PDA

View Full Version : What happens? Artifacts and familiars

Erys
2019-07-21, 10:06 PM
For the sake of discussion you are a chainlock who has stumbled across the Eye of Vecna.

You decide to put the Eye in your familiar.

Familiar casts Disintegrate from the Eye and unluckily DM rolls under the 5% threshold for Vecna to consume its Soul.

... What happens? Familiars are just spirits in the form of animals or imps.

Does the familiar just stop being obedient?
Does the familiar die in a flash, leaving the Eye to fall to the ground?
Or, something else?

Jcp1195
2019-07-21, 11:27 PM
As per the Eye's description in the DMG, "Each time you cast a spell from the eye, there is a 5 percent that Vecna tears your soul from your body, devours it, and then takes control of the body like a puppet. If that happens, you become an NPC under the DM's control."

So there ya go. At that point it would likely cease to be a familiar so you probably wouldn't be able to whisk it away.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-07-21, 11:29 PM
This is an interesting thought that hadn't ever crossed my mind.

1) I don't see any reason for it not to work. The familiar always obeys your commands and there isn't any reason it wouldn't be allowed to attune to an item. There's no reason the eye would sever from it when you dismiss it. Dismissing it forever would likely have the spirit (from whichever realm it came from) doing some evil nonsense until Vecna inevitably consumes it soul.

Putting it in its pocket dimension or changing its shape seems safe though. It's also safe from being killed in most ways while it's your familiar.

2)Vecna takes control of the creature like a puppet when it fails the 5% roll. That would apply to the familiar, it would become an NPC with its own free will.

All I've learned from this is that an upstart Wizard can effectively seal away the Eye of Vecna by binding it to his familiar, banishing it to its pocket dimension and never calling on it again.