PDA

View Full Version : Dm help: looking for a monster

Helliquin
2019-07-20, 10:51 PM
Trying to write a campaign based on Discworld - one particular story I’m having grief with “wee free men”.

The creatures (called Dromes) in the story that trap people inside dreams, and they are unable to escape as they don’t know they are in a dream. Eventually starving to death which is when the creature eats them.

Anything similar you’re aware of in 5e? Or that could be adapted to be close?

Fable Wright
2019-07-20, 11:28 PM
Step 1: Take Intellect Devourers
Step 2: Remove Body Thief ability

Great Dragon
2019-07-20, 11:31 PM
Something that could be converted from 3x to 5e that might be able to do this, would be Haglings, in this case made by a Night Hag. (A Fiend Hag that uses Dream power to cause person to not get benefits of a Long Rest, which if they get 6 levels - days - of Exhaustion, they die)

Google-fu failed to find even where to look, so I'll have to go through old books/magazines to find stats for them.

I suppose young Night Hag/s could work....

To give at least some chance of escaping, maybe give the PCs at least one (Wis) Save a night (or Hour) to resist, and get normal sleep.

But, I'd most likely run this as a Chucky-type version of VS Freddy Campaign, where the PCs have to learn how to fight back inside the Dream, as well as solve problems (with increasing Disadvantage per night of no rest) while awake.

Maelynn
2019-07-23, 02:45 AM
Something that could be converted from 3x to 5e that might be able to do this, would be Haglings, in this case made by a Night Hag. (A Fiend Hag that uses Dream power to cause person to not get benefits of a Long Rest, which if they get 6 levels - days - of Exhaustion, they die)

Google-fu failed to find even where to look, so I'll have to go through old books/magazines to find stats for them.

From what I could find, Haglings appear in Creature Compendium II - Dark Menagerie. Which can be bought on Drivethrurpg here (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/3319/Creature-Collection-II-Dark-Menagerie?term=creature+collectio).

I didn't buy the pdf, so I can't verify.

Phhase
2019-07-23, 03:11 AM
You may be able to achieve something similar with the Visage from Libris Mortis page 130. This here (https://itsmygamemyrules.wordpress.com/2016/03/02/monstrous-compendium-visage/) is a more or less converted to 5e version. The Visage's Lucidity control is quite powerful. If you place the place on an salt flat beneath the desert sun, a Visage could easily create a Matrix-like world around the PCs and they would believe it real, all the while consuming no real food or drink and baking beneath the desert sun.