PDA

View Full Version : Strait or Multi-class Fighter Scout Archer ??

Nosta
2019-07-23, 08:47 PM
I am planning a new build and so I need Advice

I am thinking Fighter scout and am unsure if i should go strait Fighter or mutil class after level 5 or 6

and I was was wondering if Wood elf for its bonuses would be better than variant human for its feat?

I feel more like playing an elf but am unsure if its worth not getting something like sharpshooter

Nhorianscum
2019-07-24, 09:22 AM

I am thinking Fighter scout and am unsure if i should go strait Fighter or mutil class after level 5 or 6

and I was was wondering if Wood elf for its bonuses would be better than variant human for its feat?

I feel more like playing an elf but am unsure if its worth not getting something like sharpshooter

Don't multi outside of maybe a 1 level dip until after fighter 11 if your campain will make it that far.

Past that go crazy with multi's if you like.

Keravath
2019-07-24, 11:07 AM
For an archer build, variant human is good to pick up Xbow expert or Sharpshooter early. For example, a VHuman straight battlemaster fighter can have Xbow expert, sharpshooter and maxed Dex by level 8 along with the archery fighting style which are probably the key elements you are looking for in an archer build. They would be armed with a hand crossbow (within 120' and bonus action extra attack) and a long bow (or heavy crossbow) for long range.

Spiritchaser
2019-07-24, 11:27 AM
Are you focusing more on archery (sharpshooter!) or the exploration/skill options that a scout fighter has?

Edit: ultimately you get both but if you want more skills (from rogue) then you’ll delay some things. If you want wood elf magic for guidance and Pwt then sharpshooter has to wait... etc.

Vogie
2019-07-24, 12:16 PM
If you're a Scout Fighter, the are tons of reasons to pick up the Martial Adept feat, increasing your maneuvers by 2 and superiority dice by 1.

I'd highly suggest grabbing Crossbow Expert Early, as it'll allow you bonus action attacks when you're using only a single hand crossbow as your main weapon. It'll also unlock the ability to use heavy crossbows with Extra Attack as you get higher up in levels and number of attacks.

If your stats will allow it, picking up 5 levels of Hexblade Warlock (Blade) would be fascinating. Being able to always have a +1 weapon on hand, a new maneuver (ranged Knockdown) via Eldritch Smite, expanded crit range, and invocation-based utility of your choice (Darkness/Devil's Sight combo, Illusory cover/concealment and misdirection Shenanigans via Misty Visions, Free THP via Fiendish Vigor, Free +1 Studded Leather, Free invisibility with One with Shadows, et cetera). On top of all that, both your spell slots and superiority dice refresh on short rest.

I probably wouldn't do this until you've gotten your stats to the ideal level, so potentially after the ASI at 8th or 12th level.

djreynolds
2019-07-25, 12:20 PM

I am actually playing a scout fighter now, I took Vhuman and sharpshooter, I'm 4th level now and evened up dex and con. I plan on taking scout to 6th level and I might grab cleric at 7th as my wisdom is 13, really for the bless spell and healing, or I might grab some rogue.

I gotta be honest, I have rarely used sharpshooter. The dice at lower levels are very swingy and I use precision just to land basic attacks. I have only used SS when I have had advantage on 3 occasions.

So, with the benefit of hindsight and no cleric spamming the bless spell, I would go wood elf and get darkvision and grab SS at 4th or 6th level.

From 1st-3rd level I had a +5 to attack, I had to use the scout's precision maneuver to just ensure no misses.

Go elf, grab sharpshooter at 6th