PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Sorcerer's Flexible Casting

ZeroSpace9000
2019-07-23, 08:47 PM
I've got a player in my game, playing a sorcerer, saying that when using Flexible Casting, burning a spell slot gives SP equal to the cost listed in the Creating a Spell Slot table. IE: 2SP for burning a 1st lvl slot. A close reading strongly implies otherwise, Lvl 1 slot = 1SP.
Has there been anything from WotC clarifying this issue?

Trickery
2019-07-23, 08:49 PM
I've got a player in my game, playing a sorcerer, saying that when using Flexible Casting, burning a spell slot gives SP equal to the cost listed in the Creating a Spell Slot table. IE: 2SP for burning a 1st lvl slot. A close reading strongly implies otherwise, Lvl 1 slot = 1SP.
Has there been anything from WotC clarifying this issue?

It's the latter. Burning a slot creates spell points equal to the slot's level. That said, if you rule it the other way, your player will like the system better and it probably won't meaningfully impact the game.

ZeroSpace9000
2019-07-23, 08:51 PM
Any chance of an official quote/ruling to that effect? I've googled it, and the only thing I'm finding is duration on the 'flexible' slots.

... It's until a long rest is taken, BTW.

JNAProductions
2019-07-23, 08:52 PM
It’s clear enough that the devs felt no need to make a clarification.

Daghoulish
2019-07-23, 08:57 PM
Just to help you, after the table for creating spells slots in the flexible casting section is this sentence.

As a bonus action on your turn, you can expend one spell slot and gain a number of sorcery points equal to the slot's level.

ZeroSpace9000
2019-07-23, 09:01 PM
Well, it's been resolved within my group. The sorc even found something on WotC's page, specifically to do with homebrewing for the Sorcerer. It does in fact say that repeated conversion loses you overall spell slots, at the benefit of upscaling.

So with that, I'm gonna close the thread. *casts Block Thread Necromancy*

Trickery
2019-07-23, 09:03 PM
Well, it's been resolved within my group. The sorc even found something on WotC's page, specifically to do with homebrewing for the Sorcerer. It does in fact say that repeated conversion loses you overall spell slots, at the benefit of upscaling.

So with that, I'm gonna close the thread. *casts Block Thread Necromancy*

Counterspelled