PDA

View Full Version : Early Entry into Crystal Master?

Zombulian
2019-07-20, 09:33 PM
So because of the current obscurity thread I discovered the PrC Crystal Master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d). I like it, it’s an interesting class if you cherry pick the gems you want to embed. 8/10 manifesting but you don’t really need the capstone so it’s really more like 8/9. Required feats are Psicrystal Affinity and Psicrystal Containment, which are both feats most Psions would want anyway. The skills are definitely a straight up tax (four ranks of Knowledge: Gemology?? What?) but the nice thing is only 4 ranks of each are required. This, paired with the fact that you don’t need to be able to manifest any specific level of power, you only need to have a manifester level of 5, made me think that this could be a class that may allow for some early entry shenanigans. The problem is, I have no idea how to get a manifester level of 5 before level 5 unless using an Orange Ioun Stone, which I definitely wouldn’t be able to afford before 5 anyway.
Any ideas?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-20, 09:58 PM
Well, if you take a level in the psionic adaptation of spellthief, along with the Master Psithief adaptation, along with Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) so your ML in all manifesting classes equals your HD, you could have all of your qualifications down by level 3. Alternatively, swap ST(P) out for Practiced Manifester, which isn't nearly as good, but your DM might have less of a problem with it.

Overchannel would let you qualify, but only when actually using the feat.

There are lots of ways to boost your ML, but only when you're actually manifesting a power. A few other ways grant temp boosts.

How about the karma prayer bead? +4 ML when used?

pabelfly
2019-07-20, 10:09 PM
You wouldn't want to be able to slot your fifth gem, then?

Any gems in that class that you think are particular standouts?

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-20, 10:15 PM

Any gems in that class that you think are particular standouts?All the +3 to Int/Dex/Con ones.

Plus, constantly on touchsight is really nice.

Eternal youth is great, especially if you're a warforged or (double-especially) elan. If you start at higher levels, have time-skips, or set up a fast-time demiplane, this gives an elan an extra +3 to all mental stats without taking the -6 penalty to physicals, much like Dragonwrought Kobold does. You're not only immortal, you're forever young, which is even better.

The insight bonus to saves is fantastic, too. You can never have too high of saving throws. The AC bonus is okay, as well.

Maat Mons
2019-07-20, 11:00 PM
I just wish they'd bothered to define what happens with the Timeless Body gem when you walk into an Antimagic Field. I feel like you should just resume aging where you left off at the normal rate. But if your DM's a ****, he might just have you rapidly age until you catch up to where you would have been if you had never taken the ability. So you get a -6 to all psychical abilities the instant you set foot in the area, and you're stuck with those penalties forever even after you leave, because the gem explicitly can't undo aging, only prevent it.

Zombulian
2019-07-21, 12:00 AM
Well, if you take a level in the psionic adaptation of spellthief, along with the Master Psithief adaptation, along with Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) so your ML in all manifesting classes equals your HD, you could have all of your qualifications down by level 3. Alternatively, swap ST(P) out for Practiced Manifester, which isn't nearly as good, but your DM might have less of a problem with it.

Overchannel would let you qualify, but only when actually using the feat.

There are lots of ways to boost your ML, but only when you're actually manifesting a power. A few other ways grant temp boosts.

How about the karma prayer bead? +4 ML when used?

Indeed. This is the main issue I’ve come across. I didn’t know there was a Psionic adaptation of Master Spellthief though, that’s something to consider.
The best I’ve come up with so far would be a Half Giant with the Primordial Giant template (if you’re using Psionic-Magic transparency and the rule that says all manifesting counts as Psi-like abilities) and any major bloodline. You could qualify with 1 level of Psion.

Any gems in that class that you think are particular standouts?

Well the question just becomes if you want to have one more gem (after you’ve likely picked up all the ones you wanted anyway) and +2 to all the bonuses you’ve already picked up, or another level of manifesting. I lean towards the latter.

The bonuses to ability scores are nice but boring. All day Touchsight is super tasty. Telepathy is awesome and opens up Mindsight. Divination as a (Su) is sweet.
Honestly my favorite is Jet for Fly. Even without early entry you’re getting Fly at the same level that you usually would but you don’t have to spend a feat on Expanded Knowledge (and really, who plays Nomads). You get it as a (Su) ability, it has double duration, and you manifest it for free starting at 4/day and goes all the way to 12/day. That’s 8 hours of free flight per day at level 20.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-07-21, 08:15 AM
Three levels in illithid savant and eat a clone of a high level crystal master? It's not early entry, as such, but you can get all 10 levels' worth of crystal insertions in 3 levels, so you finish early.

You don't have to qualify for most PrCs all the time, only when you actually are actively taking the level in the class. So if you could somehow level up while manifesting a long-manifesting-time power (such as psionic identify) with a bunch of ML boosters...