PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Sorceror Tweaks

Phhase
2019-07-23, 06:37 PM
Shadow Sorceror has always felt a bit underwhelming to me. It has a some odd mechanics that don't feel right to me, and seems a bit like a missed opportunity, so here's a revised version with more pizzazz (for me anyway).

Eyes of the Dark
From 1st level, you have darkvision with a range of 120 feet.

When you reach 3rd level in this class, you learn the Darkness spell, which doesn't count against your number of sorcerer spells known. In addition, you can cast it by spending 2 sorcery points or by expending a spell slot. If you cast it with sorcery points, you can see through the darkness created by the spell.

I have no issues with this. Seems good.

Strength of the Grave

Starting at 1st level, your existence in a twilight state between life and death makes you difficult to defeat. When damage reduces you to 0 hit points, you can make a Charisma saving throw (DC 5 + the damage taken). On a success, you instead drop to 1 hit point. You can't use this feature if you are reduced to 0 hit points by radiant damage or by a critical hit.
After the saving throw succeeds, you can't use this feature again until you finish a long rest.

Wait so is this an undead-themed subclass or a shadow-themed one? I know there's a little cross-contamination, but we have Undying warlock, Death cleric and necromany already. This feature doesn't make thematic sense to me. It belongs in Phoenix Sorcerer or maybe in some barbarian subclass. Instead, I propose:

Shaedstuff
Starting at 1st level, you can draw upon the semi-solid substance of the Plane of Shadow to infuse your spells. Whenever you cast a damaging cantrip, you can choose to substitute in shadow, causing the cantrip to appear black and streaming faint tendrils, dealing 1/2 cold and 1/2 bludgeoning damage instead of the normal damage type. At higher levels, you may pay Sorcery Points equal to the spell level - 1 to apply this effect to other spells.

Hound of Ill Omen
Shadow Walk
Who thought of this!? I get it, it's the accursed black dog of ill fortunes. But...why is a shadow sorcerer summoning a dog?? Am I a beastmaster now, or what? Instead, get Shadow Walk at 6th level and reduce its range to 80ft. If I can create magical darkness that I can see through, being able to reposition anywhere I can put that darkness is something I want pronto.

Shadow Walk
Splintering Shadow
I understand the desire for a summon but I cannot understand why if there is LITERALLY A CREATURE THAT IS A LIVING SHADOW that the SHADOW SORCERER would summon a DOG instead. Hence:

At 14th level, you may spend 3 sorcery points to draw living shadowmatter from the Plane of Shadow and form a servant. This creature uses the statistics for and resembles a Shadow, expect as follows:

Its alignment is Neutral
Its creature type is Elemental rather than Undead
Its speed is 30ft, but it has a fly speed of 20ft
Its touch attack deals split cold/bludgeoning damage rather than necrotic
Creatures slain by this servant do not rise as shadows themselves

This servant must appear in a space of dim light or darkness that you can see within 60ft. It rolls its own initiative and follows your commands. You may have up to two such servants at one time. The space they occupy counts as darkness for the purposes of Shadow Walk and Splintering Shadow. While you have servants summoned, you yourself cast no shadow.

Umbral Form

I like this feature, it's cool. Depending on how overloaded it would be, I wouldn't mind the following changes, though:

Vulnerability to Radiant and Force damage.
Fly speed equal to 1/2 your walk speed.
Creatures within 5 feet that strike you with a melee attack or touch you take cold damage equal to your Charisma modifier.

Anyways, thoughts?