PDA

View Full Version : An Epic Spell to become a deity?

Conradine
2019-07-22, 03:22 PM
In your opinion what would be a correct DC for a spell that permanently turns the caster in a deity?
Not a powerful deity, just an humble quasi-deity ( rank 0 ).

DarkSoul
2019-07-22, 03:24 PM
Well, evidently DC 315 isn't enough to do it.

Conradine
2019-07-22, 03:28 PM
Why 315? :/

MisterKaws
2019-07-22, 03:53 PM
Seed:Destruction to about 300d6 then aim at a demigod. Maybe with Seed:Transport to cast it from your comfy demiplane. Taking divine sparks is really easy.

Conradine
2019-07-22, 04:06 PM
Not a spell to replicate Karsus Folly, just something smaller, to achieve the status of a valkyrie or an einherjar ( a grade 0 deity ).

MisterKaws
2019-07-22, 04:08 PM
Not a spell to replicate Karsus Folly, just something smaller, to achieve the status of a valkyrie or an einherjar ( a grade 0 deity ).

Cast said Destruction spell at a valkyrie and steal its divine rank.

You could also just use Seed:Fortify to buff diplomacy then ask Odin nicely.

DarkSoul
2019-07-22, 04:15 PM
Sorry, DC 419. Vengeful Gaze of God in the ELH is that DC and it just does damage.

An appropriate number depends on the campaign and DM, I think. Karsus' Avatar had staggeringly expensive components. One of the components of the spell required the pituitary gland from the tarrasque just to create the component. I'd probably put it somewhere in the several hundreds to create a spell that would affect a demigod.

Or you could just shapechange into a dragon permanently and then take 12 levels of Dragon Ascendant.

Kalkra
2019-07-22, 04:31 PM
Immortals Handbook - Ascension has epic spells which do that, either temporarily or permanently, but the lowest permanent one is DC 790, without any mitigating factors, and that gets some IH-style divinity, which is kinda different than the usual type.

Mr Adventurer
2019-07-22, 04:51 PM
Taking divine sparks is really easy.

Interesting - have you go some references for that I can look at? Because I don't think there are any.

Asmotherion
2019-07-22, 05:16 PM
Immortals Handbook - Ascension has epic spells which do that, either temporarily or permanently, but the lowest permanent one is DC 790, without any mitigating factors, and that gets some IH-style divinity, which is kinda different than the usual type.
Honestly DC 790 is not that hard to beat;

Just Buff-Loop your int through the Fortify seed; Optionally build a cult of spellcasters who can assist you (leadership chain).

An optimised Spellcraft can be around +46 at level 20. +69 (79 assuming you take 10) if you can use item Familiar.

With this DC you can buff your int by a lot as soon as you get Epic spells; Any int boost gives you a higher optainable DC thus you can boost your int even more (as soon as you research the new spell) and have a long enough Duratin on the spell.

Boost Cha in the same way and you can easyly persuade high level arcane Casters that your "experiment to attain Godhood" is more than worth their wile and they should assist you.

MisterKaws
2019-07-22, 05:19 PM
Interesting - have you go some references for that I can look at? Because I don't think there are any.

Deities and Demigods has a lot of rules for getting Divine Ranks, and they really do hammer it on two of them: getting legions of people to worship you, and usurping from other deities. The latter one is what I'm talking about. As long as the DM is on board with it, you can get a god's divine spark(which includes their divine rank and domains) by simply killing them. Though do take note that some gods have resurrection methods, so it might require Unnaming to get rid of them.

Also be careful of them returning as vestiges and starting weird organizations focused on dethroning you.

Conradine
2019-07-22, 07:05 PM
I thought that settling for quasi-divinity would be a little easier and less risky.

MisterKaws
2019-07-22, 07:20 PM
I thought that settling for quasi-divinity would be a little easier and less risky.

The whole Deities and Demigods book is hard-locked behind DM fiat. You can use any method of ascension described there, but the DM decides whether it works or not. What we can suggest you is just ways to fulfill the requirements for every single method presented there, which is what I did, basically.

White Blade
2019-07-22, 08:52 PM
In your opinion what would be a correct DC for a spell that permanently turns the caster in a deity?
Not a powerful deity, just an humble quasi-deity ( rank 0 ).

The Benefits of the Package:
• Immunity to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain
• Immunity to mind effecting effects
• Immunity to death effects
• Don't age, eat, breathe, or sleep
• SR 32
• DR 10/Epic
• Fire Resistance 5
• Doubled Speed (60 ft.)

Very valuable overall, of course, invaluable for an actual being. But for players?
Player Alternatives:
• DMM Persist Sheltered Vitality
• Mindblank
• Death Ward, Soulfire Armor
• Quirky! Major IC benefit, idk if there's an equivalent
• SR 32 - DC 47 Fortify Check
• Fire Resistance 5 - DC 23 Fortify
• DR 10/Epic - DC 52 Fortify Check
• Doubled Speed - Expeditious Retreat

Alright, so the easily translatable fortify checks need to be added up - DC 132. I'll calculate the effective spell level x 4 for the non-epic spells (40 + 36 +16 + 4) = 96. 132 + 96 = 228. To make the duration permanent multiply it by five: 228 x 5 = 1140.

DC 1140 would probably be quite reasonable. It would not, however, grant you perfect HD rolls - There seems to be no way to duplicate that.

False God
2019-07-22, 09:06 PM
As far as I'm aware, without the DM saying "yeah that works" there are very few things that by the RAW make you a demigod (or higher). The 12-level dragon prestige class Dragon Ascendant (Draconomicon) will do it though. If you can meet the entry requirements of BAB +30 and being a true dragon (this will in most cases mean you're an adult or older dragon assuming 20th+ Wizard) and complete the class, yeah, you can be a Rank 0 Quasi-deity.

Alternatively, create a legion of fanatical followers who will kill or convert anything in their path to worship you.

A player at one of my high-level games did that on accident. Created a new spell like Liveoak, but permanent like Awaken and gave said Treant the ability cast this spell on up to 2 trees 1/day (the DM made it a 9th level spell and noone thought much of it). At first it was all like "yeah, we'll have a handful of guardians for the forest we have to save in this quest!" then via some magical time-travel shenanigans, we disappeared for 700+ years. The last command the character issued was "protect the forest".

OOPS.

Bphill561
2019-07-22, 09:11 PM
Seed:Destruction to about 300d6 then aim at a demigod. Maybe with Seed:Transport to cast it from your comfy demiplane. Taking divine sparks is really easy.

The 3.5 epic destinies has Demigod as a path. Epic destinies have you lose epic feats from 21 to 30 HD. The demigod path grants a divine rank of 0 at level 30. Probably the most straight forward way if you can use web enhancements. Personally I prefer the artifact Lord path. On a tablet, you will have to search for the link yourself.

AthasianWarlock
2019-07-22, 09:31 PM
There is a spell that makes you a deity. It's called ice assassin or similacrim. Create one of an avatar of a deity, and then have them designate you a divine proxy. You gain a divine rank. Then you can loop if you want to become a greater deity. For less cheese there is the quasidiety class feature of the dragon ascendent, but it's pretty hard to get for a PC without extreme cheddar.

Edit: I did do this in a game once, I used it to become a demigod. I had seen an avatar of loath. I made an ice assassin and had her make me a proxy. Then me and the party tracked her down and killed her.

redking
2019-07-22, 10:53 PM
An epic spell should not be able to do that by itself. Perhaps as a catalyst for some great ritual, such as draining the souls and lifeforce of millions of people.

Kalkra
2019-07-23, 10:54 AM
Honestly DC 790 is not that hard to beat;

Just Buff-Loop your int through the Fortify seed; Optionally build a cult of spellcasters who can assist you (leadership chain).

An optimised Spellcraft can be around +46 at level 20. +69 (79 assuming you take 10) if you can use item Familiar.

With this DC you can buff your int by a lot as soon as you get Epic spells; Any int boost gives you a higher optainable DC thus you can boost your int even more (as soon as you research the new spell) and have a long enough Duratin on the spell.

Boost Cha in the same way and you can easyly persuade high level arcane Casters that your "experiment to attain Godhood" is more than worth their wile and they should assist you.

Honestly, what you get for DC 790 isn't that great compared to a Deities and Demigods-style quasi-deity. That being said, you raise an excellent point about a legion of spellcasters, because the spell targets "One Creature or Object"(?). Ignoring the weirdness about objects, (I think maybe it was supposed to grant the object the ability to grant divinity to it's owner, but it doesn't say), once you develop the spell, you can cast it on your entire spellcaster legion. Also, a DC of 1990 will grant something much closer to a Deities and Demigods-style quasi-deity, better in some ways, actually.

Conradine
2019-07-23, 11:22 AM
The Benefits of the Package:
• Immunity to ability damage, ability drain, and energy drain
• Immunity to mind effecting effects
• Immunity to death effects
• Don't age, eat, breathe, or sleep
• SR 32
• DR 10/Epic
• Fire Resistance 5
• Doubled Speed (60 ft.)

Very valuable overall, of course, invaluable for an actual being. But for players?
Player Alternatives:
• DMM Persist Sheltered Vitality
• Mindblank
• Death Ward, Soulfire Armor
• Quirky! Major IC benefit, idk if there's an equivalent
• SR 32 - DC 47 Fortify Check
• Fire Resistance 5 - DC 23 Fortify
• DR 10/Epic - DC 52 Fortify Check
• Doubled Speed - Expeditious Retreat

Alright, so the easily translatable fortify checks need to be added up - DC 132. I'll calculate the effective spell level x 4 for the non-epic spells (40 + 36 +16 + 4) = 96. 132 + 96 = 228. To make the duration permanent multiply it by five: 228 x 5 = 1140.

DC 1140 would probably be quite reasonable. It would not, however, grant you perfect HD rolls - There seems to be no way to duplicate that.

Does it takes into account that having supernatural qualities istead of magical causes an increase of DC?

MisterKaws
2019-07-23, 12:49 PM
Does it takes into account that having supernatural qualities istead of magical causes an increase of DC?

That's an ad-hoc modifier. Again, up to DM fiat.

When you get into that territory it's all DM fiat.

Conradine
2019-07-23, 02:01 PM
There is a rule in the Epic Levels Handbook:

Seed:CONJURE
Conjuration (Creation)
Spellcraft DC: 21
Components: V, S
Range: 0 ft.
Effect: Unattended, nonmagical object of nonliving matter up to 20 cu. ft.
Duration: 8 hours
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
This seed creates a nonmagical, unattended object of nonliving matter of up to 20 cubic feet in volume. The caster must succeed at an appropriate skill check to make a complex item. The seed can create matter ranging in hardness and rarity from vegetable matter all the way up to mithral and even adamantine. Simple objects have a natural duration of 24 hours. For each additional cubic foot of matter created, increase the Spellcraft DC by +2. Attempting to use any created object as a material component or a resource during epic spell development causes the spell to fail and the object to disappear.

The Conjure seed can be used in conjunction with the life and fortify seeds for an epic spell that creates an entirely new creature, if made permanent. To give a creature spell-like abilities, apply other epic seeds to the epic spell that replicate the desired ability. To give the creature a supernatural or extraordinary ability rather than a spell-like ability, double the cost of the relevant seed. Remember that two doublings equals a tripling, and so forth. To give a creature Hit Dice, use the fortify seed. Each 5 hit points granted to the creature gives it an additional 1 HD. Once successfully created, the new creature will breed true.

White Blade
2019-07-23, 02:10 PM

No it does not.

Conradine
2019-07-23, 02:14 PM
So its 96 * 2 = 192 + 132= 324 * 5= 1620

White Blade
2019-07-23, 02:27 PM
So its 96 * 2 = 192 + 132= 324 * 5= 1620

Yes, if my method of calculating Spellcraft DC for non-epic spells is correct.

Rijan_Sai
2019-07-23, 03:21 PM
Step 1: Be a Kobold.
Sorry...
(So many... "interesting" ideas here, that I'm surprised no one mentioned the "obvious!":smalltongue: )

MisterKaws
2019-07-23, 10:53 PM
Step 1: Be a Kobold.
Sorry...
(So many... "interesting" ideas here, that I'm surprised no one mentioned the "obvious!":smalltongue: )

I mean, if you go as far as to ask how to make a GitP Wizard, I presume you already read the Batman guide and Pun-Pun, plus at least a couple T0 manuals.