PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Primal Path: Path of the Brute (WIP)

RATHSQUATCH
2019-07-20, 07:40 AM
Hello Everyone,

Let me know what you think of this Barbarian Primal Path. Thanks!

PATH OF THE BRUTE
A brute is described as a violently savage person being almost like that of an animal and not a humanoid being. Barbarians of this path are known for their raw power and strength, having an uncanny ability to impress those around them with their power, even other barbarians. By channeling their rage into power, these barbarians are often sought for breaking through barriers or simply dealing massive damage to their enemies.

BRUTISH GRIP
At 3rd level when you select this primal path, you are so powerful during a rage, even large weapons are able to be wielded one-handed. When wielding a two-handed or heavy melee weapon during a rage, you ignore the two-handed property, allowing you to use it in one hand.

BRUTISH GRIT
At 6th level, you can briefly ignore the effects of a single blow. When you are hit with an attack, you can use your reaction each turn to delay the damage dealt up to a number of rounds equal to your Constitution modifier during your rage. After that time, you take the result of the attack in full (and the damage will not be halved if you’re not still raging). You can use this feature once, then require a short or long rest before it can be used again.

UNCHAINED
At 10th level, you are nearly impossible to subdue. Whenever you are in a rage, you can add your proficiency bonus to Strength checks made to break out of restraints, grapples, or burst through objects.

FINISHING BLOW
At 14th level, you can deliver a blow so deadly, even great foes might not survive it. Whenever you are in a rage and strike with a melee or unarmed attack, you can use your reaction and choose to automatically deal 50 damage instead of rolling for damage. You can use this feature once, then you require a long rest before it can be used again.

JNAProductions
2019-07-20, 09:54 AM
Brutish Grip is fine mechanically... But I don't think it achieves your goal. Because the optimal use is two-hander and shield, making this more defensive. If that is what you're going for, then job well done.

Brutish Grit is fine, but should probably specify "when you take damage" not "hit with an attack". Spells are frequently not attacks, but should still be able to be gritted out.

Unchained could stand to add it to saves against Restrained and similar conditions.

Finishing Blow I'm pretty iffy on. Perhaps might be better to make it an autocrit once per long rest-combos nicely with the other Barbarian features. Normally I'm against those, but as a 14th level feature on a non-casting class, you can fit a max of 5 spell levels in for Paladin smite goodness (2 Paladin/4 Full Caster) and only 3d6 Sneak Attack (Rogue 5) meaning an autocrit ain't too bad.

RATHSQUATCH
2019-07-20, 11:32 AM
Brutish Grip is fine mechanically... But I don't think it achieves your goal. Because the optimal use is two-hander and shield, making this more defensive. If that is what you're going for, then job well done.

Brutish Grit is fine, but should probably specify "when you take damage" not "hit with an attack". Spells are frequently not attacks, but should still be able to be gritted out.

Unchained could stand to add it to saves against Restrained and similar conditions.

Finishing Blow I'm pretty iffy on. Perhaps might be better to make it an autocrit once per long rest-combos nicely with the other Barbarian features. Normally I'm against those, but as a 14th level feature on a non-casting class, you can fit a max of 5 spell levels in for Paladin smite goodness (2 Paladin/4 Full Caster) and only 3d6 Sneak Attack (Rogue 5) meaning an autocrit ain't too bad.

For finishing blow I considered the auto-crit. My only concern was cross-classed Rogue Assassins.

The rest of this is also great feedback. I imagine Brutish Grip being more of an ability where you're using two greatswords or greataxes while in a rage I suppose it could be combined with a shield as well, but the idea as to up the damage output that way.

JNAProductions
2019-07-20, 12:03 PM
For finishing blow I considered the auto-crit. My only concern was cross-classed Rogue Assassins.

The rest of this is also great feedback. I imagine Brutish Grip being more of an ability where you're using two greatswords or greataxes while in a rage I suppose it could be combined with a shield as well, but the idea as to up the damage output that way.

You can't dual-wield one-handed weapons without a feat.