PDA

View Full Version : Poison dmg vs poisoned

Dessunri
2019-07-20, 01:50 PM
Little backstory: I'm a dwarf cleric who picked up an Axe of Dwarvish Lords. Since I'm a dwarf attuned to this item it states o get immunity to poison. My question: can I still get the poisoned condition? It definitely doesn't say I get immunity to that too; but, if I'm immune to poison (damage) how could I be poisoned (condition)?

JackPhoenix
2019-07-20, 02:08 PM
Poison may not kill you, ever, but it can still make you sick, or weak, or whatever.

OvisCaedo
2019-07-20, 02:14 PM
A few other forms just say immunity to poison rather than poison damage, but it looks like they did specify "damage" with the axe. So I suppose as written the condition still applies, and the language discrepancy would imply that this was intentional.

Though that's assuming the language difference itself was intended.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-07-20, 02:20 PM
A few other forms just say immunity to poison rather than poison damage, but it looks like they did specify "damage" with the axe. So I suppose as written the condition still applies, and the language discrepancy would imply that this was intentional.

Though that's assuming the language difference itself was intended.

There are multiple monsters with immunity to poison (damage) but not immunity to the poisoned condition. The two are always listed separately, and they say what they mean.

OvisCaedo
2019-07-20, 03:00 PM
There are multiple monsters with immunity to poison (damage) but not immunity to the poisoned condition. The two are always listed separately, and they say what they mean.

They're always listed separately in statblocks, but some things that grant immunity don't specify one way or the other. Monk's purity of body and the Heroes' Feast spell both just grant immunity to poison, with no mention of damage or the condition specifically. I dunno if there are other examples! Either way, the axe does indeed call out damage specifically.

PhoenixPhyre
2019-07-20, 03:16 PM
They're always listed separately in statblocks, but some things that grant immunity don't specify one way or the other. Monk's purity of body and the Heroes' Feast spell both just grant immunity to poison, with no mention of damage or the condition specifically. I dunno if there are other examples! Either way, the axe does indeed call out damage specifically.

The standard is that "immunity to poison" is comprehensive, while "immunity to poison damage" or "immunity to the poisoned condition" [1] is not. Either way, the wording is deliberate and meaningful.

[1] I don't know of any abilities that provide this explicitly, so the wording may be different.

Maelynn
2019-07-23, 02:51 AM
My question: can I still get the poisoned condition? It definitely doesn't say I get immunity to that too; but, if I'm immune to poison (damage) how could I be poisoned (condition)?

It specifically says 'poison damage'. So only damage. If you end up being poisoned, which is already a lower possibility for a Dwarf with their advantage to saving throws, then you won't lose hitpoints but you'll still get the disadvantage caused by the condition.