PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Sublime Chord casting

crankykobold
2019-07-22, 03:38 PM
Can Sublime Chord spell slots b used to metamagic lower level spells from your Bard list? Or do they have to be kept separate? For example, quicken a Bard Haste in a 6th level Sublime Chord slot?

MisterKaws
2019-07-22, 03:47 PM
RAW, no, but RAI should be reasonable enough.

Bphill561
2019-07-22, 09:34 PM
As above, not really.

I did have a crazy build using the Arcane Preparation and Arcane Manipulation. Arcane Manipulation let's you break a spell slot down into a number of smaller spell slots when you prepare spells. So say you break down a level 6 slot into a 1, 2, and 3 spell slot. These are real slots, so they should give you bonus spells slots if you did not have those lower slots before.

Bard 1/ Cleric 1/ Wizard 1/ Human Paragon 2/ Eldritch Master 2/ Dweomerkeeper 1/ Eldritch Master 2/ Sublime Chord 1/ DK 9

Human Paragon and 1 DK level gets Wizard to 3rd level with 2nd level spells. Eldritch master gets a spell slot one level higher than you can currently cast at level 3 for 3rd level spells. Eldritch Master also gets bonus spells known from levels 1-4 to apply to spontaneous casting classes. The bard does not have 1st level spells at level 1, so I would think you could apply them to the sublime chord once you take levels in it. The sublime chord already has the bard and sorcerer spell list so you are in business. Level 4 of Eldritch Master also grants an additional spell list known, say cleric. So you have bard wizard cleric spell lists to choose from. Caster level is not the best,but I ran it as a Gish buffer.

An easier route might be to throw in knowstones from dragon magazine since they give you an additional spell known, but you still have to be able to cast a spell of that level. So UMD skill should work to emulate a class feature and then cast the spell metamagiced in a higher slot. They cost the spell level squared times 1000. You can use magic device to emulate it is a spell on your list too to venture outside of your class. A custom runestaff from the magic item compendium should work the same way, just less times a day.

FaerieGodfather
2019-07-23, 05:11 AM
It is definitely not even a little bit legal by RAW, but I think any reasonable DM should allow a reasonable player to get away with it.