PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Character Concept - Conductor of Strife

Edwin Briar
2019-07-20, 12:04 PM
In 1 week my group meets up for our first session and our DM gave us all the books we could use for generation. After having heard the general things the others want to play I decided to settle in a support role for both combat as well as the interactions outside of it.

My general idea is a Warlock of an Archfey-Patron, who enjoys the squabble of mortals and immortals alike and favors especially those who with the smallest, but also precise actions cause the biggest effect. This Patron calls these individuals her 'Conductors' as she sees all actions as notes played on an instrument and all of existence as one concert for her enjoyment. Sometimes she chooses more on a whim an individual, who has the potential to become one of the 'Conductors' and offers him or her the right (powers) to lead the orchestra for her. In exchange she expects a 'performance' that without his or her actions could never come to be and that her 'Conductors' would never cease to yearn for an even more brilliant display of their skills.
My character himself is an Half-Elf, who before he received the calling of his Patron was manipulating people both to their own as well as his benefit, but mostly to his. The moment the archfey offered the deal to him he accepted, as he yearned for an opportunity to use his skills to the fullest and the potential this powerful being saw in him was just the affirmation of the grander fate meant for him.

In practice I want to play a Multi-Class character and we start out at Level 2. For the start I would pick as my first class Rogue and for the second level go into Warlock because of the proficiency package mostly.

Long term I would like to spread out towards the following:

Rogue as Mastermind (7)
Warlock of the Archfey (10)
Bard from the College of Glamour (3)

In combat my role would be to give advantage to my allies with the Help-action of the Mastermind, as well as reposition them with Mantle of Inspiration of the Glamour Bard if necessary and otherwise use spells to turn the tides of battle in our favor.

It is just a general overview of the character concept, but I would love all kinds of opinions on it, as well as recommendations and improvement suggestions, as I am really excited about this.

Particle_Man
2019-07-20, 10:37 PM
Would College of Whispers bard work as an alternative?

Edwin Briar
2019-07-20, 11:36 PM
Would College of Whispers bard work as an alternative?

College of Whispers would for my idea of the character only offer the "Words of Terror"-perk. "Psychic Blades" would stack with sneak attack, but he isn't really meant to be the guy who deals damage in combat (aside from Eldritch Blast shots and other spells that deal damage in addition to their debuff effects). Maybe I am overlooking something, so what would be the pros over the College of Glamour?

Particle_Man
2019-07-21, 12:49 AM
I was thinking of the flavour text, which specifically says that Whispers bards "use their knowledge and magic to uncover secrets and turn them against others through extortion and threats." It would even be in character to pretend to be a glamour bard. ;)

But words of terror don't just work to make someone afraid of you. They work to make one person afraid of another person. Romeo runs from Juliet and Juliet doesn't know why, and here you are to give Juliet ideas of why. That sort of thing.

Edwin Briar
2019-07-21, 01:03 AM
But wouldn't a Glamour Bard make more sense, because he is an Archfey Warlock and Glamour Bards use Fey-magic? Also for stuff like this I have the Invocation "Mask of Many Faces" and "Master of Intrigue"...also I was considering taking the "Actor"-feat.

Particle_Man
2019-07-21, 01:27 AM
As I said, it is only an alternative. I have no horse in this race and no dog in this fight. Ultimately it is your character. Go with what you think makes sense to you and would be fun for you.