PDA

View Full Version : GM Screen

zinycor
2019-07-23, 12:22 AM
Do you use one?

Personally I have never used mine, Always feel that is only there in order to hide rolls from players and allow the Gm to cheat. Only other use is on the tables on the Gm side, but a good notebook and pc on hand is just as good for that.

What about you? Do you use a GM screen? For what purposes? Is its use relevant or is it just an iconic thing?

Jerrykhor
2019-07-23, 12:40 AM
How else is a DM going to hide his notes?

Also, most DM screens have quick references to the rules, what each conditions do, weapons/armour table and other useful information.

I both like and don't like having a DM screen. I like them for the reasons mentioned above, and dont like them because i like to roll dice in the open, but I'm too lazy to stand up :smallbiggrin:

Waazraath
2019-07-23, 01:12 AM
What about you? Do you use a GM screen? For what purposes? Is its use relevant or is it just an iconic thing?

Yes, in each and every game. For these reasons:
- If I'd roll in the open, my players would deduct the stats of my monsters. Imo, it contributes greatly to the game that players don't know. Less metagame, more exitement / wonder about not knowing what they are encountering. Probably less relevant if you play with veterans that know each stat block by heart (though then again, with such a group I'd adjust the stat blocks).

- fudging rolls. Yeah, I'm usually against it, but every once and a while, you get to the situation where following the outcome of a roll is simply unfun for everybody. If a party faces a normal challange but just gets really unlucky with the dice, I'm not gonna get them TPK'd because I roll yet another crit.

- theatrics. A DM is also being part entertainer - it's fun to use the DM screen as a tool. Look really difficult after making a roll, and leave a dramatic moment befor anouncing if it was a fuble, crit or nothing special. Roll a lot of dice behind the screen between combat, when nothing is really happening, to have the players wonder 'what is happening'. Etc.

- Player rolls that would give away too much. It's a house rule, but some rolls like death saving throws, or some trap disarmments, I roll behind the screen for the player. The players having to act on not knowing exactly how bad their fallen mate is faring, and not realy knowing for sure if that death trap is really disabled or just seems to be so, adds to the fun (at least in my experiece, both as a DM and a player).

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-23, 01:21 AM
I always roll in the open.
I use a PC or a phone for the rules and my notes.

I want the players to know that I am really unlucky with my rolls and that I am not forcing them to play in easy mod.

Dork_Forge
2019-07-23, 02:04 AM
I haven't ran an in person game yet but I'd feel like I'd want one just to build up that sense of mystery and keep notes/ minis hidden. I do however find an online GM screen very useful when I DM, my girlfriend found one on Trello and it's been a big help for quick reference.

If anyone is interested: https://trello.com/b/D4PCtl95/dm-screen-5e-public

hymer
2019-07-23, 02:15 AM
I usually have a screen on the table next to me when I GM, not on the main gaming table. I don't like having an obstacle between myself and the players that I have to peek over to see what's going on in front of it. And I roll in the open whenever possible, so no need for that. I keep my notes in size 6 text, so it's really only the maps that need hiding, and they can easily be placed behind the screen on the table next to me.

zinycor
2019-07-23, 02:18 AM
I usually have a screen on the table next to me when I GM, not on the main gaming table. I don't like having an obstacle between myself and the players that I have to peek over to see what's going on in front of it. And I roll in the open whenever possible, so no need for that. I keep my notes in size 6 text, so it's really only the maps that need hiding, and they can easily be placed behind the screen on the table next to me.

That seems to be the best way to do things IMO.

Zhorn
2019-07-23, 03:14 AM
I'm using the screen to hide notes, module pages, stat blocks, and tokens.
I've yet to fudge a roll, but I don't doubt I will at some point.

Maelynn
2019-07-23, 04:06 AM
I use a screen to hide both my rolls and my notes on the story and the monsters.

Imagine if the players could see I have a few notes and one says 'troll', then they could use that information to stock up on a few Alchemist's Fire or make sure they have fire spells prepared during a long rest. Or if I had the layout of a dungeon riddled with traps, then they'd know where to expect one and lose the element of surprise.

My screen isn't an official one, I made it from a cardboard box and some strips of velcro (that way you can make it stand, and afterwards fold it up when I need to put it away). Only real downside of the screen is that I need to stand up to get a good look at the battlefield whenever we use a map and minis, but that's partly because I'm short. I might decide to cut off part of the screen, that depends on whether I can get some tools to do it neatly and not end up with a jagged top.

MoiMagnus
2019-07-23, 04:14 AM
It's practical to hide my monster manual open at the relevant page.
But among the RPG I DM, D&D is the one where I play the most "openly", so I don't really need it (and most of the time, I forget to take it with me, so...)

When playing stuff like Paranoia, it is very important to organise all the secret informations from all the players and secret roles and objectives (and secret rolls). I couldn't play without a screen.

Laserlight
2019-07-23, 04:24 AM
I don't use a screen; I prefer to see my players and the action on the table. I print my monsters stat blocks and keep the pages face down, or on my tablet.

Glorthindel
2019-07-23, 04:50 AM
Best use of a DM screen I have ever seen was my Call of Cthulu DM.

For some (later discovered) reason he wanted to run the session by candlelight. Was a bit of a ball ache constantly squinting at your sheets in the gloom, and my character sheet bore wax drip marks til the end of the campaign, but it was atmospheric, so we ran with it.

About three-quarters of the way through the session, he asked us to make Spot Hidden checks, and we all dutifully dipped our heads to try and read our dice and skill levels in the dark. With us all distracted, he slipped a painted mask out from behind his DM screen and put it on... we all looked up from our (meaningless) skill checks, and collectively nearly crapped ourselves :smalleek:

Brookshw
2019-07-23, 05:47 AM
Do you use one? Nope, not since 2e.

Personally I have never used mine, Always feel that is only there in order to hide rolls from players and allow the Gm to cheat.

Seems unfair to assume its for cheating. I don't know about current screens, but older screens had a lot of handy references and let you keep notes/maps secret which is hardly cheating. Also, I'm not willing to judge the applicability or usefulness of a thing based on how someone could abuse it.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-07-23, 06:35 AM
I haven't used one since I first started GMing. They always seemed like a waste of table space. I trust my players not to read my notes (and I sit at least 90 degrees from adjacent players, so it's harder to do accidentally), I don't use minis, and if I really feel like I need to hide a roll, I can just use my hand or something.

Sigreid
2019-07-23, 06:57 AM
I play over the net but my die rolls happen in the same application as everyone else, fully visible.

In person games, the purpose of the screen is to hide my maps and notes. I still roll in the open.

NRSASD
2019-07-23, 06:57 AM
My screen isn't an official one, I made it from a cardboard box and some strips of velcro (that way you can make it stand, and afterwards fold it up when I need to put it away). Only real downside of the screen is that I need to stand up to get a good look at the battlefield whenever we use a map and minis, but that's partly because I'm short. I might decide to cut off part of the screen, that depends on whether I can get some tools to do it neatly and not end up with a jagged top.

Nicely done! Mine's made from cardboard and duct tape.

I tape monster stat cards to the inside of mine, and I can fit 12 at a time. Much easier than having to flip through a book or use a tablet in my opinion, but your mileage may vary.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-07-23, 07:03 AM
I have one game I play with some friends with discord, a theater of the mind game.
Each one of us roll in his house and write in chat the roll.

We added a bot for big rolles(like 12d8) so it wont take long to do big stuff.

It like everyone have screens.

Tawmis
2019-07-24, 12:10 AM
Do you use one?
Personally I have never used mine, Always feel that is only there in order to hide rolls from players and allow the Gm to cheat. Only other use is on the tables on the Gm side, but a good notebook and pc on hand is just as good for that.

I use one. Not only does it help when I am flipping through the monster manual (so the party can't see what I am looking at), but I also hide my massive notebook behind it, and often times, when they encounter a random NPC and get to talking to them (for which I have no info, it was just some guy on a street people!), and discover the NPCs name (that I am making up on the spot), I jot it down casually in my notebook, as if it were all planned and I wasn't making it up. Also, from time to time, if they're going through a dungeon or sneaking through a castle, I will ask one of them to make a skill check of some kind, "Hey, Dul'gar - make a perception check for me!" They roll, then I roll my D20 - for no real reason, and when I don't say anything, suddenly the entire party is on edge thinking something's up... It's GREAT way to get them focused) :smallwink:

KaussH
2019-07-24, 12:33 AM
Mine is more on its side box, but i use a gm screen of some kind in most games. I keep notes there, stage figures back there , ect.

I just dont get the "gm uses it to cheat" vibe. Gms dont need to fudge a roll to cheat, we run all the npcs and weather and setting details. I could have people roll saves vs falling stars, or have random beggers be 16th level assassins who just jump charicters. Its silly, but my point is, unless you have all my notes, documents and mind reading, i can " cheat" with or without a gm screen.

Copper_Dragon
2019-07-24, 12:35 AM
I haven't ran an in person game yet but I'd feel like I'd want one just to build up that sense of mystery and keep notes/ minis hidden. I do however find an online GM screen very useful when I DM, my girlfriend found one on Trello and it's been a big help for quick reference.

If anyone is interested: https://trello.com/b/D4PCtl95/dm-screen-5e-public

Definitely plan on using that resource in the future. Instant bookmark.

Personally, I use one all the time. I aim to build trust with people I interact with. If they think I'm cheating, that's more a problem with our relationship than with the DM screen. The same is true for DMs whose games I play in. If I think the DM is cheating, that's a trust issue, not a screen issue.

As a player, I have accidentally seen a DM's notes. It definitely puts you in an awkward position and ruins some of the fun. I prefer it when DMs use screens.

Luccan
2019-07-24, 12:58 AM
Not exactly. My notes are on my computer and my group is small, so I just sit somewhere they won't be able to see the screen. OTOH, this makes it hard to roll openly. But I'm not necessarily against that, I'm just not particularly for it either. If a player needed to know a roll for an ability or spell I'd share it, but so far that hasn't been an issue.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-07-24, 01:22 AM
Kind of.... I absolutely hate the large dm screens that most people use because I don't feel like I can read the players when a decent portion of their body is hidden. So I took a piece of XPS foam, cut it about 24"x 4"x1" And have a few grooves cut into it for small Initiative cheat sheets that track initiative and provide me with the players AC, save DC, Character name and their Max HP. It cuts a ton of back and forth off my monster turns when I can roll a bunch of dice and then move immediately into describing what happens. (For any players with shield or the like, they know to let me know when they want to use it. I.E. I'll shield if I can or not when the enemy turn comes up.)

NaughtyTiger
2019-07-24, 10:13 AM
I have a 1/2 height DM screen, to hide my notes/monster stats, hold the initiative cards, and hide "secret" rolls.

Waterdeep Merch
2019-07-24, 11:40 AM
I used the books propped up back in the old days. Then I used a laptop, mostly in the same way. These days I use proper DM screens.

Also a custom side table with a book sorter and paper pad. And a second side table for holding books that I'm not using, but could come up. And a homemade felt-lined wooden chest for keeping my rolls both hidden and contained. And sometimes I bring out my second DM screen when I know I'm going to be using additional tools like cards and my notes are about to take up 1/4 of the table.

Also I have a nice drink holder that my roommate gets very angry at me for not using. She's going to kill me over a poorly placed wine glass one of these days.

Knaight
2019-07-24, 04:51 PM
How else is a DM going to hide his notes?

Handwriting quality. My players could read them if they tried, sure, but accidentally across a table? Not unless I'm trying for borderline calligraphy. That's before getting into the questions of shorthand, mnemonics that are far from information complete, notes for stuff that happened in game that the players know about anyways, etc.