PDA

View Full Version : [Mutants and Masterminds 3e] Valid Quirk for “Variable Power-Based” Super-Villain

Zhentarim
2019-07-21, 02:42 PM
I can never decide what to play in mutants and masterminds games, and am considering making a character whose only power is variable so I can build the flexibility into my character needed to try lots of different ideas. Would it be a legal move to spend all my powerpoints on Variable with the “easily removable” and “slow” flaws? In theory, for every 4 points I spent, I’d have 5 virtual points I could spend on any power I wanted to try.

The Glyphstone
2019-07-21, 03:03 PM
'Legal' is entirely dependent on the GM, because MM is explicitly not balanced without input to make it so.

A plan to generate infinite power points by getting more out of it than you put in (spend 4, get 5, spend 4 of those to get 5, etc.) probably isn't going to fly under any GM, even if the rules technically allow it. If you don't do that, you're basically wagering the difference between your character being a full power hero and a 0-rank NPC on a single opposed Grapple/Disarm check (Easily Removable), which seems very risky. So you're either horrifically unbalanced and overpowered, or exceedingly vulnerable to a total shutdown.

Beleriphon
2019-07-21, 03:03 PM
I can never decide what to play in mutants and masterminds games, and am considering making a character whose only power is variable so I can build the flexibility into my character needed to try lots of different ideas. Would it be a legal move to spend all my powerpoints on Variable with the “easily removable” and “slow” flaws? In theory, for every 4 points I spent, I’d have 5 virtual points I could spend on any power I wanted to try.

Yes, that's technically correct. It's a jerk move as it means there are no limits on power structures and you can change the power set on the fly. I as a GM would not allow anything of the sort.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-07-21, 03:21 PM
In addition, the Variable power specifically calls out unlimited variability as not okay:

Keep in mind a Variable effect is not supposed to be “any effect I want.” That kind of unlimited power doesn’t belong in the hands of player characters, and is better reserved as a plot device for NPCs. A Variable effect can be “any effect within a given set of parameters,” but it’s up to you and the GM to define those parameters. The limits of power flexibility are deliberately set by Variable effects, the use of extra effort, and victory points.

There are a couple archetypes where I could see a really huge Variable effect-- a high level shapeshifter, an inventor type swapping stuff out in a lab, a Dial-H-for-Hero sort of thing-- but even there I don't think I'd let you buy more than ~PL ranks.

Zhentarim
2019-07-21, 03:34 PM
In addition, the Variable power specifically calls out unlimited variability as not okay:

There are a couple archetypes where I could see a really huge Variable effect-- a high level shapeshifter, an inventor type swapping stuff out in a lab, a Dial-H-for-Hero sort of thing-- but even there I don't think I'd let you buy more than ~PL ranks.

I’d love to build that inventor, but I’ve always been unsure how to do that best. My general idea is I can’t change my powers during a session, but I can swap out whatever during my downtime. I’d like to reliably make effects up to say 90 power points during downtime, so I could try out different ideas I have. Its less about beating the system and more about having a “sampler platter” since I’m still new to the system.

JeenLeen
2019-07-22, 08:31 AM
I’d love to build that inventor, but I’ve always been unsure how to do that best. My general idea is I can’t change my powers during a session, but I can swap out whatever during my downtime. I’d like to reliably make effects up to say 90 power points during downtime, so I could try out different ideas I have. Its less about beating the system and more about having a “sampler platter” since I’m still new to the system.

You could explain your reasons and ask the DM for character flexibility. That is, instead of using an easily-abused mechanic, literally just ask to rebuild your character between sessions in order to try different builds and see what you like. You could justify it in-game as an inventor switching gear, a robot shifting out components, a wizard changing long-term spell enhancements, whatever... but that gives a way to in-character keep a consistent person, while changing the mechanics drastically.

If I were DM, I'd feel more comfortable with that than someone using Variable. Especially if I had time for them to e-mail me the new build between sessions so I could look over it and declare it okay.

The Glyphstone
2019-07-22, 11:53 AM
I don't think there is a GM involved, based on precedent from similar threads posted by the OP. They like to pre-build characters then try to find games to use them in.

Notably, this DOES NOT WORK for M&M. But it is what it is.