PDA

View Full Version : OotS voice actor brainstorm

HamsterKun
2019-07-20, 05:38 AM
I was thinking the other day about which voice actors would fit each member of the Order of the Stick, and what I thought of was:

:roy: - Liam O’Brien
:haley: - Laura Bailey
:elan: - Sarah Natochenny
:vaarsuvius: - Mary Elizabeth McGlinn
:durkon: - Christopher Sabat
:belkar: - Vic Mignogna

What do you think about this casting?

brian 333
2019-07-20, 07:34 AM
I was thinking the other day about which voice actors would fit each member of the Order of the Stick, and what I thought of was:

I guess I'm too far off the current trend line because I don't know any of those people except the last one, and I can't imagine his voice as the voice of our favorite psychopath.

Mark Hammil would be a better choice.

Schroeswald
2019-07-20, 07:40 AM
I guess I'm too far off the current trend line because I don't know any of those people except the last one, and I can't imagine his voice as the voice of our favorite psychopath.

Mark Hamill would be better as Xykon.

HamsterKun
2019-07-20, 07:53 AM

Vic voiced both a midget (Edward Elric) AND a psychopath (Broly). So why not both?!

brian 333
2019-07-20, 11:16 AM

I've headcanoned Tommy Lee Jones as Xykon for so long now that I have trouble imagining anyone else in the role. It would have to be a voice that can sound sarcastic when delivering a straight line, and go really caustic from there.

MoonCat
2019-07-20, 06:01 PM
I've always mentally read all of Elan's lines in the voice of Dominic Armata (Guybrush Threepwood, mighty pirate!).

Also, this might be a bit off the wall, but how about Sean Astin as Belkar? Regular voice, not gentle-British-hobbit voice though.

D.One
2019-07-22, 01:20 PM

Mark Hamill would be better as everybody. Hel, make even the Joker make a cameo... :smallbiggrin:

GreyTraveller
2019-07-22, 01:35 PM
Mark Hamill would be better as everybody. Hel, make even the Joker make a cameo... :smallbiggrin:You'd just have to make this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0562.html) scene longer and give him some lines...

Grey Watcher
2019-07-22, 02:42 PM
Thanks to a live-action-movie variant on this thread idea from years back, Lord Shojo is now voiced in my head by George Takei.

Also, I imagined Roy as having a deeper voice than Liam O'Brien (though he did do Kain in the DS version of FF6, but Roy sounds less growly to me than that), so if he could pull of a lower pitch without the gimmick, I'd say sure.

Then again, that "speak 'n' spell" voice he did as part of one of those Critical Role oneshots would be perfect for any modrons that need voicing.

Squire Doodad
2019-07-22, 02:46 PM
Thanks to a live-action-movie variant on this thread idea from years back, Lord Shojo is now voiced in my head by George Takei.

Also, I imagined Roy as having a deeper voice than Liam O'Brien (though he did do Kain in the DS version of FF6, but Roy sounds less growly to me than that), so if he could pull of a lower pitch without the gimmick, I'd say sure.

Then again, that "speak 'n' spell" voice he did as part of one of those Critical Role oneshots would be perfect for any modrons that need voicing.

I feel the need to interrupt you to point out that not only was FF6 never remade for the DS, Kain isn't even in FF6. He's from FF4.
In my head Roy doesn't have quite as deep of a voice as Kain.

Grey Watcher
2019-07-22, 10:06 PM
I feel the need to interrupt you to point out that not only was FF6 never remade for the DS, Kain isn't even in FF6. He's from FF4.
In my head Roy doesn't have quite as deep of a voice as Kain.

Derp. You're right. FF4. Not sure where that synaptic misfire came from.

I wonder if, for Durkon's voice, one should go for an authentic (or authentic-sounding) Scottish accent or you go for a cheesey, obviously fake one like James Doohan's? (Native Scotsman Craig Ferguson once joked he sounded like "a Pakistani man who'd had a stroke.") The former seems more respectful to Scottish people in general, the latter feels more in line with what's actually depicted in the comic.

woweedd
2019-07-22, 10:14 PM
Xykon sounds like Tim Curry to me. Redcloak, meanwhile, sounds like Tony Jay. That's Frollo, holmes!

DeliaP
2019-07-23, 03:59 AM
I wonder if, for Durkon's voice, one should go for an authentic (or authentic-sounding) Scottish accent or you go for a cheesey, obviously fake one like James Doohan's? (Native Scotsman Craig Ferguson once joked he sounded like "a Pakistani man who'd had a stroke.") The former seems more respectful to Scottish people in general, the latter feels more in line with what's actually depicted in the comic.

FWIW: I have never heard Durkon's accent as being Scottish (despite the all-dwarves-are-scottish trope). I have instead heard him as a broad North Yorkshire accent (perhaps with a touch of Geordie). Sigdi comes over a little stronger on the Geordie.

D.One
2019-07-23, 07:58 AM
You'd just have to make this (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0562.html) scene longer and give him some lines...

Just watch a animated short film where Hamill is kidnaped by the Joker and the Trickster, and he escapes by making them to fight each other by mimicking their voices.

Squire Doodad
2019-07-23, 11:16 PM
Just watch a animated short film where Hamill is kidnaped by the Joker and the Trickster, and he escapes by making them to fight each other by mimicking their voices.

That was in the modern-setting remake of the Hobbit, right?

Quartz
2019-07-24, 08:55 AM

Who are they?

I'd look for

Roy: Idris Elba
V: Benedict Cumberbatch
Elan / Nale: Tom Hiddlestone
Belkar: Matt Smith
Haley: Karen Gillan
Durkon: Chiwetel Ejiofor
Redcloak: Ian McDiarmid
Xykon: Patrick Stewart or Morgan Freeman
Thog: Vin Diesel
Sabine: Helen Mirren

Schroeswald
2019-07-24, 09:14 AM
Who are they?

I'd look for

The real question is who will voice Mr. Scruffy, I think it should be Danny DeVito.

DavidSh
2019-07-24, 09:51 AM
I can imagine Calista Flockhart as Celia, though I don't think she has done voice acting.

Quartz
2019-07-24, 12:07 PM
The real question is who will voice Mr. Scruffy, I think it should be Danny DeVito.

Sorry, but it's got to be Larry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Mouser_to_the_Cabinet_Office). After retirement, of course. After all, he has the purrfect CV.

Schroeswald
2019-07-24, 12:14 PM
Sorry, but it's got to be Larry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chief_Mouser_to_the_Cabinet_Office). After retirement, of course. After all, he has the purrfect CV.

Does that mean Boris Johnson would play Shijo? I'm not saying he shouldn't (or that he should), but that would be the logical conclusion of that casting.

woweedd
2019-07-25, 02:21 PM
Who are they?

I'd look for

None of these people are voice actors. Back on topic: I think Mark Hamill would make a fantastic Tarquin. Maximum irony, too. Maybe even have him voice Elan and Nale too, for that little connection.

Schroeswald
2019-07-25, 02:25 PM
None of these people are voice actors. Back on topic: I think Mark Hamill would make a fantastic Tarquin. Maximum irony, too. Maybe even have him voice Elan and Nale too, for that little connection.

I can't really imagine Mark voicing Elan and Nale unless we time-traveled back to the seventies (though if you have like a video of him sounding young recently I'd love to see it), though I think it would also be funny if before Tarquin takes off his mask he's James Earl Jones, for extra comedic effect.

woweedd
2019-07-25, 02:27 PM
I can't really imagine Mark voicing Elan and Nale unless we time-traveled back to the seventies (though if you have like a video of him sounding young recently I'd love to see it), though I think it would also be funny if before Tarquin takes off his mask he's James Earl Jones, for extra comedic effect.
Yeah, that's fair. Also, I personally imagine Roy as Keith David.

pwning doodes
2019-07-25, 09:37 PM
OP is a Critical Role fan, I see :smallbiggrin:

I think Laura Bailey would be the perfect Haley. I listened to the Ash Ketchum recordings and I think OP's pick for Elan could work. I agree with Mark Hamill as Xykon. I think you can do much better for V though. I think their voice actor should do a very mellow voice that doesn't go up or down in pitch much. Tilda Swinton comes to mind. You could also go the route of a braggy know-it-all sort of thing, which is probably why so many people suggest Benedict Cumberbatch.

I disagree with Liam as Roy. I think it should be someone with a much deeper voice, like Idris Elba or The Rock. I was even thinking James Earl Jones.

Last note: someone mentioned Matt Smith as Belkar. I only knew him from Doctor Who, so my first thought was, "Are you crazy?" Then I decided to watch a clip of his from Terminator 5.

Holy s***, Matt Smith could totally be Belkar. I fully support this.

Bohandas
2019-07-26, 10:19 AM
I'm thinking of Julia Sweeney (from It's Pat (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Pat)) as Varsuvius.

Or possibly Dan Mintz as Varsuvius

EDIT:

Kristen Schaal as Tsukiko
Billy West or Jeremy Shada as Elan
Richard Horvitz as Xykon and/or Belkar
Hayden Christensen as Tarquin
Carey Means as Roy (or possibly Xykon, Tarquin, or Redcloak)
either Dana Snyder or whoever is playing Elan as Nale

On that note, since you mentioned him, I'd go with Craig Ferguson himself as Durkon

Harbinger
2019-07-26, 11:40 AM
Elan: Billy West
Belkar: John DiMaggio
Blackwing: Patton Oswalt
The Oracle: Billy Crystal

Bohandas
2019-07-26, 12:21 PM
Belkar: John DiMaggio

John Dimaggio or Dana Snyder. They've both played chaotic evil cooking experts.

GloatingSwine
2019-07-26, 12:25 PM

Liam O'Brien in full Grimoire Weiss mode would be good for Vaarsuvius.

Grey Watcher
2019-07-29, 10:17 PM
Mikel Dever-O'Neil (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5942567/?ref_=tt_cl_t5) does an excellent "androgynous, overly-verbose elf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJUISpwcLCg)" in Heroine's Quest (link contains spoilers for some puzzle/quest solutions), so he's got my vote for Vaarsuvius.

MReav
2019-07-30, 12:32 AM
I always heard Leeky Windstaff in the voice of G1 Starscream, so my vote is for Doug Parker, on account of Chris Latta being dead and Doug doing a great imitation of him in the Beast Wars episode Possession.

I can't find the book but I remember Xykon doing James Earl Jones quotes from his various roles when he first becomes a lich, so probably him for Xykon (if anyone has the book, can they check?)

HamsterKun
2019-07-31, 08:28 PM

I think Laura Bailey would be the perfect Haley. I listened to the Ash Ketchum recordings and I think OP's pick for Elan could work. I agree with Mark Hamill as Xykon. I think you can do much better for V though. I think their voice actor should do a very mellow voice that doesn't go up or down in pitch much. Tilda Swinton comes to mind. You could also go the route of a braggy know-it-all sort of thing, which is probably why so many people suggest Benedict Cumberbatch.

I disagree with Liam as Roy. I think it should be someone with a much deeper voice, like Idris Elba or The Rock. I was even thinking James Earl Jones.

Last note: someone mentioned Matt Smith as Belkar. I only knew him from Doctor Who, so my first thought was, "Are you crazy?" Then I decided to watch a clip of his from Terminator 5.

Holy s***, Matt Smith could totally be Belkar. I fully support this.

Mary Elizabeth McGlinn voiced Naoto Shirgane in the Persona 4 anime. To be fair though, it was hard finding a VA with a convincingly andrgynous voice, because V’s gender is meant to be ambiguous.

Goosefarble
2019-08-11, 09:40 PM

Much as I like Liam and Laura their voices aren't quite how I imagine most to sound. Personally I'd prefer Vaarsuvius to be voiced by a trans person but I think Mary could do them justice. And uh,I would prefer if Vic Mignogna never worked again but that's a whole other can o' piranhas

I always find it super weird when people come up with castings like this, like when people say he should be played by Samuel L. Jackson. It's not how I imagine Roy at all. James Earl Jones is 88 years old for crying out loud!! Roy is like 27!

Now, James Earl Jones for Horace Greenhilt? Perhaps... :smallconfused:

Schroeswald
2019-08-12, 07:02 AM
Much as I like Liam and Laura their voices aren't quite how I imagine most to sound. Personally I'd prefer Vaarsuvius to be voiced by a trans person but I think Mary could do them justice. And uh,I would prefer if Vic Mignogna never worked again but that's a whole other can o' piranhas

I always find it super weird when people come up with castings like this, like when people say he should be played by Samuel L. Jackson. It's not how I imagine Roy at all. James Earl Jones is 88 years old for crying out loud!! Roy is like 27!

Now, James Earl Jones for Horace Greenhilt? Perhaps... :smallconfused:
And in my point that James Earl Jones’ Voice is too epic I forget that he’s too old :p. But yeah, Roy should sound young (and that is a priority over being black, because this is voice acting and that stuff is the norm), I very much like James Earl Jones making my current fancast (based mostly on others suggestions:
:thog: Vin Diesel
:xykon: / http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Tarquin.png Mark Hamill (can’t decide which he should be)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Eugene.png James Earl Jones

My cast has none of the main characters? What are you talking about? This is clearly an acceptable amount of casting.

On the Durkon thing mentioned awhile ago, as ridiculous as possible, it can be a Scottish person hightening their accent, or a non-Scottish person putting on an accent, but it shouldn’t sound real.

Morgana
2019-09-02, 03:40 PM
James Mathis III as Roy maybe?

Wizard_Lizard
2019-09-03, 04:20 AM
Morgan Freeman as Thor...

Squire Doodad
2019-09-03, 09:00 AM
Morgan Freeman as Thor...

He is quite the godly actor, eh?

BehemothDeTerre
2019-09-04, 08:30 AM
Haley: Sophie Turner?
V: SIr Patrick Stewart
Roy: Idris Elba?
Durkon: need a Scott, to not mess up the accent. I'm thinking Iain Glen.
Elan: Billy West
Belkar: Dan Castellaneta
Thor: Johan Hegg. Only person in the world to be qualified for the role.
Xykon: David Hayter.

GreyTraveller
2019-09-04, 10:02 AM
Just watch a animated short film where Hamill is kidnaped by the Joker and the Trickster, and he escapes by making them to fight each other by mimicking their voices.I remember that. That was awesome.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-09-05, 01:06 AM
He is quite the godly actor, eh?

yes. In fact, morgan freeman shlud voice everyone...
(put the above text in blue...)

Morgana
2019-09-05, 01:08 PM
Thor should be Travis Willingham

Schroeswald
2019-09-05, 01:48 PM
:xykon: / http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Tarquin.png Mark Hamill (can’t decide which he should be)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Eugene.png James Earl Jones

I’ve been looking around and I think that I have another cast member for my list:
:nale:+:elan: A.J. LoCascio

EDIT: and looking at this I’m thinking that Mark Hamill should be both Xykon and Tarquin, so my new total list is:
:xykon: + http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Tarquin.png Mark Hamill
:nale: + :elan: A.J. LoCascio

Squire Doodad
2019-09-06, 04:48 PM
yes. In fact, morgan freeman shlud voice everyone...

Yeah definitely. We don't need actors anymore, just ramp up cloning tech and give us 500 Morgan Freemans.

(put the above text in blue...)
Ah, you mean [COLOR="#0000CD"]like this?[/ COLOR] You can do that with the "A" button on the comment editor, on the right of the Size button and the left of the smiley one.

Darth Paul
2019-09-07, 09:08 PM

Pretty sure that was my fault. You're welcome. :smallwink:

Karl Urban would make a great Durkon. Or a great Xykon. After his performance in The Boys, I've seen how he can play extremely sinister and friendly at the same time.

Bradley Cooper is already accustomed to voicing short, angry, psychotic characters (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Raccoon#Film) so why not :belkar:

Has anyone beat me in suggesting Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) as Haley?

For that matter, I've always thought Jason Momoa was underrated... I can hear him as Roy.

And Gwendoline Christie as V.

Got to fit Samuel L Jackson in there somewhere. Probably as Eugene, since he does such a great job with any comedic material he's given and that role would give him so much scenery to chew.

Wizard_Lizard
2019-09-08, 05:36 AM
Yeah definitely. We don't need actors anymore, just ramp up cloning tech and give us 500 Morgan Freemans.

Ah, you mean [COLOR="#0000CD"]like this?[/ COLOR] You can do that with the "A" button on the comment editor, on the right of the Size button and the left of the smiley one.

can't find those buttons in my 3ds

Schroeswald
2019-09-08, 05:52 AM
Bradley Cooper is already accustomed to voicing short, angry, psychotic characters (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Raccoon#Film) so why not :belkar:
Yes.

Has anyone beat me in suggesting Sophie Turner (Sansa Stark) as Haley?
Yup, a few posts back.

Making my list:

:xykon: + http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Tarquin.png Mark Hamill
:nale: + :elan: A.J. LoCascio
:belkar: Bradley Cooper

Squire Doodad
2019-09-08, 09:26 AM
can't find those buttons in my 3ds

I think that's your problem right there whoops.

Is the 3ds treated like a mobile device by the server? Can it even actually get here?

Sniccups
2019-10-14, 04:20 PM
I love the idea of Kristen Schaal as Tsukiko, and Patton Oswalt as Blackwing.

I would also like to mention a proposal from an older thread on this topic: Jack Black as Belkar.

tawnyterror
2019-10-14, 11:18 PM
I was going through this thread & listening to everybodies proposals for vaars voice, and while I was very iffy on most of them, mikel dever-o'neil as sent in by grey watcher REALLY nails it on the head in my opinion. just about exactly how I imagined, (a perfect mix of wise-old-aunt & foolish elf!)