PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Simple Pre-made Characters

Zetakya
2019-07-21, 04:41 PM
I've been asked to run a one-shot for a group of four kids (ages 7-9) and I need to make characters that will engage them in the story, and show them the basics of how the game works without getting too over-complex.

I'm thinking of running this at about level 6, because that's the earliest level at which I can reasonably have a (young) Dragon as the final boss, which I obviously want to have for an introductory game of D&D. I'm flexible on that, though.

I don't want to weigh the kids down with the more complex rules.

How would you build such a party?

gloryblaze
2019-07-21, 05:46 PM
I would maybe lean towards either level 3 characters with a red dragon wyrmling (CR 4, Hard encounter) or level 4 characters with a young white drafon (CR 6, Deadly encounter) so you can start off in tier 1 instead of skipping to tier 2.

Tawmis
2019-07-21, 05:52 PM
I've been asked to run a one-shot for a group of four kids (ages 7-9) and I need to make characters that will engage them in the story, and show them the basics of how the game works without getting too over-complex.
I'm thinking of running this at about level 6, because that's the earliest level at which I can reasonably have a (young) Dragon as the final boss, which I obviously want to have for an introductory game of D&D. I'm flexible on that, though.
I don't want to weigh the kids down with the more complex rules.
How would you build such a party?

Kids between the ages of 7 and 9 and you want to start them at Level 6?
Rules aside - I, personally, would think that might be way too much for a young (and I assume new?) player to understand ALL the powers their characters can do.
Especially if you're throwing in any kind of casters. These kids would need to know a WIDE assortment of spells and what they do. And every time they look something it up, it's going to choke the game.

I personally, because it's a one shot, start at Level 1.
This lets them all know just the FEW skills and powers and spells their characters have. You can spend the first part of it, answering what spells do what and what skills do what.
Once they understand, you can begin to immerse them into the game.

All things considered, you can still throw "a young dragon" at a group of Level 1 players. Just change the stats to Wyrmling or something. Let the kids win the fight against the dragon.

Or better yet, they make their way to the dragon, and the dragon is furious and swears revenge and flies away.

This may potentially hook them even more into the notion that they'd want to keep playing because you've given them a taste for it...

Mongobear
2019-07-21, 09:25 PM
At most, level 3, no multiclassing, no Feats, and run a very generic party--Great Weapon Fighter, Archery Rogue, Tanky Cleric, Blaster Wizard.

The standard video game group, maybe use their Race asbthe only true flavor, Half Orc Fighter, Halfling Rogue, Dwarf Cleric, Elven Wizard, or something.

Toadkiller
2019-07-21, 10:00 PM
Ran a game for some kids a little older the other week. I think I picked level 3 just to have a few more hp, might have been level 2. I found a simple character generator via Google and printed out double the number of prefab characters of various classes and races as expected players. The site I found had a random name generator built in.

As the kids came in I let them sort through and pick one with the understanding they could change the name and background and if there wasn’t anything they liked they could make one on the app to fit. They all picked one from the stack and everyone seemed happy. We had a slightly spell-caster heavy party as they liked those, but it worked out well enough. I think with newbie kids you need to be ready to fudge a smidge and improvise like crazy, but others will likely feel differently. I picked an adventure from the stack I’ve gotten from the DM Guild.

Zhorn
2019-07-22, 01:58 AM
Level 3
No multiclassing
No exotic races
PHB only
Fox only
Final Destination
:smalltongue:

At most, level 3, no multiclassing, no Feats, and run a very generic party--Great Weapon Fighter, Archery Rogue, Tanky Cleric, Blaster Wizard.

The standard video game group, maybe use their Race asbthe only true flavor, Half Orc Fighter, Halfling Rogue, Dwarf Cleric, Elven Wizard, or something.
But seriously, this is solid for first time players.
And the Red Dragon Wyrmling is a perfect first time boss. Though I'd bump up its HP to at least 100 and add a single legendary action claw (1d6+mod) to its abilities, and slap it onto a Large size, just for the visual feel of it being big.

opaopajr
2019-07-22, 05:10 AM
The fight with the Dragon Youngling (or Whelp) does not have to be to the death -- it can be a recurring villain. :smallcool:

This allows you to go lower level, and I agree 3rd lvl (maybe even 2nd so they can choose an archetype later, if there is a later) would be best. It IS a lot of mechanics for little kids at first, but lvl 2 or 3 gives just enough HP and Hit Dice cushion that they are not accidentally one-shotted by dice. And you will have to eventually introduce social and exploration mechanics, as kids naturally play pretend and will try for that too, so easy does it! Less mechanical cruft, more approachable fun! :smallsmile:

Also, don't pigeonhole the 4 class stereotypes too hard; e.g. make sure the fighter has real ranged weapon choices along with a two-hand weapon, and/or sword n board. I recommend a good mix of 3 versions of each of the 4 basic classes, so 12 pre-gens to choose from. Kids are very fast learners, but also don't like feeling they have to play an unwanted role, like the Monopoly Shoe.

These choices might make for a very different one-shot. Three wizards and a rogue makes for a very different game than "standard--fantasy-4." That adds replay value! :smallcool:

I'd keep the races restricted to 4 as well, just for simplicity.

Recommended Twelve Pre-Gens:
Fighter - Sword n Board (str/dex mix, med amr), Two-Handed (STR, hvy amr), Two-Weapon (DEX, med amr stealth) -- all need real range options too
Cleric - tanky Life, blasty Tempest, animal buddy Nature
Rogue - scout archery stat-mix, stealthy/ThiefTool INT, charmy talky WIS
Wizard - Evocation, Divination, Transmutation (reserve 1/3 spells with fun miscellany)

Maelynn
2019-07-23, 02:31 AM
- go for some classic tropes, such as the well-armoured Fighter, the bow-shooting Ranger, the backstabbing Rogue, and the fireballing Wizard (although at that level it'd be Firebolt, but hey).

- don't necessarily bump them to level 6, go with the Wyrmlings suggested so you can keep them at around level 3-4.

- simplify certain abilities and rules. Darkvision = you can see in the dark, no range limit or black/white or having it impaired if there's a torch. Elven Trance = 4 hours of 'sleep', no meditative semi-conscious state where you can still get some Perception. Don't use Feats that allows for special moves or difficult rules like a '-5 to attack to get a +10 to damage'.

- give them tokens to keep track of abilities that reset per short or long rest. "okay, this ability uses blue tokens and this one uses green. Once you use it, flip one of the tokens. Right, so you've had a bit of rest and had a bite to eat. Flip back the blue tokens, you can use them again. No, not the green ones, that's not until you've had a night's sleep."

- give them a bit of backstory, not too much but enough for them to know their character a bit. I did this when I created some one-shot characters for a workshop, it was a nice way to give the characters a face and a purpose without going too deep into them. Think of characters in a boardgame like Betrayal at House on the Hill - you know a bit, but not too much.

Zetakya
2019-07-23, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, especially those who were constructive rather than aggressive about it.

I take your point regarding level 3, and have decided to start them at that. I've also decided to go with one Heavy Armour user (Fighter), one Medium (Cleric), one Light (Rogue) and one unarmoured (Sorcerer).

I decided to go with the Sorcerer rather than the Wizard in order to keep things simple. I'm not really up for Wizardly bookkeeping in this game.

With them having a limited number of abilities, what I'm planning to do is create "Character Cards" with what they can do on it, and then use my office laminator on them. The Character cards will have checkboxes on them and I'll have some wipe-clean pens and the kids can tick off what abilities they use as they go.

Bjarkmundur
2019-07-23, 05:05 PM
With them having a limited number of abilities, what I'm planning to do is create "Character Cards" with what they can do on it, and then use my office laminator on them. The Character cards will have checkboxes on them and I'll have some wipe-clean pens and the kids can tick off what abilities they use as they go.

White-board markers and visual aids are amazing tools for young adventurers! Reading this I know they will have a blast playing with you :D

Tawmis
2019-07-24, 12:05 AM
White-board markers and visual aids are amazing tools for young adventurers! Reading this I know they will have a blast playing with you :D

^ This.

And to help, might I recommend tabletopaudio.com for music and sound effects?