=19, 1d6+2=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313051)
7Reflex saves from everyone. DC 10, or take 1 fire damage.

Battlemap will be updated when I get an opportunity tonight, unless someone else who has OpenRPG can do it.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-12, 01:54 PM
Helionaluxis

Reflex Save: 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313081), takes 1 fire damage

Helionaluxis snarls as Lyanne gets hit twice & the flaming debris leaves a few scorch marks.

"Lyanne, get back and heal. We'll get this."

Helionaluxis steps within 15' of the last two enemies, facing them. As she glares at them, you feel the power in your arms fade, replaced by inner warmth once again. The searing heat of the flames around you is reduced to a warm tingling.

"So, you like playing with fire?"

Helionaluxis sharply inhales and expels a gout of flame over ally and enemy alike, but it washes over her allies like water. Her enemies aren't so lucky.

Aura: After Helionaluxis acts, everyone loses the +2 melee damage buff & gains Fire Resistance 10.

Actions:

(swift) Switch aura from Power to Resistance.
(move) Get into position to hit both enemies with breath (15' cone). Also tries to cover Lyanne's withdrawal if possible.
(standard) Breath Weapon (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313110) (4 Fire damage, Reflex DC 14 for half, recharges in 2 rounds)

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-12, 02:23 PM
Cyrick raises his shield, deflecting most of the flaming debris away from him and leaving him without injury worth noting.

"Lyanne, pull back!" Cyrick shouts as the warrior takes so many blows. He beckons her to move back behind him, and prepares himself to meet any who would pursue the injured warrior.

Actions:

Free: Speaking
Standard: Ready action. If an enemy comes close enough for him to threaten after a five foot step, he will move to that enemy and use Crusader's Strike on them.

Rolls:
Reflex Save: (1d20+1=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313115)
((If the readied action happens))
Crusader's Strike AR: (1d20+8=24) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313154)
Crusader's Strike DR: (1d8+4=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313158)
Crusader's Strike Healing: (1d6+2=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313162) (To Lyanne)
Martial Spirit Healing: 2 (To Lyanne, unless someone else gets seriously injured between now and Cyrick's turn, in which case it goes to them)

Maneuvers:
I'm numbering them as ordered on my sheet, so: 1 is Crusader's Strike, 5 is Shockwave Fist, and so on.
Getting Maneuver 1: (1d5=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313122) (Shockwave Fist)
Getting Maneuver 2: (1d4=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313131) (Crusader's Strike)
Getting Maneuver 3: (1d3=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313133) (General's Aid)

((Granted at round's end))
Getting Maneuver 4: (1d2=1) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313135) (Vanguard Strike)

2007-10-12, 02:23 PM
Varcolac

Let's see how they like this...
Fading out of the shadows, chanting a strident battle-prayer in the celestial tongue, Varcolac slashes out with her short-blade, aiming to tear the spine from the hapless opponent who failed to spot her.

Without waiting to see the stroke's effect, she gathers the shadows and once more fades, moving as close to the (hopefully) final foe as she can while maintaining stealth.

[roll0] To-hit, Short sword.
[roll1] Damage, Short sword.

[roll2] Stealth.

kamikasei
2007-10-12, 02:28 PM
Updated battle map:
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/kamikasei/WotBS_map.png
That's for the start of this round.

Reflex: 8, taking 1 Fire damage which is blocked by Hel's resistance, yes?

Lyanne freezes up for the briefest moment as her blade passes cleanly through her enemy's neck. The paralysis is fleeting but gives the soldiers standing behind him an opening.

"Hnh!" she grunts as their weapons cut at her arms. Heeding Helionaluxis' call to withdraw, she moves back cautiously to deny them a further opening, reaching to her belt pouch for a healing potion.

She feels a renewed surge of energy wash over her as Cyrick moves into battle, the pain of her wounds fading to the back of her awareness.

"Forget the stairs!" she calls out to the others. "We'll have to go cut our way out here!"

Actions:
Move: moves 15' to G7 F5 (edit: changed on account of debris), tumbling to avoid an attack of opportunity. First tumble check is 21, second (if they need to be made separately) is 19, which I think means both succeed.
Standard: if she can get a potion from its pouch and drink it as a standard action (I forget), she does so, healing 4 damage. If that's more actions than she's got she uses the standard action to flourish with her weapon, recovering expended maneuvers.

Rolls:
Reflex, Tumble, and Cure Light Wounds (1d20+4=8, 1d20+7=21, 1d8+1=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313153)
Second Tumble (1d20+7=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313175)

9/22hp, healed to 13 if she can get her potion in. If Cyrick's stance benefits her, that's 11 and 15. If his strike hits, 17 and 21. If both work, 21 and full.

2007-10-12, 02:33 PM
Forgot my reflex save/hat.
[roll0]

Fax Celestis
2007-10-12, 03:00 PM
Oh! Further note: the following squares are filled with burning debris.:

D3, E5, F3, F6, G2, G3, G7, and H3. Moving through one of these squares counts as difficult terrain, and requires a DC 10 Reflex save to avoid taking 1d6 fire damage.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-12, 04:49 PM
(OOC: No Kami, it doesn't; that fire damage occured before Helionaluxis put up the aura. Any fire damage <10 you take after she goes will be negated.

Also, got a new map w/ the flaming debris. Created via MapTool; I can upload it so you guys can modify it, too. Here it is:
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7287/burningtavernmapck3.jpg

The Demented One
2007-10-12, 05:30 PM
"These scum should not be hard to dispatch of." Sovorian says calmly, as he advances on his next foe. He strikes at both of the remaining orcs with two quick slashes of his mind blade.

Actions

Move: Move forward four squares, and one square to the left.
Standard: Initiate Steel Wind to attack orcs 4 and 5.

Rolls

Attack (Orc 4)
[roll0]

Damage (Orc 4)
[roll1]

Attack (Orc 5)
[roll2]

Damage (Orc 5)
[roll3]

Fax Celestis
2007-10-12, 06:36 PM
A half-orc, bursts through the stairway door. He is on fire, and he was also not ready to see what has happened to his comrades. He moves slightly into the room and halts (finishing at H2). Torrent takes advantage of his surprise to pull out a crossbow and shoot him in the shoulder.1

A second half-orc stumbles down the stairs, this one not on fire. He does, however, have some blood on him, though it is obviously not his own. (He stops at I2) More prepared than his compatriot, he fires a crossbow at Varcolac2, but misses.

Sovorian delays until after Lyanne's turn.

Neither the half-orc nor the human outside are capable of dodging Helionaluxis' breath3, and they are each singed in turn.

Varcolac strikes the burly human by surprise, and he staggers from the blow. Varcolac takes advantage of this to move closer to the pair that came down the stairway. (Ends at I3)

Lyanne moves back, halting next to Torrent. She grasps for a potion at her belt but Torrent stops her with a glance. "Just a sec," she says.

Sovorian rushes forward into the gap created by Lyanne and slashes at the two foes. He strikes one, but not the other, and Half-Orc 4 lies at his feet, bleeding profusely.

Cyrick moves forwards in preparation but is unable to find an opponent to strike safely.

Lastly, the human with the greatsword swings a mighty blow at Sovorian,4 but Sovorian parries the blow handily.

11d20=15, 1d8=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313416)
21d20+1=13, 1d8=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313418)
31d20+1=9, 1d20+0=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313427)
41d20+6=8, 2d6+3=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313436)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-12, 07:48 PM
Helionaluxis

Updated Map:
http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4623/burningtavernmapor0.th.jpg (http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=burningtavernmapor0.jpg)
Helionaluxis blows smoke out of her nostrils following the breath. She notices Cyrick hesitate before the burning debris.

"Do not fear the flames. They can not harm you."

She looks over at the transformed Sovorian, nods once in recognition, then joins him in assaulting the swordsman, making a swing that sends shivers through you just looking at it.

Actions:
(standard) Intimidating Strike against swordsman, hits AC 16 for 3 damage. Intimidate Check: 29

Rolls:Intimidating Strike; Damage; Intimidate Check (1d20+3=16, 1d6+2=3, 1d20+10=29) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313490)

The Demented One
2007-10-12, 08:20 PM
"Time to finish them. Sovorian says, as he moves to face the new arrivals. He makes to dispatch one of the new arrivals with his mind blade.

Actions

Swift: Recover maneuvers.
Move: Move two squares left.
Attack: Attack Orc 6

Rolls

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

kamikasei
2007-10-12, 08:45 PM
Lyanne's hands shake slightly as they hold her sword in a falcon guard before her, ready to meet an attacker. She tells herself it's from the pain of her wounds, the cut on her left arm staining her doublet with blood. She flexes the arm slightly to test its strength, grimacing at the resulting stab of pain, but the arm seems able to do its job still.

Just the pain. But her sword is slick with a dead man's blood, and the smell of blood and burning fills her nostrils.

Stupid, she castigates herself. Sloppy. Doesn't matter how good a hit you get in if you leave yourself open to someone else. Should have been able to block that...

Her eyes dart back and forth from the doorway to the stairs and the new arrivals. Helionaluxis and Sovorian have the human swordsman, but it looks like he's more capable than his fallen companions. This is a tactical mess, she thinks. None of us have any idea what the others are capable of. When we get out of here we'll need to remedy that.

"Would those be friends of yours these guys were fighting upstairs?" she asks Torrent, not taking her eyes from their foes.

The flames cannot harm you, she repeats. Who knew just what this new Amber's capabilities had become? A moment ago she saw her breathe fire...

"If you're planning to do something, do it soon," she tells Torrent as quietly as she can be sure will be heard. Her stance shifts as she prepares to charge.

Actions:
Lyanne will wait for any healing or other aid Torrent might provide, but with or without, she'll move to the debris-filled square to attack the two half-orcs. Reflex is 13, so no damage (right?), with the fire resistance from Hel's aura taking care of any left.
Move: move 10' to G3 (15' from terrain)
Standard: If both half-orcs are still in place, she'll use Steel Wind to attack at 9 for 14 damage against the first target and 17 for 7 damage against the second. If only one remains on her turn, she'll use Sapphire Nightmare Blade instead with a check of 23, making it 9 to hit the touch AC for 14+3=17 damage.

Rolls:
Reflex; Attack1; Damage1; Attack2; Damage2; Concentration; Bonus Damage (1d20+4=13, 1d20+7=9, 2d6+6=16, 1d20+7=17, 2d6+6=9, 1d20+10=23, 1d6=3) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313565)
Whoops; forgot to take out the bonus from Hel's Power aura; reduce the damage rolls by 2. I've already done so in the Actions section.

8/22hp

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 12:21 AM
Hesitating? No, Cyrick does not hesitate. As soon as he sees the other combatants descend the stairs, he steps forward, heedless of the flames. As he closes the gap, ((assuming they aren't dead yet)) he raises his blade high and strikes at one of the new arrivals, shouts, "On thy knees, knave!" Should they not yield, he will strike.

Actions:Move: Going through the flaming debris from H4 to H3.
Free: Speaking
Standard: Crusader's Strike on any who are still standing.

Rolls:Crusader's Strike AR: (1d20+8=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313865)(Dammit!)
Crusader's Strike DR: (1d8+4=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313867)(On the off chance that hits)
Crusader's Strike Healing: (1d6+2=4) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1313869)(See above, if Lyanne isn't healed completely it will go to her. If she is, it'll go to whoever needs it most.)
Martial Spirit healing: 2 HP to whoever needs it most.

Maneuvers:Well, the only one not yet granted is Stone Bones, so...

2007-10-13, 07:49 AM
Varcolac

Varcolac smiles under her cloak of shadows, almost laughing at the pathetic shot...
"Hadn't you heard? Flames cast shadows.."
But only for so long, she thinks, forehead under a sheen of sweat...she strikes.

Varcolac will attack the strongest-looking of the two opponents that appear to be in striking range. Following the attack, she will move into a guard position nearer Lyanne, such that an opponent moving toward her will provoke, and fades.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Damage

[roll2] Stealth

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 12:24 PM
The rogue who continues to burn merrily works up the nerve to fire his crossbow at Torrent,1 catching her squarely in the neck. She reels in pain, but remains on her feet, reloads her crossbow, and returns fire.2 Her crossbow bolt flies into his left eyeball and pins the back of his head to the wall behind him. It's rather apparent that the half-orc is dead. Once this is done, she tosses a potion to Lyanne.

The second newly-entered half-orc steps into the fire3, nimbly avoiding the flames, and swings at Cyrick with his morningstar.4 His attack glances harmlessly off of Cyrick's shield.

Sovorian moves (5' step) towards the half-orc that just attacked Cyrick and slices at him with his mind-blade. The half-orc, thrown off-balance by avoiding the flames, is unable to dodge Sovorian's blow and collapses, unfortunately landing directly on the fire.

Helionaluxis takes a swing at the greatsword-wielding human, but he nimbly dodges her blow. Varcolac also takes this opportunity to move (G4); both of her targets gone, she has nothing to attack.

Cyrick moves towards the swordsman (I5) and swings a mighty blow at him, crying out a battle cry that is lost amongst an explosion that came from down the street. Startled by the explosion, his attack misses, and his new foe strikes back at him, but he too misses.5 Seeing all his men dead or dying, the human turns to run down the street (J1).6

Lyanne drinks the potion given her by Torrent, and she immediately feels refreshed.7

Round 3.

11d20+1=21, 1d8=6 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314306), 1d20+1=20, 1d8=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314307)
21d20=20, 1d8=1 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314308), 1d20=17, 1d8=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314314)
31d20+3=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314315)
41d20+2=4, 1d8+2=3 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314317)
51d20+6=7, 2d6+3=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314324)
6Cyrick, Helionaluxis: You can take AoOs if you like.
71d8+1=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314323)

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 02:00 PM
Cyrick quickly pounces on the opening left to him by the swordsman, shouting, "Coward!" With that, he aims the flat of his blade at the man, calling upon the power of the Stone Dragon to grant his greater power. After that, he runs to the door and looks out to make sure there aren't any more opponents waiting for them outside.

Actions:AoO: Using Shockwave Fist
Move: Moving outside
Standard: Awareness checkRolls:Shockwave Fist Attack: (1d20+8=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314433) (Aaaand crap. Not even gonna bother with the rest of the rolls for that attack.)
Awareness: (1d20+2=6) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314439)(Cyrick has NO IDEA what's going on!)Maneuvers:If we're still considered in combat after this...
Maneuver granted: (1d2=2) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314443) (Shockwave Fist)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-13, 02:11 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis swings at the swordsman's back as he flees, then drops her arms, pulls out her bow, and steps out onto the street. Her eyes narrow as she lets an arrow sail after him. After that, she takes a moment to look at the situation outside before stepping back into the tavern to retrieve her arms.

Actions:

(AoO) Hits AC 20 for 4 dmg.
(Free) Drop sword, shield.
(Move) Pull out longbow, step onto street far enough to get a clear shot.
(Standard) Shoot the swordsman, hits AC 18 for 5 dmg.
(Free) Observe situation outside.

Rolls:AoO; AoO Damage; Bowshot; Bowshot Damage (1d20+4=20, 1d6+2=4, 1d20+2=18, 1d8=5) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314448)

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 02:25 PM
Helionaluxis and Cyrick take swings at the fleeing man. Cyrick misses, Helionaluxis does not. He slows, but does not stop, and Helionaluxis drops her gear, pulls out a bow, and shoots him in the back of the neck. He collapses, bleeding and unconscious, to the ground.

We are out of rounds.

The inn continues to burn merrily, and as you step outside, you can see that the bombing of the city is just now ending. Torrent speaks: "We should meet with Rivereye. I hope he's alright. Does anyone need healing?"

The streets are starting to fill with panicking people, and though the bombing has ended, you can hear that a battle has begun at the west wall. Townsfolk rush about trying to put out fires or get to the shelter of temples, and soldiers hurry to their posts, slowed by the throng and chaos. All the while, bells ring urgent warnings up and down the mountain pass.

In the sky above, you can see Gate Pass gryphonriders and Ragesian wyvernriders battle. Some of the wyvernriders are dropping the bombs before entering into aerial combat. One actually lies undetonated in front of you, appearing to be a hollow sphere of clay, filled with oil and what looks like a flask of alchemist's fire and a thunderstone.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 02:41 PM
"I wasn't injured in the battle." All the while Cyrick watches the scene unfold in the street, his expression grim. He thinks to himself, "Meeting with Rivereye would be for the greater good. Better chances to strike back will come if I follow these people..." With that, he waits for Torrent to lead the way.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-13, 02:42 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis silently puts away her bow and steps back into the inn to retrieve her dropped equipment.

"Ragesian wyvernriders are softening the city for their army at the west wall. We have no time to waste."

Helionaluxis heads upstairs to quickly check for any survivors, then rejoins the group below.

Aura: You notice your inner fire disappears when she steps out of sight or gets more than 30' away, then reappears when she gets closer.

Awareness check for Survivors (1d20+1=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314490)

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 02:47 PM
There are no survivors upstairs, despite there being at least four burning half-orcs up there.

kamikasei
2007-10-13, 02:47 PM
Lyanne wipes the blood from her blade and re-sheathes hit. "The bleeding's stopped, but my arm could use some attention. What about you? Let me help you with that bolt."

She looks around as she steps over to Torrent. "Careful of that bomb. Can someone check if our friend here is still breathing, and if he's got any sort of identification or insignia on him?

"Obviously our plans are a little off kilter now, but the goal is still the same. If we can show Menash proof that the Ragesians sent a strike team into the city, in secret, before the council could make their offer, it should strengthen our case."

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 02:50 PM
Torrent nods and casts a spell, touching Lyanne's arm once she is complete.

1d8+2=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314496)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-13, 03:13 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis steps downstairs and listens to Lyanne. She looks slightly... incredulous at her comment about strengthening our case.

"Do you hear the swords? The bells? The Ragesian army is already attacking. Their wyverns are above us. The Council will not care about angering them further.

"Their leader is still breathing, but not for long. We should strip him; I doubt anything he can say will be worth our time right now."

kamikasei
2007-10-13, 03:25 PM
Lyanne shakes her head. "It's not a matter of angering the Empire. They've attacked, that was expected. But if they were willing to send in troops like this to target the resistance specifically, the chances that capitulation would accomplish anything are lowered. It makes the council members who advocated it look bad. Provide Menash with proof of this incident and we'll be handing him a weapon to use against his opponents."

As she speaks she helps Torrent tend to the cleric's own wounds.

"For that matter, if we can keep even one of these from bleeding out, we can hand Menash prisoners as well. That's got to be worth our passage."

Finishing with Torrent, she turns and strides back into the inn to drag out any still-breathing half-orcs she can find.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 03:27 PM
Fully three half-orcs plus the human are still breathing, albeit shallowly. The rest are dead, either from your weapons or from the flames. Gathering them together is easy enough.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 03:38 PM
Cyrick shakes his head. "Though I had hoped it wouldn't come to this, the time for diplomacy has long sense passed now that the war has begun. I doubt Menash will have any trouble finding means to show that submitting as the council has was ineffective; look around you, the city burns and the people flee in the streets! We need to move quickly, to meet this 'Rivereye' and do what we can to help control this battle. I agree with Helionaluxis; we haven't time to interrogate our attackers." It's worth noting that Cyrick seems to have no trouble pronouncing the woman's name.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-13, 03:53 PM
Helionaluxis

"I do not like the thought of dragging prisoners with us; our mission has already been complicated enough.

"...We could knock them out and leave them here for the city guard to capture after the battle. One moment."

She closes her eyes and her aura changes again. You feel your heart beat more vigorously, and a refreshing feeling spreads out from it. A few of Torrent's wounds seal themselves up, and all of the prisoners quit bleeding out and stabilize as their wounds mend at an accelerated rate. After a moment, your inner vigor is replaced by the inner fire once again. Helionaluxis nods at her handiwork, then turns to the others.

"The Dragon's Vigor awakens a body's regeneration, encouraging it to mend the gravest wounds itself, but it doesn't restore them to perfect health. It will help you conserve your healing spells, Torrent."

Helionaluxis quickly strips the prisoners of all their weapons and then begins hitting them with the flat of her sword, making sure they stay unconscious for a while. She stops before she hits the last two.

"If you want to interrogate them, speak now."

If no one speaks up, she knocks them out as well and leaves them in a nearby building for the guard to pick up later.

Aura: Helionaluxis switches to her Vigor aura (Fast Healing 2 up to 50% max HP) for one round, then switches back to Fire Resistance 10 aura.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 04:01 PM
With a shake of his head, Cyrick says, "I can think of nothing worth asking; we can guess who sent them and for what purpose." Then he pauses for a moment and says, "Though one things does bother me..."

He kneels down to the nearest of the now awake orcs and says, forcefully, "How did you find us?"

Rolls:In case it's necessary...
Intimidate: (1d20+7=14) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314585)
Sense Motive: (1d20+7=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314603)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-13, 04:10 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis almost grins when Cyrick pronounces her name correctly. Almost. When she sees Cyrick wants to talk to one of them, she switches her aura to Dragon's Vigor until one of them comes to. She never takes her sword off that one while he's awake, either.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 04:13 PM
During the stripping process, Helionaluxis comes across a bounty hunter's warrant on the human's prone body, as well as a claimant notice by a group called the Black Horse Bounty Hunters. The warrant looks to be for spellcasters that are not part of the Ragesian military. 100 gold pieces a head. Apparently they were here for Torrent. The human also carries identification documents marking him as Kathor Danava, as well as a bounty hunter's permit for the Black Horse Bounty Hunters.

The human scowls. "We were not looking for you, in particular, but for her," he says, nodding towards Torrent. "Price on 'er head, just like any other spellcaster within reach of the Ragesians."

The possessions they carry are as follows:
6 saps
5 short swords
2 morningstars
1 masterwork greatsword
1 composite longbow
6 light crossbows
4 thunderstones
2 tanglefoot bags
2 unidentified potions
2 suits of studded leather
4 suits of scale mail
1 suit of half-plate
4 light wooden shields
56 bolts
40 arrows
30 gp
1 portable battering ram

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 04:34 PM
"You didn't answer my question." Cyrick grabs the neck of the man's shirt and pulls him up so that he cannot escape his glare. "How did you find us? Or her? Whatever the case may be, I will know this."

Rolls:Again, if necessary...
Intimidate: (1d20+7=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314694)
Sense Motive: (1d20+7=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314696)

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 04:37 PM
He smiles. "The dog." He nods at an emaciated bloodhound that sits on the streetcorner, looking woefully at the party and their prisoners. "This'un's got a particular gift for the scent o' magics."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 04:49 PM
"I see..." Cyrick lets go of the man and stands upright, looking to the dog with a frown. "That could prove to be a problem, then... But for now I suppose we have bigger problems," he says, looking to the burning buildings around. "We should make for Rivereye, I think."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-13, 05:12 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis reads the warrant, listens to Kathor, and looks at the dog. After Cyrick's done with him, she smiles toothily at Kathor.

"My master is interested in your services. She can reward you very well... if you behave. If not, she won't be as forgiving as I am.

"You do not need to find her, she will find you."

With that, she knocks Kathor unconscious again.

"Let's go."

Actions:

Bluff: (Result: 8) Lying that her master already knows about him and is interested in his services.
Intimidation: (Result: 19) Insinuating that her master will punish him dearly if he continues hunting down non-Ragesian magic users like this.

Rolls:Bluff Check, Intimidation Check (1d20+7=8, 1d20+9=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314724)

kamikasei
2007-10-13, 05:20 PM
"All right," Lyanne concedes. "They haven't the value as prisoners that I'd hoped." She examines the documents Helionaluxis found. "I say we take what we can use, dump the rest far away, and leave them here for the watch."

She frowns as she rereads the papers, paying particular attention to the group's name.

Knowledge (history): 12 (to see what she knows about the bounty hunters, and specifically, if there are more of them out there).

Rolls:
Knowledge (history) (1d20+6=12) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1314737)

Fax Celestis
2007-10-13, 05:26 PM
The Black Horse Bounty Hunters:
This disreputable band consists of about twenty-five men, commanded by Renard Woodsman, who stays at his camp is in the mountains south of Gate Pass. Renard's second-in-command, Kathor Danava, is in charge of the bounty hunters' mission to capture magic-users in the city.

Kathor was formerly in the Ragesian military—his father is the general leading the army coming to Gate Pass—but he left recently, apparently under some supposed threat from the Inquisitors.

All Black Horse members wear an armband—red, with a black horse head, and letters that say 'Black Horse' in Ignan.

If you know Ignan:
The armbands read 'Murderers', not 'Black Horse'. Apparently the tailor that fashioned them was not particularly satisfied with the troupe.

Lyanne also realizes that the bounty hunting document has an attachment--a diplomatic passport that allows Kathor--and only Kathor--to enter and exit the city freely.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-13, 05:42 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis quickly separates the valuable gear from the rest.

"Let's split this weight and leave quickly; we've already spent too much time with this scum."

Helionaluxis replaces her longbow with the composite MW longbow she picked up if no one objects.

Loot Divvy:Note: Will add more items to Keep list if people request them.

Keep:

30 gp
1 masterwork greatsword
1 composite longbow +1
4 thunderstones
2 tanglefoot bags
2 unidentified potions
1 suit of half-plate (if we can carry it)

Lose:

6 saps
5 short swords
2 morningstars
6 light crossbows
2 suits of studded leather
4 suits of scale mail
4 light wooden shields
56 bolts
40 arrows
1 portable battering ram

The Demented One
2007-10-13, 07:55 PM
While the others deal with the subdued bounty hunters, Sovorian goes over to look at their tracker dog. "Good dog...come here, I won't hurt you." he mutters softly, trying not to alarm the dog. He digs through his pockets for a scrap of half-eaten jerky from his breakfast, and slips it to the hound.

Rolls

[roll0]

kamikasei
2007-10-13, 08:10 PM
"Hold on," Lyanne says slowly. "I recognize these names - his, and his group's.

"They camp out to the south, in the mountains, in the direction we need to go. And we've got his warrant - along with a passport in his name... and his identification.

"If we play this just right we could walk straight out through the gate - if we can convince the guards that one of us is our unconscious friend here. And even better, they won't have the documentation to get out and down to let their friends know what's happened."

She turns to Cyrick. "So tell me, how are your acting skills?"

I say we take the arrows, too. Fax, how are we doing for time until our rendezvous?

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-13, 08:56 PM
Cyrick shakes his head. "I am not a good lier."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-13, 09:16 PM
Helionaluxis

"I could impersonate him with the right magic and mindset. We should see what we can find along the way to help us."

She looks at Lyanne.

"I see your fighting's improved."

kamikasei
2007-10-13, 10:05 PM
"Thank you. I've been training. I see you've learned to breathe fire." Lyanne stoops to collect Kathor's armor. "We're pressed for time. Let's get to the rendezvous and sort this out there. We probably should take the chance to cover more than our names, too, before we find ourselves in combat again."

2007-10-13, 10:13 PM
Varcolac

Varcolac briefly considers slitting the mercenary's throat...then thinks better of it.
When things aren't so...crowded, perhaps.
She focuses her mind on her psionically empowered mount...

::Aegar, to me ::
In response, an insectoid mental chittering rings out, and Aegar bounds down the street at top speed- apparently, it's a black-shelled beetle-like creature carrying a hefty saddle, to which is strapped a beautiful steel-banded lance, ornamented with a pattern of closed eyes.

The Rogue, green eyes glittering with mischief, spends a moment in telepathic consultation with the creature, then swings into the saddle and takes up her lance, grinning- after carefully removing the thunderstone from the unexploded bomb.
The beetle-steed takes the explosive in its front two legs and rolls it carefully in front of it, ending with it- and her- before the others.

"Agreed, let's head for the rendezvous and stop patting one another on the back. Now we have insurance....so let's go meet our dear old friend Rivereye, and our dear old enemies, too, shan't we?"

kamikasei
2007-10-14, 12:08 AM
Lyanne consults the papers again. "This one may be more valuable than we'd thought," she comments. "If I'm remembering right, he has family ties in the Ragesian military - high up, possibly in the very army at the gates. If we don't have time to trade him to the council, the resistance may find him useful." She looks to Torrent. "It's up to you. Best to decide quickly."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-14, 04:01 AM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis nods at Lyanne's suggestion. "We'll discuss it on the way there, since we may fight again before we meet the contact."

Helionaluxis raises an eyebrow at Varcolac's mount. "Just be careful with that explosive."

Fax Celestis
2007-10-14, 04:10 PM
"Up to me? Well, let's go meet the contact and speak of the pros and cons of both on the way there, then."

As you begin, you pass a family in the streets. The father is burnt and barely standing, having run back inside his burning house to try to rescue his wife, whose unconscious and burnt body he carries. With his three children, huddled in coats and whimpering, the man croaks out cries for help before collapsing from exhaustion.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-14, 04:38 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis glances at the family as they pass, then stops.

"Wait here."

She walks up to the family, looks at the unconscious parents & the huddling children, and silently kneels next to the parents. The Dragon's Vigor radiates over the family as she checks the parents' wounds.

Heal check: Diagnose Injuries (1d20+6=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1315967)

Aura: Switching to Vigor aura until the whole family has at least 3 HP apiece.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-14, 08:00 PM
Upon seeing the family, Cyrick runs in behind Helionaluxis, kneeling down beside the children. "Don't worry, young ones; my friend here will take care of your parents... Is there anyone else inside?" He speaks in the gentlest tone he can manage.

Rolls:Diplomacy: (1d20+7=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1316203) (If needed)

kamikasei
2007-10-14, 09:09 PM
Lyanne rummages in her pack for a waterskin, smiling at the parched-looking children as she pours some out. "Let us help," she tells them.

Though the same can't be said for everyone, she thinks. No doubt there are a lot of others in this situation throughout the city. We can't stop for all of them. Yet as she helps the children drink her hands seem steadier, and the smell of blood less intense than it has been since leaving the inn.

Diplomacy (aid another) (1d20+6=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1316245)

Fax Celestis
2007-10-14, 09:57 PM
One of the children speaks. "Nope. Jus' daddy 'n mommy 'n us. Daddy was brave." He looks to be about four.

Sovorian notices that the dog won't stop following him. On close inspection, it bears a collar with the word "Sauce" written on it.

The father awakens momentarily, but lapses back into unconsciousness, probably from exhaustion. His wife remains in a similar state.

kamikasei
2007-10-14, 10:07 PM
Lyanne ruffles the child's hair before standing and putting away the water. She draws Helionaluxis a little way aside so that the children cannot hear.

"How do the parents look?" she asks. "I would not like to leave them here alone with the adults still unconscious, but I don't think we can risk finding the guard to help. And we need to keep moving."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-14, 10:35 PM
Helionaluxis

*to Lyanne* "Then we find someone closer to take care of them."

Helionaluxis frowns at the parents, then looks at the children.

"We have to get going, but we can't leave you like this. Did some friends of your parents live nearby? We're going to leave you in their hands before we head off. You'll be safe there, all of you."

Helionaluxis lifts up the mother, supporting her on her shoulder.

Helionaluxis will go to a house the children point out, carrying the mother. (I assume someone else will take the father.) She will then knock on their door and ask them to take care of the parents and their kids for the night.

If the children can't point out a friendly house, Helionaluxis will pick a nearby one at random, knock, and, if the inhabitants look trustworthy, ask them to watch them instead.

Diplomacy check (Take family for the night) (1d20+4=21) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1316415)

Fax Celestis
2007-10-14, 10:41 PM
Helionaluxis has a little trouble finding a family that is both home and will open the door, but one family just down the street is both home and knows the children. They accept them with open arms, and batten down the hatches when bidden.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-14, 10:42 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis smiles for a moment, then grows serious.

"We've spent too much time already. Let's go."

She then heads off.

2007-10-14, 10:47 PM
Varcolac

"We can't...well. Alright."
Her expression softens momentarily- she almost looks like she's going to go all weepy drunk.

She helps Helionaluxis port the couple and shepherd the kids; she's no diplomat, but those nearby can hear her telling silly jokes and pulling funny faces for the frightened tots.

Once the children are safely ensconced, her face hardens once more and she swings back into the saddle, giving her mount a friendly pat and taking up her lance.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-15, 01:15 AM
Cyrick quickly moves the shoulder the weight of the father, easily lifting the man and having little trouble carrying him. He remains silent and grim-faced during the side trip, and once the family is safely in the care of the others, he follows nods to Helionaluxis and continues towards the informant with the rest of the group.

kamikasei
2007-10-16, 01:25 AM
Lyanne walks in silence for a time after seeing the family to shelter, looking around warily at the chaos of evacuation and conflict. When it looks like no bombs are likely to drop on their heads she speaks up.

"I had hoped we could get as far as making camp before we would need to think about battle," she said, "but now...

"We may find ourselves fighting again before we leave the city, even before we reach our meeting if we're unlucky. If that's the case, if we're going to be relying on one another in combat, it's best that we have some idea of what we're all capable of. I know I had a few surprises back in the inn, and I don't like surprises in a fight.

"So I'll start. I'm a swordswoman, obviously enough; from Dassen, where we're headed, but north, not south. You've seen what I do in a fight, more or less. I'd like to think I do it well, but don't look to me for any flashy magic, or to sneak around unseen. I know a bit about the lands and people between us and our destination, though, and how to deal with them without a weapon when possible.

"So that's me." She smiles slightly. "Or at least what's relevant. What about the rest of you?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-16, 01:51 AM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis pauses a moment, then looks at Lyanne.

"Since we last met, Lyanne, I've devoted my life to Bahamut. I serve his followers, and they train me in return. Their power doesn't just affect me, but everyone around me. You've already seen everything I can currently do with it; I'm afraid my training isn't complete yet.

"As I learn from them, I adopt more of their traits. That was the first time I breathed fire in combat. If I were more experienced, I could breathe underwater, fly through the air, or walk through the hottest flames unfazed as well.

"But the power of the Dragon is potent even in inexperienced hands. As long as I stand with you, the Dragon will watch over us."

She turns to Sovorian, as if expecting him to speak next.

2007-10-16, 09:44 AM
Varcolac

Varcolac waits for Sovorian to finish speaking- only polite, after all- then begins, her voice unexpectedly quiet and reserved.

"I just sneak, for the most part; I don't know anyone who can hide as well as me...I can even bend shadows and do it when I've got eyes on me. I'm alright with the lance, though not as good as...well, I could be better."

The Demented One
2007-10-16, 11:15 AM
Sovorian nods, humbly, before beginning. "I am, foremost, a warrior, of some talent. As you have already seen, I am gifted with a blade of thought, which I can draw whenever I have need of it. In addition, I am of the Illumian people, the wordfolk - though I find it convenient to hide this." he says, dousing the luminous sigils that orbit his head. "And now," he says, gesturing to the hound now dogging his footsteps, "It would seem I have a companion."

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-16, 11:36 AM
Cyrick nods. "As one would guess from my garb, I am a fighter for Heironeious and member of the Aquiline Cross. I fight with the Arch-Paladin as my guide, as he guides me in all things. With his aid, I am able to smite my foes and inspire my allies."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-16, 12:25 PM
Helionaluxis

To Sovorian: "An Illumian. My mentor told me of your kind. I am unfamiliar with the thoughtblade style, though. Is that an inherent ability of your kind?"

*looks at the dog* "Perhaps it likes your scent."

To Cyrick: *nods in understanding* "Our paths are similar, then, although my mentor is more... talkative. I will have to commune with her when we can rest; she will want to know what has happened so she can respond properly."

Fax Celestis
2007-10-16, 05:01 PM
A cluster of four-story buildings have caught fire from the bombing, and a crowd is watching in dismay when horror strikes—a woman smashes out a window on the fourth floor and cries for help, screaming that she's trapped.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-16, 05:44 PM
Cyrick shakes his head and begins moving towards the burning building. "I cannot leave someone in need like this... I'm going to go and help the people of the city where I can; I'll meet you at the gates. Please continue on to the informant, and if I don't return, don't wait for me." With that, he runs towards the burning building, raising his shield over his head to protect it from falling debris.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-16, 06:38 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis's hand lashes out and grabs ahold of Cyrick's arm before he can move.

"Stay here. I'm more suited for this, and we shouldn't all risk ourselves.

"Varcolac, you're the nimble one. I may need your help in there."

With that, Helionaluxis switches to the Aura of Inner Fire (Fire Resistance 10) and runs into the burning building.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-16, 06:45 PM
Cyrick quickly shrugs Helionaluxis's grasp away and ignores her order, silently charging into the building heedless of the flames.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-16, 07:17 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis sighs as she rushes into the building alongside Cyrick.

"Stick close so I can protect you from the flames, and let's be careful on the stairs."

kamikasei
2007-10-17, 06:49 AM
Lyanne curses as Cyrick charges into the building.

"Half the city's aflame. We can't help everyone. It may be best to leave him as he says, if Helionaluxis can shield him..."

She looks over to Torrent. "How much further is this place?"

kamikasei
2007-10-21, 06:41 AM
After a beat's hesitation Lyanne follows the others into the building.

"Might as well get this sorted out as quickly as possible, if he's determined to intervene."

She hurries to catch up to Helionaluxis and her protective aura.

2007-10-21, 06:58 PM
Varcolac

The Lancer shakes off Hel's arm and moves into a ready crouch, apparently poised to guard the door- or to be proceed toward the target, if they take too long. Her Armadon also moves into a protective configuration, and she shakes her head.

"You're nimble enough. If you run into anything in there you can't handle yourself, leave it. We can't take too long at this."

She bites her lip and hefts her sword once again, and jerks her head to indicate the hard-bitten female should head in without her.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-21, 07:04 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis frowns at Varcolac and sighs before heading into the burning building.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-23, 09:57 PM
The building is burning merrily--or rather, it would be merrily if it weren't in the process of destroying hundreds of gold worth of property and exacting such a fee directly from the lives of those who lived in this building.

You make your way into the building easily enough, but the problem is going to be getting upstairs. The building, unfortunately, is made largely of wood but for the stone outer walls, and this includes the spiral staircase that leads from the bottom floor all the way up to the fourth. The fire, since it started at the bottom of the building where the bomb exploded, has proceeded to work its way upstairs, using the staircase for vertical mobility just like anyone else. The end result, however, is that the next floor is a full fifteen feet above you, and there's no stairway to use to get there by now.

You can hear the woman outside screaming off her balcony. Something about the fire at her door. It's hard to make out against the roar of the flames.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-23, 11:50 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis looks up at the former staircase, growling under her breath. She turns to Cyrick & Lyanne.

"I don't think you'll be able to follow us up, Cyrick. Go outside and tell the woman help's on the way. Lyanne, follow me if you can, else head outside with Cyrick. My auras don't extend very far."

With that, she goes up to the wall and quickly scales it. It looks like she's clawing her way up it with her bare hands.

(OOC: Using SLA Spider Climb to get up. Would it be useful to toss a rope down from the top, or would it burn up?)

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-24, 01:43 PM
Cyrick says, watching her climb and not moving, "You still speak as if I fear the flames. You will not be able to get the woman down like that; find her and get her out, and I shall help you get her down." He stands calmly as the aura that protects him from the flames falls away.

kamikasei
2007-10-24, 01:55 PM
Lyanne focuses on her breathing, keeping it even, maintaining her calm. The burning building does not bring back pleasant memories, and the prickling sensation of danger between her shoulder blades has nothing to do with Helionaluxis' magic.

"How far can you extend this aura?" she asks, managing to keep her voice steady. "Could it protect a rope? If you stay on the balcony, I get the woman, and Cyrick stays here to help her get down, that will give us the most area of protection."

((Climb check, plus any modifiers if we can get a rope: Climb (1d20+1=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1333628)))

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-24, 03:11 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis shakes her head at Lyanne. "About 30 feet, if there's no obstructions. My aura can only affect living beings, else I would have used it to extinguish these flames."

She looks at Cyrick for a moment, then continues up towards the 4th floor, going ahead in the climb but making sure Lyanne's within range of her protective aura.

Fax Celestis
2007-10-27, 02:33 PM
Helionaluxis proceeds up the wall with some effort, her aura protecting her from the raging flames. There are screams coming from the fourth floor only: either anyone else in the building is dead, or wasn't here when the bombing began. Since it's the new year, it's a pretty safe assumption that they were out celebrating.

Lyanne is close behind, but is having a harder time with the wall than Helionaluxis is.

Helionaluxis comes to a closed door burning merrily--well, as merrily as a house fire can be--where the screams are coming from. The fire up here is intense: it looks like it found a highly flammable substance somewhere, and it's more than just a wood fire now. Maybe grease, perfume, or even just wood treatment. In any case, it's a pretty intense flame, and taking her out through it would probably kill her--or the infant she holds in her arms.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-27, 04:09 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis hesitates a moment, then steps through the flames towards the pair, keeping an eye open to make sure Lyanne's still within range.

(OOC: I will back up if it causes more than 10 damage through my fire resistance aura, else I walk through it to the pair.)

Fax Celestis
2007-10-27, 04:18 PM
Helionaluxis keeps Lyanne within the range of her aura, but even she suffers mild burns at the hands of the fire.

Fire (3d6=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1339014)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-10-27, 05:07 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis just grits her teeth and muffles a grunt of agony; it wouldn't do any good to scare them, to have them realize she didn't have the situation under control.

She puts a hand on the frightened mother's shoulder & looks her in the eye.

"Calm down. Bahamut is watching over us. We'll get you out."

Helionaluxis quickly looks around for some unburnt cloth & rips it off, handing it to the mother.

"Swaddle the baby. I'll carry him in my backpack down."

Helionaluxis quickly opens her backpack and empties it, dumping out a coil of rope with grappling hook & a bedroll. She dumps the bedroll off the balcony & sets the grappling hook, then plops the open backpack in front of the mother.

"You'll have to climb down yourself. I'm sorry, but I can't take both of-"

She looks the woman up & down again, then reconsiders.

"I can take both of you. Swaddle the baby, put him in the backpack, I'll carry the backpack, you hang on to me while I climb down. It's risky, but it's the safest way."

She turns back to Lyanne in the doorway.

"Go back down! The flames are too hot to cross; we can't go out this way! I'll climb down with them; get back outside and be ready to help if something goes wrong!"

She turns back to the woman and watches her progress.

"I'm as skilled at scaling walls as a dragon; you'll be fine as long as you can hold on to me."

kamikasei
2007-10-28, 08:06 AM
Lyanne hesitates at the door for a moment, far from unhappy at the idea of leaving the fire behind, but unwilling to abandon Helionaluxis and the woman. A thought occurs.

"Here," she calls, throwing Helionaluxis one of her waterskins. "Try soaking the baby's swaddling, use damp cloths to breathe through. It'll help fight the heat, and the smoke."

She looks down to where Cyrick waits below.

"We'll wait for you outside - catch you if you fall. I'll see if our employer has anything that will help."

She turns back from the door to make her way back downstairs.

Proven_Paradox
2007-10-28, 08:53 PM
Cyrick nods as he hears the shouting. "I shall wait outside below the window, to help bring them down!" he shouts, before heading out the door, placing his shield between himself and the worst of the flames.

rangerwickett
2007-10-31, 04:20 PM
*glances around*

Where's the DM? You've got an audience to entertain.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-02, 04:23 PM
Leanne meets Cyrick downstairs without incident--well, no more incident than a burning building would normally provide--and the two dash out the door. Helionaluxis begins working her way down the wall, the woman and child in her arms.

The building seems to be coming apart at this point: the superheated masonry appears to be cracking, and the top of the building has started shedding stones like a wet dog with dandruff.

Helionaluxis: I need a Str check to hold onto the pair.
Those of you on the ground: what're you doing?

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-02, 04:45 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis tries to climb down as quickly as possible (15' Climb speed w/ Heavy load). Once on the ground, she guides them, and anyone else, away from the collapsing building.

Str Check: 13
Str check (1d20+2=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1350014)

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-02, 06:38 PM
Cyrick waits below, looking worried as the building begins crumbling. He looses his shield and drops it, waiting below Helionaluxis in case something should go awry.

Cyrick will stand below the descending group and try to either catch them if they should fall, or as least cushion their fall at his expense, quite possibly in a manner that would be quite comical in a less serious context. He'll attempt to dodge and stones that he can without moving too far away from the descending group. Any stones he would have to move out of the way to dodge, he'll just take like a man. Assuming they're not so big as to kill him; he's not stupid. He will prioritize catching the woman on Helio's back, hoping Helio herself is hardy enough to survive the fall, should she drop.

Since I can see probable need for these, a pre-emptive strength check and reflex save-
Strength Check: (1d20+4=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1350320)(Bah)
Reflex Save: (1d20+1=17) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1350322)

kamikasei
2007-11-03, 08:22 AM
Lyanne gestures at the others from the inn to start herding the crowd away from the unstable-looking building, hoping they'll understand her meaning over the crackling of the flames and the cracking of masonry. Positioning herself beside Cyrick, she readies herself to assist Helionaluxis and her charges should their climb take a turn for the worse.

More or less the same action as Cyrick... she'll be trying to dodge anything nasty, but it looks like she'll be failing.

Strength, Reflex (1d20+3=19, 1d20+4=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1351185)

Fax Celestis
2007-11-07, 06:32 PM
OOC: Okay, that's enough of a chance for the others. I'll see what I can do about grabbing some of the alts to put in soon.

Helionaluxis climbs part of the way down the building before being struck by a piece of debris.1 The infant is unharmed, but the woman is knocked out of Helionaluxis' grasp and begins the plummet to the street below. Cyrick rushes forward and manages to catch her before any harm, but as he is recovering, another piece of the building tumbles towards them. Unable to avoid the blow, their fate seems sealed until Lyanne miraculously dives through the air and pushes the flaming piece of debris at the last second2, diverting it just enough to where it crashes into the ground next to Cyrick and his ward.

Helionaluxis, no longer encumbered, manages the rest of the way without issue. Lyanne nurses her hands, and Cyrick--a bit shocked, actually, but still in command--sets the lady on her feet, checks to see if she's alright, and brushes his hands off.

The building, at this point, seems a lost cause, but the woman is grateful for her life and that of her child's.

1 Helionaluxis: Nonlethal + Fire (1d6+1=7) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1359597) (6 nonlethal, 1 fire)
2 Lyanne: 1 fire damage from contact with the flaming debris.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-07, 10:08 PM
Helionaluxis

(OOC: BTW, Helionaluxis's aura negates the fire damage on herself & Lyanne.)

Helionaluxis grunts as the debris hits her, then looks on in horror when the mother falls.

"NO!"

She quickly scales down the rest of the building and rushes over, quickly checking on the mother & the child. She's visibly relieved when she sees their safe. She nods in response to the mother's thanks.

Helionaluxis: "We could do no less. May Bahamut shelter you under his wing."

She turns to the others.

"Let's get going again."

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-08, 12:16 AM
Cyrick nods and mutters thanks to Lyanne as he puts the woman down, quickly regaining his composure. He looks to the woman and, after Helionaluxis finishes speaking, says, "Find a safe place as swiftly as you can. We must take our leave; may the gods be with you and your child." With that, he scoops up his shield and readies it again on his right arm, ready to continue the treck. He quickly scans about looking for the others.

Rolls:Spot: (1d20+2=8) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1360448) (Can't see sh*t, captain!)

kamikasei
2007-11-09, 09:10 AM
Lyanne flexed her - surprisingly - unburnt hands. I guess I have Helionaluxis to thank for that. Next time, try to remember to push the people out of the way. They at least tend not to be on fire. Still, she felt undeniable relief that their intervention had paid off.

"Aye," she chimed in when Helionaluxis spoke. "Let's get on; we're still working to a deadline."

Fax Celestis
2007-11-10, 02:31 PM
Torrent merely nods, a bit awestruck by the whole ordeal, before leading the party forward.

The road ahead is blocked by a mob of people. Some are looting, but most are attempting to get out of town. The more observant of you1 notice overhead that there is fighting going on above. Looks to be Gate Pass griffinriders combating invading wyvernmasters.

Panic spreads through the mob in an ascending wave.2 The reason for this is rather more apparent: a reddish dragon-shaped beast flies overhead, terror trailing in its wake. Flames blast from its throat and take out a number of both griffin- and wyvern-riders, though it appears to be indiscriminately discriminate: its primary targets are the griffins, but if a wyvern gets in the way, no big loss.

1 Awareness (DC 15)
2 Will save (DC 21) or be panicked. Draconic creatures are immune.

kamikasei
2007-11-10, 03:10 PM
Awareness, Concentration/Will (1d20+1=16, 1d20+10=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1365726)

...ah, shazbot. Assuming this is an actual dragon, [roll0].

Lyanne happens to be looking overhead, her eye caught by the fliers above, when the beast passes. Though she attempts to steel herself for danger when she sees the panic building among the crowd, her resolve melts and the calming mantra dies on her lips as the creature comes into view. Awareness of their dire peril sinks in like a blade of ice in her gut.

"Flee!" she shrieks at the others, taking her own advice without stopping to check if they do the same, heedless of whether the direction she chooses leads towards their goal so long as it seems to lead away from the threat.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-10, 03:52 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis strides towards the crowd, looking around. Her vision is pulled upwards as she sees an enormous shadow flit across the ground.

Now they're unleashing dragons on our city... Adravorungis will not be pleased.

She steps out of the way of the fleeing crowd and looks back at the party, only to see some of them succumb to fear.

Dammit... why can't we all be draconics?

She rushes after her fellow party members, gently trying to coerce them into staying together...

"No, not that way, this way to safety!"

...which is as useful as extinguishing a building with a bucket of water. Helionaluxis's eyes flare up when she sees it isn't working. She snarls at her fleeing comrades as she runs alongside them, smoke issuing from her nostrils & her voice dropping an octave to a scratchy, booming tone.

"You yellow-bellied cowards! Keep your minds together or you'll run straight into the jaws of that beast! This way, go this way!"

Being dragonblooded, Helionaluxis is immune to a dragon's frightful presence.

Awareness: 15
Awareness (Dragon) (1d20+1=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1365759)

Diplomacy: 6
Intimidation: 19
Diplomacy; Intimidation (Regroup) (1d20+4=6, 1d20+9=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1365790)

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-10, 06:18 PM
Rolls:Awareness: (1d20+2=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1365983)(Hey, I can see it!)
Will save: (1d20+2=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1365988)(I would like to state now that THIS is the reason I find it ridiculous that crusaders don't either get good will saves or some form of fear immunity. Also, this would still fail even with the cha-to-will-saves I forgot.)

Cyrick panics along with the others and runs the other way. Totally going to have a complex about that later.

The_Snark
2007-11-10, 07:23 PM
In the fleeing crowd, a figure stands out by simple virtue of the fact that she is not fleeing. A wiry young woman stands among the crowd, moving in its general direction, but only to avoid being trampled beneath the mob; she stares upward, gaze following the fast-moving beast as it swoops out of sight.

A knot of people nearly run over her as she gazes upward, nearly knocking her to the ground, and the red-haired young woman seems to realize the danger she might be in for the first time. She hears someone issuing directions, and right now they seem as good as any others to her. So there is someone defending this city. Or perhaps defending her own. She catches sight of the speaker, running with the rest. Oh... yes. Time to be leaving, she realizes, glancing back up at the skies.

She runs after the woman and her companions, taking note as she does of their size and the weapons they carry. Mercenaries, or the local army? Well, either way, best follow them, she decides. On a whim, she catches up to them, running alongside them opposite the shouting woman to keep them splitting off. Sideways glances at them, almost precipitating a stumble, reveal she's not as unnerved by the dragon's presence as everyone else is at the moment.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-10, 08:07 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis's eyes lock with the red-haired woman's, regarding her for a moment. Her gaze, regal yet predatory, reminds the woman of the beast she saw earlier.

Helionaluxis nods to the woman, ever so slightly, before returning to herding her teammates through the sheer force of her voice.

2007-11-10, 10:16 PM
[roll0] will save.
[roll1] awareness.

If panicked:
Varcolac mounts her beast and spurs it after Lyanne- reasoning that near the apparently potent fighter is a good way to stay alive...and staying alive is what matters right now.
She pushes her hair- disheveled by sweat and ash- out of her eyes and blinks back shame.

The unlikely one:
Varcolac gapes up at the scaled horror and gasps audibly, hefting her sword in a useless gesture before mounting and turning to follow Helionaluxis.

kamikasei
2007-11-11, 05:40 PM
Lyanne seems to return to herself somewhat at Helionaluxis' challenge, her fear visibly turning to anger, though it looks to be directed inward rather than toward the other woman. Shamefaced, she takes a few deep breaths to steady herself.

"You're right... I... -where are the others?"

She looks around to see if she can locate Cyrick or Sovorian while the panicked crowd parts around and buffets against her. If she spots either, she heads towards them to rein them in; if not, she'll follow Helionaluxis' lead.

[roll0] to find the others.

If Helionlauxis' Intimidate check wouldn't be sufficient to achieve the desired calming effect, then I guess you can assume Lyanne was running around for the duration of the fear effect until being caught.

I should also mention that I'm moving in the next few days to start a new job. I should be able to keep up checking/posting once a day at minimum, but in the event that anything gets held up a day or more waiting for me, Fax should feel free to decide Lyanne's actions.

The_Snark
2007-11-14, 01:45 AM
The red-haired woman returns the other woman's gaze curiously, stumbling a bit but holding eye contact; even after the other woman looks away, she continues to look that way. Her own eyes are a strikingly vivid blue, visible even at a run. Not just a soldier, then... She moves just ahead of one of the running people, slowing slightly to try to slow her down.

Intimidate to aid another, I suppose: [roll0]

Sorry, can't think of all that much to do until people stop running blindly...

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-14, 02:17 AM
Helionaluxis

The red-haired woman, when she looks into Helionaluxis's eyes, will notice they're so golden they shine in the firelight.

kamikasei
2007-11-15, 01:55 PM
Emulating Helionaluxis' example, Lyanne chases after the panicked Cyrick, alternately cajoling and threatening.

"Come on! We've a job to do, a lot of people are depending on us! ...And if you fail them, the dragon will be the least of your worries, believe me!"

Diplomacy, Intimidate (1d20+6=10, 1d20+6=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1375246)

Fax Celestis
2007-11-15, 04:59 PM
Helionaluxis and the new woman get Lyanne and Cyrick to snap out of their panics. Varcolac is shaken, but remains in a modicum of control. But where the party is now not in a state of panic, the rest of the mob is. From atop a rampart, a guard screams and dives into the crowd below, not rising to his feet as far as any of you can see.

Several bodies from both wyvern- and griffin-riders, burning from the dragon's breath, plummet into the mob, crushing several under their dead weight.

Torrent shakes her head and yells over the din. "See that tower?" she says, pointing to a tower on the other side of the mob and the gate. "That's where we're going. The problem is now going to be getting there."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-15, 05:54 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis looks around. "Where did Sovorian go..."

He'll have to take care of himself for now. It's too dangerous out here to stick around for long.

She looks above to make sure nothing else is falling from above, then looks at the others.

"Are we just going to push through the mob, or does someone have a better plan?"

She looks at the new woman, observing her for a moment before she speaks again. "What about you?"

The_Snark
2007-11-15, 06:08 PM
"I'd rather not be sticking around here either, I think." The red-haired woman regards them steadily by turns. "Or did you mean, do I had a way of getting through the crowd?" She looks at the mass of people. "I suppose we could try to frighten our way through people, but I don't know if it would work any better than bludgeoning our way through." She has a spear on her back, tucked over a pack, but apparently she doesn't think much of the second option, because she doesn't make any move towards it.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-15, 06:09 PM
Cyrick snaps out of his panic, and immediately his expression darkens. He says nothing to the others as he takes a look around, trying to spot an alternate route, the shame in his eyes deepening with each death he spies that he can do nothing to prevent.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-15, 08:37 PM
Helionaluxis

"It may come to that. They might clear out if they can get through the gate."

Helionaluxis looks at Varcolac as she places a hand on Cyrick's shoulder.

"Do you think you can ride to the gate and get it open?"

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-16, 10:28 AM
Cyrick flinches away from Helion's touch, but at her query, he nods hesitantly. "I think so, aye," he shouts to be heard.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-16, 02:21 PM
The mob does not appear to be going anywhere anytime soon, at least as long as the gate remains closed.

kamikasei
2007-11-16, 02:27 PM
"I'll help at the gate. The guards may well see the merit of the idea with little persuasion, but if not or of they've fled too, we'll need muscle there." Lyanne looks from Varcolac, to her mount, to Cyrick and Helionaluxis. "Do you mean to take this beast there? It might help part the crowd, but its load will be at some risk."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-16, 03:07 PM
Helionaluxis

"Would you rather go through it on foot?"

kamikasei
2007-11-16, 05:53 PM
"If we keep a tight formation and stick together, yes, I would. These people are panicked beyond self-preservation, if we try to push through with the insect many of them will likely end up trampled, either by us or by others trying to flee us." Lyanne isn't looking at Helionaluxis as she speaks; she's eying the walls around them, giving her points the air of thoughts spoken aloud. "...Of course, if we could disperse the crowd altogether first, before trying to push through it at all... That ridiculous feat of climbing you pulled off back there, could you do it again, perhaps get to the gate that way?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-16, 08:04 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis shakes her head as she pulls out her shield.

"I can only do it once a day. It will not help us here."

She looks around for anyone else trying to calm down or disperse the crowd, like lone soldiers.

2007-11-16, 11:00 PM
Varcolac

"I don't have any real objections to trying to scatter them. Lacrolus here can be very unnerving if you're not used to him. And I doubt we can trample them any faster than they're trampling themselves."

She pats the creature's wide abdomen affectionately.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-17, 12:49 AM
At the talk of trampling bystanders, Cyrick shakes his head. "There must be a better way." He continues looking around, searching for a backalley or another way around the mob.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-17, 03:47 AM
Helionaluxis

If Cyrick can't find an alternate way around within a few moments:

Helionaluxis grabs Cyrick's arm and turns him around to face her.

"If we open that gate, they'll disperse. Let's push through; our delay is costing lives."

Helionaluxis readies her shield.

"Shields and strongarms on the edge, vulnerables inside. Let's push."

If everyone else joins in, Helionaluxis begins pushing her way through the crowd once everyone's ready.

(Aura: Switched to Fast Healing 2 to mend anyone down nearby without stopping.)

kamikasei
2007-11-17, 08:57 AM
"I suppose Lacrolus will have to get to the gate one way or another," Lyanne muses.

With a glance up to the sky in the direction the dragon passed, she steps up beside Helionaluxis, gesturing towards Cyrick to take point between them. "We'll try to break a trail for you to follow," she tells Varcolac. "Just be careful of what you're carrying. The rest of you, I suggest you get between us and Varcolac. Everyone stick together - if you can get a grip on one another, all the better."

The_Snark
2007-11-21, 02:24 AM
The red-haired woman glances towards the crowd as if considering; then, she shrugs, pulling the spear from her back and hefting it with the point up in the air and the butt out. She takes a spot on the side—there really doesn't seem to be much room anywhere else, and although she's slender, she looks to have a wiry sort of strength.

Fax Celestis
2007-11-27, 12:20 PM
Sorry everyone. I hate this season, and it's hating me right back. I'll try to be less of a flake than I have been. In the meantime...

The group manages to push their way through the mob with little difficulty, though there are a few moments when things get a bit intense. You find the guard you saw fall from the rampart earlier, but he doesn't appear to have made it. You're not sure if it was the fall or the subsequent trampling that did it. He does, however, have a keyring on his belt, one of which fits into the gatehouse door that's locked not fifteen feet from his body.

You grab the keys and open the door to find a timid man in a guard uniform trembling in a corner of the small room. To his left is a winch system that looks like it'll open the gate. He stands when you enter, and says, "Hey, you can't be in here!"

Looks like he just remembered his duties.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-27, 02:10 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis stares at the timid man.

"The crowd outside will crush itself to death unless it can flee through the gate. Either you, or we, are opening that gate."

Diplomacy, Aid Another: +2 to Cyrick's Diplomacy roll
Diplomacy (Aid Another) (1d20+4=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1394713)

If the guard still refuses to let us open the gate after a Diplomacy check:

Helionaluxis steps towards the guard, towering even further above him.

"The first duty of any city guard is to safeguard its citizens! If you refuse to do even that, then get out of the way for someone who will!"

Intimidation check: 13
Intimidation check (1d20+9=13) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1394726)

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-27, 06:25 PM
If there's a window that looks down to the other side of the gate, Cyrick will look out of it to make sure nothing nasty awaits the people below should the gate be opened.

Assuming there's nothing there--

Cyrick looks the man over and steps forward after Helionaluxis says her share. His voice is intense as he says, "You wear the garb of this city's guard. Tell me, what are your duties here? Are you a guard to protect the people, or to protect this gate? People are dying because this gate remains closed! If you are a guard to protect these people, open the gates so that they may escape! If you are a guard to protect this gate, then step aside and let a protector of the people do what needs to be done!"

Rolls:Diplomacy: (1d20+7=22) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1395251) (24 with the aid another from Helionaluxis)
Intimidate: (1d20+7=27) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1395269) (Only if it's necessary. Also; WOOOOO NAT 20!)

Fax Celestis
2007-11-27, 06:55 PM
The man startles at such force, snaps a salute, and throws the mechanism into gear. The doors begin opening, and the mob abates slightly as people find breathing room.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-27, 08:48 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis briefly grins at Cyrick, then turns back to the guard.

"We need to pass through them as well. Continue manning the gates once we're gone."

She then tosses him the keys (unless anyone objects) and heads back outside to pass through the gate.

The_Snark
2007-11-27, 08:52 PM
A bit of an idealist, the knight, decides the red-haired newcomer as she listens. But not a soldier here, it seems, although the others sound the type... She looks out the window as the gates open, spear leaning against the wall. She watches the crowd begin to flood outwards for a minute, then turns back towards the inside of the room and follows the other woman back outside. "Where are you headed next?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-27, 11:00 PM
Helionaluxis

"Out of here, to the south. Somewhere we can prepare to fight back. You plan to come along? If our leader okays it..." She gestures back to Torrent, then leans against the wall and silently watches the crowd disperse below, glancing over at the newcomer occasionally.

The_Snark
2007-11-27, 11:06 PM
"If you don't mind." She glances at the white-haired woman indicated. "I'd rather not be travelling alone with an invasion on the way, and south is as good as any other direction for me," she replies.

After a moment, she extends a hand. "Jenair. You?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-27, 11:15 PM
Helionaluxis

"Helionaluxis, servant of Bahamut." She takes Jenair's hand and shakes it firmly.

Now that she mentions it, Jenair might notice numerous patches of gold scales scattered across Helionaluxis's skin, especially around the large scars on her arm. She probably also feels a slight tingling when she's around Helionaluxis, like she's radiating magic.

The_Snark
2007-11-27, 11:50 PM
Jenair

Jenair returns the firm grip. The red-haired woman has prominent facial features—a strong jaw, a long, narrow nose—and her eyes, upon closer inspection, are almost unnaturally blue, as if the color of her iris has spilled over into her pupils and sclera. Those eyes studiy Helionaluxis with interest, lingering thoughtfully around the scars, although she doesn't ask the obvious question.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-28, 12:37 AM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis's eyes lock on Jenair's, then try to look past them. She follows her gaze down to the scars.

"Dragon claws."

She returns to staring at Jenair's eyes, waiting silently.

kamikasei
2007-11-28, 07:41 AM
Lyanne edges up to Torrent and speaks quietly enough that she hopes the new arrival will be unable to hear. "Are you okay with taking her to the rendezvous? We could well use her; Sovorian appears to have been lost in the crush. If you think it's too much of a risk, we can try to shake her, though it'll be harder now that the crowd's dispersed."

Whichever way the cleric answers Lyanne drops back after to walk alongside Helionaluxis and Jenair. Once they appear done with their own introductions she offers her hand to the redhead.

"Lyanne. No one's servant, but I'll have your back so long as we're travelling together."

The_Snark
2007-11-30, 01:25 AM
Jenair

Jenair takes the offered hand with a nod of greeting, once again giving a single firm shake, although her hands do not have the calluses common to trained soldiers. She seems to identify with Lyanne's point of view a good bit more, from the look of it. She nods once at Helionaluxis's explanation, with a final glance at the scar, but she does not inquire into it any more, nor does she return the explanation in kind by elaborating on her eyes unasked.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-11-30, 03:11 AM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis's hands are calloused, rough, and scaly.

Helionaluxis nods at Lyanne's statement. "As will I." She thinks for a moment.

"Don't be alarmed if I breathe fire on you. It won't hurt, I promise." Her stoic expression betrays a sly grin for a split-second.

Proven_Paradox
2007-11-30, 09:19 PM
Cyrick nods at the new arrival. "I am Cyrick, servant of the arch-paladin Heironeous." As he speaks, he moves to get a better view of the dispersing mob, looking down on the crowd worriedly.

kamikasei
2007-12-02, 10:38 AM
I'm assuming Torrent okays Jenair's joining us, and that we can therefore speak freely around her.

Lyanne looks out at the crowd. "With all this movement and chaos, it shouldn't be any trouble to reach the rendezvous unnoticed. Bringing our "package" along might be a different story, though. Perhaps it would be best to unload Lacrolus before we quite reach our destination and share his burden between us for the last short distance. In any case, we should move before this surge of people quite dries up."

She looks back at Jenair. "Chances are good we'll find ourselves having to react quickly again more than once before getting out of the city. Is there anything we need to know about you for such situations? Are you any sort of mage or mentalist, have you particular needs or a niche in a fight or out of one?"

She gestures towards the others. "We're all swords for the most part. Varcolac there has her lance if she's mounted. Helionaluxis can provide magical aid of various sorts if you stay close to her. Our employer," she indicates Torrent, "has a spell or two up her sleeve too. Life stories can wait until we have a campfire to trade them around, but if you've anything relevant of that sort now's the time to share it."

The_Snark
2007-12-04, 02:50 AM
Jenair

Jenair shrugs at the question, occasionally eyeing Helionaluxis as if not sure what to make of her comment. "I know a bit of magic, I suppose. Not much." She sounds as if the subject doesn't really interest her, leaning on her spear and watching out the window.

After a moment, she asks a question, still looking out at the crowd as it begins to thin. "Who are you meeting with?"

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-04, 03:25 AM
Helionaluxis

On Jenair's second eyeing of her, Helionaluxis snorts a gout of flame. It blasts across Jenair's outfit. Instead of leaving burns in its wake, it just feels like hot air. She grins slightly.

"It feels less pleasant for enemies. So, you know some magic? Hm."

Helionaluxis eyes Jenair's equipment again, looking for clues about her path to power. When Jenair asks who they're meeting with, she pauses for a moment.

"Someone who can't leave the city himself, but needs something taken out."

2007-12-04, 02:39 PM
Varcolac

Varcolac is already complying with the request to unload Lacrolus pre-emptively, though she honestly looks rather put out at having to leave behind that much explosive.

She nods to the newcomer, slowly, but doesn't extend her hand or offer any flowery speeches.

"Varcolac. If you'd like to know more I suggest we focus on running, and not dying."

kamikasei
2007-12-04, 03:54 PM
"Hoy, no need for that yet," Lyanne says when she sees Varcolac unloading. "We just need to unload what we want to bring to the rendezvous, and that only when we're close. No need to leave this other stuff behind or carry it ourselves. And I agree, now's the time to move."

She addresses Jenair as they move out, trying to keep with the last remnants of the crowd. "We have something to collect to take out of the city, and something of a little use to trade for it. Discretion is worth more than valor at the moment, so I'll leave it at that until we have something like privacy. That may be available at our destination."

She turns to Torrent. "Varcolac could accompany you while we wait with the mount, if you want to keep our profile low. Given the chaos I don't think it'll matter much if we all join you, though I'd still leave the bug a street or two away."

"Would any of the magic you know extend to concealing movement?" she returns to Jenair.

The_Snark
2007-12-04, 04:01 PM
Jenair

She nods at the desire for secrecy. And I rather doubt it will mean anything to me, in any case. The burst of flame is a bit startling, but after a moment of consideration, she decides it makes as much sense as any magic would.

"No. I only know a few tricks. Useful, but not for that." She glances at the insectoid mount. "Can't use a horse instead? That thing doesn't look very good if you want to avoid attracting notice."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-04, 05:36 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis warily eyes the untripped bomb Varcolac is unloading. "I think we can leave that behind."

(OOC: Got some details about it from Fax. It contains multiple alchemist's fires, is more suited for burning things than demolition, and is triggered by a hard impact. It also weighs 20 lbs, so throwing it really isn't an option.

He also mentioned we could probably break it open and grab the intact alchemist's fires for our own use...)

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-04, 05:38 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis warily eyes the untripped bomb Varcolac is unloading. "I think we can leave that behind."

(OOC: Got some details about it from Fax. It contains multiple alchemist's fires, is more suited for burning things than demolition, and is triggered by a hard impact. It also weighs 20 lbs, so throwing it really isn't an option.

He also mentioned we could probably break it open and grab the intact alchemist's fires for our own use...)

Helionaluxis glances at the bug. "I think Varcolac's attached to it."

kamikasei
2007-12-05, 05:04 PM
"In general I find when someone has found reason to do something as uncommon as riding into battle on a giant telepathic insect, you don't want them to rush the explanation. It tends to be worth savouring."

Lyanne is casting a critical eye at the explosive as she speaks, trying to work out if they can make it safer or less cumbersome to carry.

Some rolls to see if I can figure out what Mike mentions... I have no idea what skill would be appropriate here so I'll just roll all the ones I'm not forbidden to that might work. Knowledge is in case the details of Ragesian bomb construction are a matter of local or historical knowledge... *shiftyeyes*

Appraise, Craft, Knowledge (history), Knowledge (local) (1d20+3=16, 1d20+3=21, 1d20+6=22, 1d20+5=15) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1408656)

Fax Celestis
2007-12-12, 06:45 PM
Torrent nods. "I don't see an issue with allowing this one to tag along. In this chaos, I don't believe it matters any more if we're secret about our efforts or not.

"If we can take the bomb apart, the interior may be useful to us...but the issue would be taking it apart without blowing it up."

She shakes her head. "In any case. We're headed there:" she says, pointing to a tower a few blocks away. "Hopefully our contact is still alive."

Leanne: you think you can take it apart, if you're careful.

kamikasei
2007-12-14, 01:03 AM
Lyanne bites her lip. "I've no training with explosives or the like. I can lend a hand if anyone else thinks they've got a better shot at it, though. It'd be good to have it in a more portable form, but it's not worth risking our safety on my guesswork."

She looks at Helionaluxis. "If someone does want to try it, you'd better stay close and keep some of that flame-retardant magic on hand."

Yeah, Lyanne ain't got no ranks in anything possibly useful. If someone does want to take a stab at it, here's a raw d20 roll for an Aid Another check. If it's Craft or Disable Device, that's a +3. [roll0]

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-14, 01:07 AM
Cyrick looks to Torrent and nods before looking to those assembled around the bomb. "Let us be off then. I think it best if we tinker with the bomb later, where an explosion wouldn't endanger so many bystanders."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-14, 05:50 AM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis nods towards Lyanne.

"Why carry the bomb, or its contents, in the first place? It will be more trouble than discarding it."

kamikasei
2007-12-14, 08:02 AM
"It's always good to have more tactical options available, and dismantled the parts of the bomb would be much safer to transport. But you're right that it's a risk and an effort we needn't take unless we have a specific purpose for them."

Lyanne looks to Varcolac. "Did you have something in mind when you took it, or was it just preferable to leaving it behind? If the latter we may as well leave it. If the former perhaps you can work on dismantling it once we reach the rendezvous."

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-19, 06:32 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis heads for the tower Torrent pointed to once they decide what to do with the bomb.

The_Snark
2007-12-19, 06:57 PM
Jenair

Jenair looks at the bomb, nonplussed, but she doesn't waste time by asking where they got it. "Careful how you carry that. I wouldn't want that thing to be on my saddlebags when it shattered, dismantled or no, and alchemist's fire is touchy stuff."

She glances at the tower that the woman apparently in charge had indicated, then at Torrent herself. Odd. They behave like some sort of knights, and work like a mercenary company. If that's what they are, she's the employer for sure. She looks back to the others. "And truth to tell, if you're meeting someone there, I wouldn't bother."

2007-12-19, 07:42 PM
Varcolac

"I was planning to use it to make a new gate if the pre-existing one was inconvenient. But I suppose that's not as viable a tactic now. I say we leave it."

She spurs her mount slightly and motions to the rest to follow Torrent and Hel.

kamikasei
2007-12-20, 01:55 AM
"We'll leave it then. The city doesn't need any more trouble with its defenses," Lyanne concurs, joining Helionaluxis in continuing towards the tower.

The_Snark
2007-12-23, 05:10 PM
Jenair

"Old gate looks fine to me," Jenair comments before following, using her spear point-up as a sort of walking-pole.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-23, 06:02 PM
Cyrick follows wordlessly, throwing occasional worried glances to the people below.

kamikasei
2007-12-23, 07:03 PM
After a short time Lyanne drops back to Cyrick, trying to avoid drawing attention from the others as she does so, and pitching her voice to be heard only by him.

"You want to help these people," she says; her tone manages to make it a question while clearly implying she feels she knows the answer.

"This is how you can help them, by helping us, helping Torrent. One man won't put out these fires or drive off that army, but getting her to safety might. Do what you can do best and don't beat yourself up that you can't do everything."

If it seems like the gesture will help reinforce her words, she lightly squeezes his shoulder, a move not of comfort but of solidarity.

Rolls, if necessary, to see how she can read him / get through to him.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Whether she does/doesn't go for the Comforting Pat depends on whether it'd be the right or wrong move in Paradox's opinion and whether she can tell that based on the above.

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-23, 11:47 PM
"I have no intention of abandoning Torrent. I know helping her will help these people." Cyrick glares straight ahead, steadfastly refusing to meet Lyanne's eyes. His tone is dark and hints at a contained anger, and he makes no attempt at keeping his tone low enough for only Lyanne to hear. "That does not change the fact that I'm not strong enough to help these people here and now. There is no excuse for that."

I'm mostly disregarding the diplomacy roll; Fax, if you'd like me to approach that differently let me know. As for the shoulder touch--yeah, Lyanne'd probably get the impression that the gesture wouldn't go over well. It wouldn't be hard to tell. (Cyrick = [/wrist])

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-25, 04:05 PM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis grips Cyrick's other shoulder; it feels like she's ready to crush it with her bare hand. If he looks her in the eye, her pupils seem to smolder.

"There's no excuse for moping about it, either. Do what you can, don't lament what you can't. Anything else would not be worthy of the Arch-Paladin. Stand tall and hide the weakness, Cyrick. People are looking up to you."

Proven_Paradox
2007-12-25, 11:36 PM
Cyrick stops walking and violently slaps Helionaluxis's hand away. He meets her gaze with eyes just as fiery as hers (though perhaps in a less literal sense). "How dare you speak to me of what my lord finds worthy!?" he yells, any attempts at containing his rage completely failing as he glares at the woman. "Moping!? Hiding my weakness!? I would never be able to face my lord if that were all I did! I will not hide my weakness! I will burn it away with my Lord's righteous fury!" Cyrick brushes past Helio and resumes his march towards their destination, saying as he goes, with a controlled but dire tone, "Now, if you're quite done worrying about my state of mind, we've a mission to complete and a war to end!"

The_Snark
2007-12-26, 02:27 AM
Jenair

Jenair spares the argument a glance, halting momentarily and unwillingly as the participants do and leaning on her spear to watch both the participants and the city around them. "Or at least be quieter about it," she adds in a low mutter as Cyrick finishes and storms ahead, making a note to ask why he referred to ending the war later. It's not entirely clear whether she was speaking to herself or not.

She follows, glad to be on their way again even if it does mean a zealot's company.

Mike_Lemmer
2007-12-26, 03:23 AM
Helionaluxis

Helionaluxis stands her ground against Cyrick's rage, saying nothing, showing nothing. Only when he brushes past her does she allow herself a smirk.

That's more like it. I didn't expect him to blow up like that, though. I'll have to apologize once this is over if he's still sore about it. I wonder why he reacted so badly...

"You're right. Let's go, Cyrick."

Helionaluxis walks on next to Lyanne & Cyrick.

kamikasei
2008-01-02, 11:51 AM
Lyanne walks on beside the others, keeping her mouth shut. It's always the quiet ones. At least, the quiet ones wound tighter than a castrato's string accompaniment around their notions of duty. Making sure not to say anything else to set of the Heironean, she keeps an eye out as they continue on to their destination to see if their exchange has drawn any possibly unwelcome attention.

[roll0]