PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Exit, Center Stage

ZenBear
2019-07-21, 08:43 PM
Much to my and the party's dismay, my brother will be leaving town in a few short weeks, and we will only have time for one more session with him. As such, I want to give his character some closure on his backstory and hopefully provide a clean exit with the potential to return from time to time when he visits. I need help with the particulars.

My brother's character is Morik, a human Fighter who used to be a Mercenary (https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Mercenaries#Soldiers_of_Fortune)with the Steelhead Company (https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Category:Steelhead). He gave me a very bare bones backstory, this being his first time playing D&D. Something happened that made him jaded, so he left the Company to become an adventurer. I get to decide what event lead him to this decision. My current idea is that he was a Sergeant under the mentorship of Captain Damiano (https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Captain_Damiano), and his younger brother enlisted as a Halberdier (https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Steelhead_Halberdiers). In his brother's first battle, his unit of raw recruits was sacrificed as cannon fodder, taking heavy losses so that the more experienced and valuable Heavy Cavalry (https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Steelhead_Heavy_Cavalry), at the command of Lieutenant Stannis Brocker (https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Stannis_Brocker), could sweep in with a counter-charge. Enraged and disgusted, he leaves the Company.

In the latest session, the party has just liberated a coastal town from undead pirates (https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Cryx) and claimed a merchant sailing ship as their own. As they recover from the ordeal, everyone in the party experienced prophetic dreams foreshadowing their individual story arcs that I'm super excited to finally start exploring now that they're finishing up the introductory adventures. Everyone except Morik, who will be facing his past right away. The party cast Sending to inform their employer of their success, and a contingent of soldiers has arrived to relay new orders, lead by none other than Stannis Brocker himself.

At this point I haven't told Morik who Stannis Brocker is, simply that he knows the man as the one who drove him to leave the Company. I can change this story if someone gives me a better idea, but if not then this is what I'm running. My question is, what should I plan to happen? I've written up stat blocks for Stannis and his retinue of Heavy Cav that stacks up as a Hard encounter for the whole party. Brocker is CR 5, but if Morik (level 6 with a bonus Feat) were to challenge him to a duel, I'm reasonably sure it would be a fair fight since a lot of his abilities are tied to being mounted and flanking with allies. I also added an Arcanist (https://warmachineuniversity.com/mw/index.php/Steelhead_Arcanist)to the group who could potentially be added to the crew of their new ship, as he's loaded up with several useful spells for sailing and fighting at sea.

I know better than to plan exclusively for any one outcome, but I'm worried there are a bunch of ways this could go that I haven't accounted for and I would prefer to be ready. How else do you think this might go? What end should Stannis be pushing for? Should he be antagonistic, hoping to goad Morik into a duel? Should he be aloof and dismissive, expecting Morik to simply follow orders without compaint?

I'm thinking that if all goes well, Morik will become an NPC that Captains the ship while the party continues their adventures, providing him with an easy excuse to not join them but still be close at hand for when me brudder comes to visit. Or perhaps he kills Brocker in a duel and claims his rank within the Company, leaving the party entirely and having access to resources that might allow him to drop in when needed?

Thoughts?

NecessaryWeevil
2019-07-21, 08:49 PM
Why would Stannis have anything against Morik? Why would killing Stannis suddenly make Morik a cavalry lieutenant?

ZenBear
2019-07-21, 09:01 PM
Why would Stannis have anything against Morik? Why would killing Stannis suddenly make Morik a cavalry lieutenant?

Morik is a deserter, and left under Stannis's command. Morik wouldn't be a cav lieutenant, but he does have a custom magic item called the Badge of Authoritah that gives him some social shenanigans and a mercenary company could feasibly have some "might makes rank" dueling rules.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-07-21, 10:40 PM
Ah, I see.

Great Dragon
2019-07-21, 11:42 PM
I've been working on Plots with Fiends and so I'm stuck thinking about them for a little while.
See my To the 9th (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?591202-To-the-9th-(Plots)) thread for ways that I've changed things up.

Not sure if the following will help, but you can cherry pick what you like.

Morik is starting to really make a (Heroic) Name (Reputation) for himself. As such, he's attracting some (unwanted) attention.

Stannis Brocke has decided to expand his Command, on a personal level, if not within the Steelhead Company. Plus, a Ship could grant Stannis and his "men" access to higher paying Jobs.

Idea One
(you might already have what the Badge does, but here is a possibility)

The Badge of Authoritah* was made by the Devil Archduchess Zariel herself. Stannis figures that if he kills Morik, he can not only impress the Steelhead Commander, he can claim the Badge for himself and maybe use Morik's Soul as a bargaining chip to get a Sweeter Deal with Zariel.

* Legendary Item, Attunement, Cursed.
This Badge gives the wearer Advantage to Hit, and also allows the person to grant everyone within 30 feet an Attack as a Reaction.

Curse: This has two parts:
(1) The wearer, and anyone under their command within 300 feet, are transported to Avernus upon Death, where they are forced to join the Fighting in the Blood War.

(2) Anyone personally killed by the wearer must make a DC 20 Charisma Save or is also transported to Avernus upon Death; but Zariel cannot command them. (Rescue Plot?)

The spell Remove Curse allows the Badge to be removed without the wearer taking 50 (10d10) Psychic damage (no Save) and deactivating the Badge for 1d10 days, during which it does not detect as magical. The Badge is worth at least 1,000 gold, even without magic.

Idea Two

Stannis is now a Fiend Warlock of either Bel or Beal (or a Battleloth) and seeks to test his new power.

Idea Three

Geyron is manipulating Stannis into making this new "Hero" (Morik) look pathetic in the eyes of the people he just saved from Undead Pirates.
Geyron is also trying to steal as many Souls as he can…..

Let me know what you think.

ZenBear
2019-07-22, 12:17 AM
@Great Dragon
Thanks for the suggestions! I skimmed your link but unfortunately it doesn’t very well apply to Morik’s story. It is, however, a promising resource for another of my players who is a Tiefling with a Faustian Deal. I’ll keep it bookmarked.

You did provide a useful tidbit for Morik’s story though. I really like the idea of Stannis trying to take command of the ship, desiring to rise in rank to Captain or even to defect into piracy. This would immediately invest the entire party into hating and opposing him, so it wouldn’t just be about Morik. He would still take center stage for his final session of course, providing the context of why Brocker can’t be trusted to command them.

The Badge of Authoritah is an attuned magic item that lets you cast Command or Calm Emotions a few times a day by shouting, “Respect my Authoritah!” It automatically alters its insignia to match the local lawful authority, providing the effects of the Bad Reputation feature of the Pirate background, but instead of fearful motivation it’s respectful.

Tawmis
2019-07-22, 01:26 AM
Stannis Brocke has decided to expand his Command, on a personal level, if not within the Steelhead Company. Plus, a Ship could grant Stannis and his "men" access to higher paying Jobs.

Great Dragon and I think alike. When I read what you (OP) posted, I immediately thought that Stannis is more aligned with selfish/personal goals at the expense of others.
To make it drive the point home, I'd make it so he doesn't even recognize Morick. After all, to Stannis, Morick is just another tool to step upward, another nail in the board to hold his glory together. He doesn't remember the names of his soldiers, the way you wouldn't remember the specifics of looking at a nail. This would be (depending on the amount of RP) a good chance for Morick to have some RP moments about not remembering who he is, or the fact that Stannis cares nothing for those who died for his glory. Stannis would naturally think that the ship would be handed over to him (and his men, of course) to continue the war effort.

opaopajr
2019-07-22, 05:44 AM
Have his PC finds a clue that suggests evidence that will prove this Stannis Brocker is an incompetent, but to do so risks the party's fortunes and requires traveling with a secret society away from here! :smallcool: Standard melodrama fair. That way he can come back looking cool & different with neat mystery hooks, like heists and espionage!

It drags out the big resolution, but still drip feeds that there is real progress. AND it gives reason for his PC to drop in for guest appearances! :smallsmile:

Great Dragon
2019-07-22, 09:19 AM
It is, however, a promising resource for another of my players who is a Tiefling with a Faustian Deal. I’ll keep it bookmarked.

Thanks!
Glad that helped.

Depending on which Archduke the Tiefling is related to (if you're using MtoF) and who their Deal is with - lots of potential RP Plots!!

I think I'll use The Badge of Authoritah you have as a Uncommon item, and plot for some otherwise unimpressive baddies to get the Legendary one later😀

Some more interesting things from the others, as well. I'll ponder.