PDA

View Full Version : Disney Fairies

KyleG
2019-07-22, 06:21 AM
So i had this idea to do a one shot based on one of the fairies movies (probably The Pirate fairy or The Great Fairy rescue). Has an rpg system for this been done? If not any suggestions as to what might work.
Supposed to be a bit of goofy big kid and little kid fun in the vain of honey heist, trash pandas and the likes.

Segev
2019-07-22, 10:13 AM
So i had this idea to do a one shot based on one of the fairies movies (probably The Pirate fairy or The Great Fairy rescue). Has an rpg system for this been done? If not any suggestions as to what might work.
Supposed to be a bit of goofy big kid and little kid fun in the vain of honey heist, trash pandas and the likes.

If you have a D&D set, just let them all play pixies or sprites, and resize appropriately. If you're looking for a new system, I strongly recommend BESM, if you can find it. It's a pretty simple points-based system that lets you customize things. It has tips in the 3e book for building racial templates; you can give every player character a "fairy" template for free and a set of points to customize their fairy with.

KyleG
2019-07-22, 11:28 PM
Im not sure dnd system is what im after. Something more for a one shot. Think (if you know) trash pandas, honey heist. I want to adapt it to the fairies setting, with tinker, water, garden talents. Then run a story that roughly mirrors one of the movies

Particle_Man
2019-07-22, 11:54 PM
Well if they are *all* fairies you could play them as medium sized with wings (aaracockra?) and some innate magical abilities and resize the world appropriately (use giant rat stats for a rat, etc.).

Or just use Fate or some other aspect system, or perhaps some variant of PDQ system where you dictate your stats?

KyleG
2019-07-23, 02:09 AM
Ill have to look into those, my knowledge of other systems beyond dnd 5e is non existant.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-07-24, 05:50 AM
I've not seen those films, or played this game system, but I have an instinctive feeling that the system you want is Costume Fairy Adventures (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/144358).

farothel
2019-07-24, 10:35 AM
https://en-gb.facebook.com/PixieHollowRPG/
This looks like a fan created RPG. As I don't have a facebook account myself, I can't go further than the first page, but it might be something to check out. If someone has already done all the work, there's no need to re-invent the wheel.

Willie the Duck
2019-07-24, 11:35 AM
It all depends on what you are specifically looking for, and how much re-fluffing you are willing to do. I played a My Little Pony game (before My Little Pony:Tails of Equestria came out) simply by taking basic/classic red box D&D and saying, 'okay, we are declaring these adventurers to be ponies.'

If you are looking for kid-friendly TTRPGs, Toon, Cartoon Action Hour, and My Little Pony:Tails of Equestria are all good child-centric games that make playing child-friendly games easy. Golden Sky Stories, as a standout, focuses on heartwarmingness and the base assumption is that you play as an animal (so racoon is no problem). It is a diceless game, and uses Japanese kids-story staples rather than Disney-isms, but otherwise would work really well.

So I guess the main questions are:

How much are you willing to refluff?
What is the game focus (combat, task resolution, story, etc.)?
What specifically will the PCs be doing?
How much do the players care fairly winning a challenging game vs. taking part in a genre tale?

Khedrac
2019-07-24, 12:59 PM
I have never played it, but this sounds tailor-made for Toon (http://www.sjgames.com/toon/).

Elana
2019-07-24, 02:19 PM
Strangely enough My Little Pony:Tails of Equestria would do a pretty decent job for this.
Just have them play fairies instead of ponies, replace cutie mark stuff with fairy talents and you are done.

For one shots or short campaigns the system does everything you want.
(If you want to do any campaign of more than 10 sessions ... it becomes less good)

KyleG
2019-07-25, 01:41 AM
Strangely enough My Little Pony:Tails of Equestria would do a pretty decent job for this.
Just have them play fairies instead of ponies, replace cutie mark stuff with fairy talents and you are done.

For one shots or short campaigns the system does everything you want.
(If you want to do any campaign of more than 10 sessions ... it becomes less good)

I am discovering that now...looks good. Now to come up with some talents. Maybe only give the players a choice from a small pool for each type (replacing unicorn/pegasi/earth, with garden/light/water/tinker/animal/wind/scout)

I am wondering if one base talent for each type is just their elemental ability but not give specifics leaving it up to the player to describe what they want to do with it. "i concentrate a sunbeam of light into their eyes blinding them", "i cause roots to spring up and entangle them" "i call out for some birds to distract them". But then have a pool of other talents for them to choose from maybe?

LibraryOgre
2019-07-25, 09:25 AM
Hackmaster has Pixie-Fairies as PCs, but a lot depends on the tone you're going for.

erikun
2019-07-27, 08:07 AM
Faery's Tale Deluxe (https://greenroninstore.com/products/faerys-tale-deluxe-pdf) is exactly this. It's a game about running a bunch of fairies, and doing fairy-like things, and seems directly inspired by the Disney Fairy setting. Fairy types include ones that fly, ones that turn invisible, ones that ride animals (birds and dragonflies and such) and "health" is both an ability to keep doing when taking damage, and a reserve for using magic. They might need to accept slightly different fairy types (not all fly) or you'd need to give some additional abilities to starting characters. The biggest concern is that the system is fairly simple and might not hold their interest past a few sessions. It also doesn't come with much companion material at all, so if you wanted any ideas past the initial one you have, you'll need to create them yourself.

Tails of Equestria actually seems like it might work as well. It's been awhile since I read through either one, but I seem to recall Tails of Equestria having a bit more involved of a system, with a handful of stats and a simple roll-plus-add. Plus, Tails does have the additional setting material if you wanted to run more sessions, and it shouldn't be too hard to modify the pony types into plant fairies, animal fairies, light fairies, and so on. If you're worried about them getting bored with Faery's Tale, or want to do more with the setup, then Tails of Equestria is probably the better choice. If you're not worried about that or just want a one-shot, then Faery's Tale Deluxe might be worth looking at.

Eldan
2019-07-27, 09:16 AM
Fate is never wrong, very kid friendly, and enormously flexible. All you have to do to build a character is describe them, then assing a few skills.

lightningcat
2019-07-27, 10:16 AM
Im not sure dnd system is what im after. Something more for a one shot. Think (if you know) trash pandas, honey heist. I want to adapt it to the fairies setting, with tinker, water, garden talents. Then run a story that roughly mirrors one of the movies

The "I want to do X, but the games I know don't let me do it." mentality is the reason most of us learn new games. Or make new games, but that is a different rabbithole.

Fate is never wrong, very kid friendly, and enormously flexible. All you have to do to build a character is describe them, then assing a few skills.

Depending on how Disney you go, I think Fate Accelerated might be even better. I really like FAE for easy-going one-shots.

erikun
2019-07-27, 01:04 PM
I am a big fan of Fate as well, and if you are looking for a new system to learn which could handle Disney Fairies along with a bunch of other random stuff, then it would be among my top recommendations. The fact that it is pay-what-you-like (https://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79&products_id=223), complete with a free download if you just want to get the system, makes it a great system to get ahold of and try out. (It also has a System Reference Document (https://fate-srd.com/) online.)

Fate Accelerated is pay-what-you-like as well. (https://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79&products_id=224)

My biggest concern is that, especially for a bunch of young players and a completely new GM, it might be hard to get a hold of the balance and how the system operates. I remember playing Fate 2e as a young adult and just beating my head against difficulties with a just-keep-rolling-until-success mentality, which is certainly not the best way to do it. And a brand new GM, not at all familiar with the system, would probably have some challenge in making encounters which don't end up KOing the party by accident. Or, for that matter, handling the game when they do.

It's why I recommended other systems, which have adventures or campaigns that you could run which can give an idea of where to start. Fate 4e doesn't have a fairies adventure book out (I pretty much have them all, it doesn't) so it'll be up to the GM to create one in full. But yes, if you're looking at getting a system that can do a bunch of different things past Disney Fairies, then Fate Core, a.k.a. Fate 4e, is a good choice to pick up.

Kardwill
2019-07-29, 10:09 AM
Depending on how Disney you go, I think Fate Accelerated might be even better. I really like FAE for easy-going one-shots.

And Fate accelerated is quite good for games where you all play "characters with the same broad ranges of abilities, but with quirks / who resolve stuff differently". The approach system works well out of the box for "You all play muskeeteers" (D'artagnan is quick/flashy, Athos is careful/clever, Porthos is brutal, Aramis is flashy/sneaky...), "You all play police investigators", "you all play hogwarth student", this kind of things, and it needs very little tinkering.

Only problem is that Accelerated is not the easiest Fate game to grasp (the book is short and simple, but it lacks the explanations found in Fate Core)

Willie the Duck
2019-07-29, 11:14 AM
Hackmaster has Pixie-Fairies as PCs, but a lot depends on the tone you're going for.

Having read KoDT, which Hackmaster is spun off from, that sounds positively frightening.

Amechra
2019-07-29, 04:06 PM
I've not seen those films, or played this game system, but I have an instinctive feeling that the system you want is Costume Fairy Adventures (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/144358).

I second that quite heavily. And oh, hey, there's a quick start (https://penguinking.com/files/cfa/quickstart/cfa-quickstart-core-rules-booklet.pdf).

Knaight
2019-07-29, 07:31 PM
The usual selection of generics should work pretty well here, with an eye towards the lighter side given the games listed and the amount heavy system chargen sucks when running one shots. I'd recommend Fudge or Cortex personally, but Fate, D6 Open, and potentially Savage Worlds all work too.

That said, if you're looking for the specific subgenre of a kid and their fairy that opens up Monsters and Other Childish Things. That explicitly focuses on children with magical companions, and while it normally leans a bit more into the eldritch horror side for said magical companions swapping in fairies should be pretty easy.