PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with creating/balancing a Bloodhunter Special Weapon

ivoze
2019-07-23, 11:14 AM
(Just a heads up, this is my first ever thread post. I apologize if i dont write or use some sort of commonly accepted format.)

Hello everyone, i would like some advice and/or ideas for some sort of weapon for a Bloodhunter (Mutagen). This is during a 5e game, running Tomb of Annihilation My character is going down the dual wielding route, so i thought it might be a cool idea for members of my order to carry some sort of special weapon (think Geralts Silver Sword from the Witcher game and book series). Think of it closer to a tool than a weapon. I will be using this weapon in the off hand and plan to stick with this weapon pretty much indefinetly or until my PC dies. Again, since this is an off hand weapon, i dont care much about damage, as long as it does something interesting involving slaying or hunting monsters. But since this weapon will stay with me until lvl 20 it has to have some sort of viability later on. I have come up with some ideas, but i am unsure if it is balanced or not. Any and all help/opinions is well appreciated!

Monster Slayer Sword (placeholder name):

-Needs to be an off hand secondary weapon.
-Preferably a Longsword, could be scaled down to a shortsword or even a dagger, for balance
-Needs to be somewhat viable for the entire playthrough.
-Doesnt have to do a lot of damage, as long as it provides something useful.

Power Ideas so far (these are NOT all the powers of the weapon! Only some or none at all might be picked for the final version.):

-Ability to cast Detect Magic and/or Remove Curse once per short/long rest?

-Possibly considered a +1,+2, or +3 weapon to Monsters, but is otherwise mundane vs humanoids that can be reasoned with? I like the idea that the order my character represents doesnt just cull every monster on sight, but only takes care of monsters that are problematic for coexistence. This weapon wasnt made for mindless slaughter, its just a tool.

Gives Advantage(Survival Check), and maximizes loot, skinned from monster corpses? Monster Hunters would need to be quite resourceful in the wild. Relying heavily on hunting for food, raw crafting materials and such. I am indeed role playing needing materials for crafting Mutagen Formula Potions.

Pommel Wire Mechanics. (An idea ive been playing with for a while. Might be worth considering?)

-The pommel of the weapon detaches, being still held by a steel wire to the handle. The wire is concealed in the hollow handle. The wire is also enchanted to be durable, being able to support the same weight as normal rope, and is almost unbreakable by nonmagical means.

-As a reaction, can be thrown to an enemy within 30 feet, make a contested strength check, the target falls prone on a fail. Can only be used on Large or lower targets.
When this is used, on your turn you have to spend a bonus action to retract the wire, or all attacks are made with disadvantage and movement is halved.(You cant move and fight around with a rope constantly in the way!)

-As an action, you can extend the wire and wrap it around a target within 10f of you to attempt to grapple them. If the target is within 5 feet, The grapple check is made with advantage. Whenever the grapple is ended, either by choice or by force, you must spend a bonus action to retract the wire, otherwise all attacks are made with disadvantage and movement is halved.(Same explanation as above.)

-You can treat the steel wire as a 30-35f rope and the pommel as a grapling hook.(More of an out of combat utility use. Gives alot of versitility and hey, rope is very useful to have in any situation!)

Thank you for your time, and sorry for any mistakes!

Dork_Forge
2019-07-23, 08:47 PM
(Just a heads up, this is my first ever thread post. I apologize if i dont write or use some sort of commonly accepted format.)

Hello everyone, i would like some advice and/or ideas for some sort of weapon for a Bloodhunter (Mutagen). This is during a 5e game, running Tomb of Annihilation My character is going down the dual wielding route, so i thought it might be a cool idea for members of my order to carry some sort of special weapon (think Geralts Silver Sword from the Witcher game and book series). Think of it closer to a tool than a weapon. I will be using this weapon in the off hand and plan to stick with this weapon pretty much indefinetly or until my PC dies. Again, since this is an off hand weapon, i dont care much about damage, as long as it does something interesting involving slaying or hunting monsters. But since this weapon will stay with me until lvl 20 it has to have some sort of viability later on. I have come up with some ideas, but i am unsure if it is balanced or not. Any and all help/opinions is well appreciated!

Monster Slayer Sword (placeholder name):

-Needs to be an off hand secondary weapon.
-Preferably a Longsword, could be scaled down to a shortsword or even a dagger, for balance
-Needs to be somewhat viable for the entire playthrough.
-Doesnt have to do a lot of damage, as long as it provides something useful.

Power Ideas so far (these are NOT all the powers of the weapon! Only some or none at all might be picked for the final version.):

-Ability to cast Detect Magic and/or Remove Curse once per short/long rest?

-Possibly considered a +1,+2, or +3 weapon to Monsters, but is otherwise mundane vs humanoids that can be reasoned with? I like the idea that the order my character represents doesnt just cull every monster on sight, but only takes care of monsters that are problematic for coexistence. This weapon wasnt made for mindless slaughter, its just a tool.

Gives Advantage(Survival Check), and maximizes loot, skinned from monster corpses? Monster Hunters would need to be quite resourceful in the wild. Relying heavily on hunting for food, raw crafting materials and such. I am indeed role playing needing materials for crafting Mutagen Formula Potions.

Pommel Wire Mechanics. (An idea ive been playing with for a while. Might be worth considering?)

-The pommel of the weapon detaches, being still held by a steel wire to the handle. The wire is concealed in the hollow handle. The wire is also enchanted to be durable, being able to support the same weight as normal rope, and is almost unbreakable by nonmagical means.

-As a reaction, can be thrown to an enemy within 30 feet, make a contested strength check, the target falls prone on a fail. Can only be used on Large or lower targets.
When this is used, on your turn you have to spend a bonus action to retract the wire, or all attacks are made with disadvantage and movement is halved.(You cant move and fight around with a rope constantly in the way!)

-As an action, you can extend the wire and wrap it around a target within 10f of you to attempt to grapple them. If the target is within 5 feet, The grapple check is made with advantage. Whenever the grapple is ended, either by choice or by force, you must spend a bonus action to retract the wire, otherwise all attacks are made with disadvantage and movement is halved.(Same explanation as above.)

-You can treat the steel wire as a 30-35f rope and the pommel as a grapling hook.(More of an out of combat utility use. Gives alot of versitility and hey, rope is very useful to have in any situation!)

Thank you for your time, and sorry for any mistakes!

In 5e you just need to bear in mind that if you want it to be an offhand weapon then it needs to be a light weapon (like a short sword instead of a longsword) unless you have the dual wielder feat.

As for a weapon I'd go for something like this: Silvered and +1 with a special ability something to the effect of:

Alchemical Surge: You twist the handle of the sword driving needles into your palm (a mutagen vial is stored inside the handle), when you activate this ability (no action required) make one additional bonus action attack with the sword. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to your constitution modifier.

An additional chance to hit lets you take advantage of your Rite damage more and the tying to consitution makes thematic sense (you're ingesting potions and chemicals after all) and can be increased by just investing in Con.