PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Marvel d20?

Dark_Ansem
2019-07-23, 04:28 AM
besides Dicefreaks which featured some custom rules, has there been any successful conversion of Marvel characters to 3.5?

Psychoalpha
2019-07-23, 01:28 PM
Probably not since there's stuff like Mutants and Masterminds for super hero D20 games that would work much better.

Malphegor
2019-07-24, 04:11 AM
Straight up using 3.5 I've been working on a few marvel characters.

Hulk

is straight up a Human Stoneblessed (Goliath) Barbarian/War Hulk/Hulking Hurler, with the abilities reflavoured as being from gamma radiation rather than being adopted by giant-descendants.

Spider-Man.

I was thinking a Scout17/Urban Ranger3, with the swift hunter feat somewhere in there to keep the skirmish damage up.

Gear to make literally any character a spider-man though:

Skin of the spider (MIC)- 79,080gp
The description is literally Spider-man's outfit. Lets you walk on webs slowly, shoot a psionic web attack, and also walk on unstable surfaces. surprisingly not wallclimbing though.

Boots of Striding and Springing (I think DMG)-5500gp
For a scout, anything that boosts landspeed is good. Plus it was either this or boots of haste.

Cloak of Arachnidia (DMG)- 14000gp
spiderclimb and immunity to web effects. Honestly, I'd probably describe this as the Spider-Man Unlimited web-cape, since it's one of the few times Spider-Man's had a cloak slot item.

Wands as webshooters works out well. I forget what books everything's from. My prices might be incorrect on the wands/dorjes tbh.

300gp Wand Bracer-, can store 5 wands in each one. (web shooters!) (these are non-magical and thus can be enhanced as bracers!) Might also let you store rods in it.

100gp each Wand Chamber- as Wand Bracer but in a armour. Including the bracer itself.

3000gp Dorje of Entangling Ectoplasm- psionic wand (level 1) ranged touch attack to entangle people, lasts 5 rounds. Standard Action

6000gp Wand of Web (lv2 spread, entangles people towards solid surfaces. Any fire in it deals 2d4 damage to people entangled, but burns away the webs early)

4000gp Rod of Ropes- (I think this was from Complete Scoundrel, intended as a Bat-man grappling hook tbh) 300ft grappling hook. Can do a bull rush attack within 20ft, and it retracts quickly to let us zip about. Ideally we want 2 of these. Using these in combat might be a bit awkward mechanically, which is why I'd suggest an unarmed scout build for spider-man, so you can then justify swing-by kicks. I *think* this can go in the Wand Bracer, but if not just get a magic belt or something to store it in when not in use.

There's a couple of level 4 spells that shoot a line/fire a web to stop fliers that's worth having, but I can't remember their names, and I wanted to keep it to level 1/2 spell wands.

So yeah, in stock standard WOTC D&D you can have the standard 616 Spider-Man costume and Ben Reily's webshooters, more or less. That's fun.

Urban Ranger would mainly be used for bonuses against organisations.

main note I'll have on webshooters is that there's no way for our scout/urban ranger to build them himself, so you're dependant on spellcasters and clever artificers building them to your designs. So not 100% a Spider-Man thing. There's probably some way to squeeze in an artificer level or a few in here somewhere though.

As they're low level, it might be worth having them as Eternal Wands (MIC, wondrous item), which have fewer charges, but recharge each day. That'd let our spider-man not need to constantly buy new wands for 'web fluid'.

Others (Misc)
For Captain America and to be honest, Thor, Bloodstorm Blade would be involved. Cap mainly, for frisbee action. Thor arguably has returning and shock burst enhancements on Mjolnir/Stormbreaker (as well as being runically marked to give access to the bifrost planeshift+teleport I suppose?), but if one wanted to build a budget Thor, I'd go Bloodstorm Blade to not need returning and also give some fun tricks with the hammer. maneuvers and maybe a level in marshal would fit Captain America pretty well tbh. In the comics his whole deal was usually clever usages of combat techniques more than brute strength.

So yeah. Tome of Battle- not just for anime martial arts, super soldiers use it too

(on Thor, it'd be neat to have him have lighting powers innately seperate to his hammer. Stormlord would fit (obviously change the deity requirement to Thor himself), and change all mention of 'spears and javelins' to hammers and axes.

Vision is probably a psion warforged, but I'm not too familiar with psionics to really say. Has probably got the most absurd psicrystal in psicrystals though.

Thanos, probably just a high int low wis fighter, able to take on the hulk so maybe mine Tome of Battle to take on the aforementioned barbarian.

The Infinity gauntlet feels like that Aeon enhancement from starfinder, not sure if there's a 3.5 equivalent- gauntlet that you can slot ioun stones or something of similar size into, designed for these rare macguffin ioun stones?

Iron Man

Engineer:
Yes, sir, and that's what we're trying to do, but... honestly, it's impossible -

Stane:
[yelling] TONY STARK WAS ABLE TO BUILD THIS IN A CAVE! WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!

Engineer:
Well, I'm sorry. I'm not Tony Stark.

My first thought is Artificer 1-20. 9 crafting feats as class features. Plus Craft construct as a bonus feat.

Ideally you want something like a Caster Glove or a Wand Bracer in your gauntlets to fire off a ray spell.

Double Wand Wielder feat is a must if you're doing that.

I've heard things about people doing Iron Man as a Psion, but to be honest I'm convinced psions fit Vision better.