PDA

View Full Version : Do animate dead style skeletons and zombies wink out in amf?

Particle_Man
2019-07-21, 06:02 PM
Animate dead the spell says you create a zombie or skeleton.

Antimagic field says magically summoned or created creatures disappear temporarily in an anti-magic field (or amf for short). So I think that applies to skeletons and zombies made by the spell animate dead, which is magic (though perhaps this does not apply to skeletons and zombies that just rise up spontaneously in a battlefield? Or is that magic too?)

Anyhow I would see it as the animating spirit winking out and the bones or body crashing to the floor, ready to rise up from prone when the amf goes away.

Does that sound about right? Would this apply to ghouls, etc., created by spells too?

Damon_Tor
2019-07-21, 07:40 PM
Yes, though personally I would narrate it as the corpse temporarily reanimating and falling to the ground.

stoutstien
2019-07-21, 08:18 PM
My ruling of this is the undead minions are still up but the Caster loses control of them while in the field.......

JNAProductions
2019-07-21, 08:24 PM
My ruling of this is the undead minions are still up but the Caster loses control of them while in the field.......

That's pretty explicitly NOT what happens by RAW. Do you tell your players who want to necromance about this ruling before they start playing?

Asmotherion
2019-07-21, 08:37 PM
Undead are not magically sustained just created by magic. Nothing would happen to them in an AMF.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/28/once-animated-a-skeletonzombie-would-stay-animated-in-antimagic-field/

The control is not specified as non instantaneus either; You instantaneusly feed Necrotic energy to the undead and they view you as their master; They will question your authority if you don't feed them over 24 hours but are otherwise obediant in the meanwile. At least that's what the RAW suggests.

stoutstien
2019-07-21, 08:38 PM
That's pretty explicitly NOT what happens by RAW. Do you tell your players who want to necromance about this ruling before they start playing?

Definitely. We all agreed that it makes more sense than then turning off and on. was a major plot point in one of my campaigns were the players had a device that caused a anti-magic field and they set it up to sabotage a necromancer trying to take over a temple of some miscellaneous deity that I can't think of at the moment.

JNAProductions
2019-07-21, 08:46 PM
Definitely. We all agreed that it makes more sense than then turning off and on. was a major plot point in one of my campaigns were the players had a device that caused a anti-magic field and they set it up to sabotage a necromancer trying to take over a temple of some miscellaneous deity that I can't think of at the moment.

Neat! Sounds like a fun time.

Particle_Man
2019-07-21, 09:14 PM
Undead are not magically sustained just created by magic. Nothing would happen to them in an AMF.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/28/once-animated-a-skeletonzombie-would-stay-animated-in-antimagic-field/

The control is not specified as non instantaneus either; You instantaneusly feed Necrotic energy to the undead and they view you as their master; They will question your authority if you don't feed them over 24 hours but are otherwise obediant in the meanwile. At least that's what the RAW suggests.

Weird that the spell specifically says “a creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence”, then. And you yourself, as well as the animate dead spell, talk about the undead being created. Was “, respectively, ” meant to be inserted after the word created in the description of the spell anti magic field so that created only applied to objects?

JackPhoenix
2019-07-22, 11:06 AM
Weird that the spell specifically says “a creature or object summoned or created by magic temporarily winks out of existence”, then. And you yourself, as well as the animate dead spell, talk about the undead being created. Was “, respectively, ” meant to be inserted after the word created in the description of the spell anti magic field so that created only applied to objects?

You can create a creature (heh) with Animate Objects or Animate Dead just fine. However, only the former would disappear in antimagic field, because it's got a duration. Animate Dead is instantanenous spell, the magic is gone after the undead is made. It will stay, the same way HP damage caused by Fireball or restored by Cure Wounds doesn't disappear when the creature that was affected by either spell walks into AMF later.