PDA

View Full Version : Xbox controller not recognized by PC

Phhase
2019-07-22, 12:49 PM
So I scavenged what seems like a completely normal Xbox wireless controller. I got a PC connect cable and tested it at the store, and it seems to work fine (Store probably uses windows 10). At home I connected it to my computer (win 7) and it said the drivers failed to install correctly, and it didn't recognize the device. I tried downloading the proper drivers and restarting, but it didn't do anything.

What do?

False God
2019-07-23, 11:04 PM
Check for drivers compatible with your OS and check if the drivers/software you got for the device work with Win10.

snowblizz
2019-07-24, 04:40 AM
Upgrade Windows 7 to 10 for free. And then try. Might work out.

Erloas
2019-07-24, 10:06 AM
In Win7 it says you have to get the drivers from the auto-update site, they may no longer have it available though. There doesn't seem to be an official direct download for the Win7 drivers at this point. You can still find the drivers posted online, but be careful downloading drivers from 3rd party sites because that is an easy way to get viruses.

Although a bit more looking and apparently the Australian version of the Microsoft site still has the Win7 driver direct download
https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-au/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

Phhase
2019-07-24, 11:49 AM
Plot thickens: I plugged the controller into my laptop (Win8) and while the laptop recognized it and apparently has the right drivers, the green ring on the controller just flashes and I can't seem to actually use the controller in a game becase it doesn't sense a second controller.

Update: the same happens with my win7 computer now that I installed the driver. It does recognize the controller and say it has the right driver, which is progress.

Games like Nuclear Throne do not sense a gamepad when I start them.

KillianHawkeye
2019-07-25, 10:32 PM
If it is, as you said, a wireless controller, I think you probably need the wireless receiver device in order to use it on a PC. While the play-and-charge cable does have a USB connector, it does not transmit information between the controller and the device it's plugged into.

My advice for PC usage is to just get the standard wired controller.

If you're dealing with an Xbox One controller, I'm not sure if the above information is correct, but I suspect it hasn't changed that much. You haven't actually said what controller you got, though (unless you meant it's from the original Xbox).

Phhase
2019-07-26, 08:53 AM
If it is, as you said, a wireless controller, I think you probably need the wireless receiver device in order to use it on a PC. While the play-and-charge cable does have a USB connector, it does not transmit information between the controller and the device it's plugged into.

My advice for PC usage is to just get the standard wired controller.

If you're dealing with an Xbox One controller, I'm not sure if the above information is correct, but I suspect it hasn't changed that much. You haven't actually said what controller you got, though (unless you meant it's from the original Xbox).

It's standard Xbox 360. Huh. What's the point of the PLAY and charge cable then?

Brother Oni
2019-07-26, 01:03 PM
It's standard Xbox 360. Huh. What's the point of the PLAY and charge cable then?

So Microsoft can make more money out of you you can use the controller while it's charging from the console.

Your initial post implied that you had the correct adapter - since it looks like you don't, you need a Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver (https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/accessories/xbox-360-wireless-gaming-receiver-windows).

Erloas
2019-07-26, 02:35 PM
I'm not totally positive about the Xbox controller, but I know with the PS4 controller any normal Bluetooth adaptor will work. Though the cheapest one might not be the best idea. I bought one for like $5 and while it works it is giving me some latency errors, but I don't know if that is the adapter or the 3rd party program that is needed to use PS4 rather than the Xbox controller, which is what the PC defaults controller to.

snowblizz
2019-07-27, 04:43 PM
I'm not totally positive about the Xbox controller, but I know with the PS4 controller any normal Bluetooth adaptor will work. Though the cheapest one might not be the best idea. I bought one for like $5 and while it works it is giving me some latency errors, but I don't know if that is the adapter or the 3rd party program that is needed to use PS4 rather than the Xbox controller, which is what the PC defaults controller to.

One thing I've learnt with Micorsoft peripherals is they do not like to make them interoperable.

They had the device, and software to make Win10 in to a capable 3D scanning and printing machine but hell if they wanted it. Can't even get the part you need to hook the Kinect to a PC anymore. Officially.

warty goblin
2019-07-29, 06:51 PM
Wireless XBox controllers don't work with Windows 7 full stop, at least when I tried that trick about nine years ago. The wired ones work fine though.

KillianHawkeye
2019-07-29, 10:36 PM

Yeah, I made that same mistake many, many years ago. It's literally just so you can still use it while the battery is dead.

Wireless XBox controllers don't work with Windows 7 full stop, at least when I tried that trick about nine years ago. The wired ones work fine though.

IIRC, you needed software/drivers to use them? It didn't come with Windows automatically until Windows 8, but I think you could download it. Not 100% sure, since I skipped Win7.

Phhase
2019-07-31, 04:13 PM
Yeah, I made that same mistake many, many years ago.
I skipped Win7.

FTFY. Yeah there are drivers online, I downloaded them.

KillianHawkeye
2019-08-01, 09:05 PM
FTFY.

U wot, mate? :smallconfused: