PDA

View Full Version : A better way of learning new spells (Wizards)

Aaedimus
2019-07-23, 05:35 PM
So the best thing about Wizards (in my opinion) is their adaptability. They can learn a while bunch of spells, and have something ready for every situation!

The crappy part of this is that in most games I've played your oportunities to learn new spells is extremely limited.

I feel that the fact that you can have only so many spells prepared removes most of the issues with having a large supository of knowledge (look at clerics and druids who don't need to "learn" their spells)

And so, I am proposing a new cariant optional rule and wondering what your opinion is!

Rule:

If you want to learn a spell and don't have a spellbook or scroll containing it, rather than spend 2 hours and 50 gp you can spend an entire long rest (you still get the benefits) and 100gp to research the new spell. Pass a DC 10+spell level intelligence check to learn and copy the spell into your spellbook. subtract 5 from the check for spells in your chosen arcane tradition.

This would help wizards grow their spell selection even when they aren't in proximity to other wizards or to an arcane library, and I think it's pretty fair!

The only issue would be that the DM can't restrict the spells you learn, but you can learn them when leveling up anyways, and if the DM doesn't want you to know a spell that should just be communicated.

Opinions?

Chrizzt
2019-07-23, 05:55 PM
I don't know how other groups handle this, but my DM requires, in addition to 2h and 50gp per spell level, also the opportunity to scribe a spell. E.g. from notes or (non-spell)scrolls, looted spell books or from a friendly wizard. So far I have not met a friendly wizard, but even if I would I guess I would have to pay an additional fee (less costly than a spellscroll though).

Point is: in games where you need also the opportunity to scribe spells into your book, the alternative method you propose seems too easy.

I love finding scrolls or spellbooks, seldom but still. Often they contain suboptimal spells or very basic ones, but they still feel like real treasure. In your system that feeling might get lost.

Evaar
2019-07-23, 06:29 PM
I feel that the fact that you can have only so many spells prepared removes most of the issues with having a large supository of knowledge (look at clerics and druids who don't need to "learn" their spells)

Just, uh, for future knowledge.

suppository
noun, plural sup·pos·i·to·ries.
1 a solid, conical mass of medicinal substance that melts upon insertion into the rectum or vagina.

repository
noun, plural re·pos·i·tor·ies.
1 a receptacle or place where things are deposited, stored, or offered for sale:
a repository for discarded clothing.
2 an abundant source or supply; storehouse:
a repository of information.

Not that I'm telling you how to play your wizard. It's your character.

Bobthewizard
2019-07-23, 06:51 PM
I don't think Wizards need any buffs, especially one that would get better at higher levels. They are in the middle on spell accessibility. They don't pick from all of the spells on their list like Clerics or Druids, but they get more flexibility than Sorcerers, Bards and Warlocks, who can only change their spells when they level up.

Callak_Remier
2019-07-23, 06:56 PM
Buy scrolls in your downtime, but also do yourself a favour and remind you DM that scrolls are expected loot. Continue to remind them.

Just went from lvls 1-11, found maybe 4-6 scrolls and a Spellbook ( killed the mage ) bought the rest.

I am broke but happy.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-07-23, 07:20 PM
I'm not opposed, but I think as it stands you're being a bit too generous. I'd increase the time required.

Coffee_Dragon
2019-07-23, 07:43 PM
Is this some sort of satire? Wizards need zero boosts, least of all new spells known at will.

Vogie
2019-07-23, 07:58 PM
I mean, taking a long period of time to learn new, shiny spells is literally how the wizards gain 2 new spells... each level. That way the poor wizards will hit 20 only knowing a measly 44 spells.

I remember Mike Mearls (https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/1093224763953041408) retweeting this blogpost (http://swordofmassdestruction.blogspot.com/2019/02/d22-escaped-spells.html) about incorporating "living spells" that can be "learned" by defeating them and catching them, Pokemon-style.

Sigreid
2019-07-24, 05:56 AM
I don't think it would necessarily be a problem, but honestly finding new spells is one of the prime motivators for my wizards. It's why they want to go into that ancient, monster infested ruin. It's why they want to talk to the king's wizard. It's why they go after that evil wizard with murderous intent.

That said, if you're playing a save the world campaign like has been so popular in the adventure paths, or you have a DM that too rarely lets you find the wizard's scrolls or books then I could see why you would want this.

RedMage125
2019-07-24, 12:28 PM
Just, uh, for future knowledge.

suppository
noun, plural sup·pos·i·to·ries.
1 a solid, conical mass of medicinal substance that melts upon insertion into the rectum or vagina.

repository
noun, plural re·pos·i·tor·ies.
1 a receptacle or place where things are deposited, stored, or offered for sale:
a repository for discarded clothing.
2 an abundant source or supply; storehouse:
a repository of information.

Not that I'm telling you how to play your wizard. It's your character.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Suppository of knowledge"

Man, if that was the only way to learn new spells, people would look at wizards in a whole new way.

Aaedimus
2019-07-24, 01:40 PM
So this definitely is different in different campaigns, but yeah, most compaigns I play in:

1.) You almost never see scrolls or spellbook drops,
2.) You don't really get a chance to do the research or buy scrolls or spellbooks.

That means that the Wizard's "learning spells" abiliey is pretty much worthless.

In the last 3 campaigns I've played (all different DMs), the Wizard didn't get to learn ANY extra spells. That means he's basically not much better than a weak Sorcerer with a few small buffs

I'm not saying this is a problem everywhere, only that it's worth finding something for the campaigns where it is a problem.

Dalebert
2019-07-24, 01:51 PM
supository of knowledge

Oh! New magic item idea!

BloodOgre
2019-07-24, 05:13 PM
In most of the campaigns I've played in, we have received spell scrolls as loot (although quite often, the spell scroll might have been necessary to complete a particular task, or at least made it easier, and thus would get consumed during the adventure). In the one campaign in which I played a wizard, the wizard had acquired five spell books (primarily through killing the owner). Sadly, they contained only the spells the deceased wizard in question had prepared, and there was some overlap. And I and another wizard that was in the campaign for a while had a chance to exchange some spells. By the time he was 8th level, I think that wizard knew over 60 spells, including about 75% of all the 1st and 2nd level spells in the PHB. He also had a few 5th level spell scrolls to learn from and some of the spell books contained 5th level spells. His ability to learn new spells was more limited by the coin needed to learn and transcribe spells than the availability of them.

Chrizzt
2019-07-24, 05:35 PM
His ability to learn new spells was more limited by the coin needed to learn and transcribe spells than the availability of them.

Yes, I have also underestimated this factor. Especially if you habe to buy scrolls. We are level 5, our whole group of 5 people has about 1000gp taken together.. and a level 2 spell scroll (as no one lets me learn from a spell book since the campaign startet about 8 sessions ago, so no mage guild or the like) would cost 300gp.. plus 100 for learning (inks etc)...

Its a rich mans world..

Also, our group is often under time constraints. And learning spells costs time.

SLOTHRPG95
2019-07-24, 06:30 PM
Yes, I have also underestimated this factor. Especially if you habe to buy scrolls. We are level 5, our whole group of 5 people has about 1000gp taken together.. and a level 2 spell scroll (as no one lets me learn from a spell book since the campaign startet about 8 sessions ago, so no mage guild or the like) would cost 300gp.. plus 100 for learning (inks etc)...

Its a rich mans world..

Also, our group is often under time constraints. And learning spells costs time.

This method can get expensive, but also the time taken is more spent tracking down scrolls than in copying their contents. The latter will never take more than eighteen hours, tops. Meanwhile, finding a rare, high-level spell scroll might take weeks or months of effort. If it exists at all.

Lunali
2019-07-24, 06:38 PM
Buy scrolls in your downtime, but also do yourself a favour and remind you DM that scrolls are expected loot. Continue to remind them.

Just went from lvls 1-11, found maybe 4-6 scrolls and a Spellbook ( killed the mage ) bought the rest.

I am broke but happy.

Alternatively, try to negotiate to pay for the access to the spell needed to copy it into your spellbook. This should be a bit cheaper than a scroll, especially if the spell requires any expensive components. Also, once you've gotten your DM to agree to it, you can make use of the idea to get spells for the ritual caster feat in future games.

Mercurias
2019-07-24, 07:25 PM
Honestly this is something I would bring up to the DM at the beginning of a campaign, because the answers can be subjective to the campaign and the character.

Right now I'm playing a level 9 Arcane Cleric. When I planned out my build, I found that I'd rolled well enough for stats to get an extra feat or ASI. Since its this DM's first campaign, I asked her if she'd *mind* my picking up Ritual Magic (Wizard) as well as discussed with her what that would mean I'd be able to do and how I could find additional spells along the way.

The DM said she'd leave some spells in the wild to be discovered, as well as make some available for purchase through scrolls or to be discovered in libraries or unsuspecting bookstores. Magic shops will also have paper for scribing spells due to the special qualities of the ink and paper used.