PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Building an Oath Bound Spell Caster?

Citadel97501
2019-07-20, 03:09 AM
Hello all, I am going to be playing in a game starting off at 6, and I was thinking of playing a spell casting focused character designed around a series of oaths to a monarchy with the arcane focus being linked by blood and oath to their magic, if you break your oath you have to redeem your self or be unable to cast unless you find/steel some ancient relic? I was wondering how you all would go about making a character like this. I originally was thinking a mounted caster, but the DM has highly "suggested" us not to go the route of mounts.

Special Rule Notes for this game!
Two important things: The DM has said he will be using a faster than normal short rest, to benefit this style of play IE players only needs 10 minutes of down time for a short rest.

Racial Abilities are changed to Bonus Actions: Yes, this applies to High Elf Cantrips, Tiefling spells, and Dragonborn Breath Weapons. Yes, I am highly suspect of this rule decision as I find it very dangerous just off the top of my head double Green Flame Blade, or something similar.

Bobthewizard
2019-07-20, 06:59 AM
So let’s see. A series of oaths makes me think Paladin or Warlock. Could reflavor Sorcerer or Cleric. Increased short rests makes Warlock more attractive and Paladin and Sorcerer less so.

So let’s say Warlock. Hexblade seems to work with your vow to monarchy and needing a relic. Maybe their Hexblade is one of those relics.

Best racial abilities to use as a bonus action are probably the Tiefling’s, I’d go for Bloodline of Glasya for Minor Illusion, Disguise Self and Invisibility. At will bonus action Minor Illusion seems pretty sweet. Disguise Self frees up the invocation.

So I'll propose a Glasya Tiefling Hexblade. Could stay Hexblade or multi class into Sorcerer, Paladin or Swords Bard if you want.

Citadel97501
2019-07-20, 02:00 PM
That does sound like a lot of fun there :) thank you.

Nagog
2019-07-20, 05:19 PM
Agreed with the Warlock, although personally I'd spice it up a bit by starting with a level of Pally to give you saves, a touch of healing, and heavy armor

Bobthewizard
2019-07-21, 07:43 AM
Racial Abilities are changed to Bonus Actions: Yes, this applies to High Elf Cantrips, Tiefling spells, and Dragonborn Breath Weapons. Yes, I am highly suspect of this rule decision as I find it very dangerous just off the top of my head double Green Flame Blade, or something similar.

I would like to add that I do think you are right, though, that bonus action GFB or Booming Blade would be more powerful. I just thought bonus action minor illusion might be more fun. And bonus action invisibility is a good escape.

Citadel97501
2019-07-21, 09:44 AM
I would like to add that I do think you are right, though, that bonus action GFB or Booming Blade would be more powerful. I just thought bonus action minor illusion might be more fun. And bonus action invisibility is a good escape.

I really like your idea of the utility and defense spells with the racial choices. It also led me to think of a James Bond spin on it with those though, as those will be more fun. Algerond...Ral Algerond in Her majesty's service :)

Sception
2019-07-21, 11:09 AM
Oathbound caster makes me think paladin multiclassed with warlock or sorcerer. Bonus action green flame blade or booming blade only further inclines me towards such a combo.

I'd play a half elf, high elf variant fRom scag, with booming blade as your racial cantrip (green flame blade would be int based, and this will be a cha based character).

Paladin for between 3 and 6 levels, oath of crown for character theme. There are stronger oaths, but crown is fine and fits your concept. Then transition into celestial sorcerer for the rest of your levels, maybe with a hexblade dip for hex warrior.

A bit more of a battlemage than a straight caster, but if the gm's going to offer that kind of house rules it would be a shame not to capitalise

bid
2019-07-21, 11:29 AM
Agreed with the Warlock, although personally I'd spice it up a bit by starting with a level of Pally to give you saves, a touch of healing, and heavy armor
Pally and locks both have Wis/Cha saves. And Dex14 has more use than Str15, making heavy armor unnecessary.