PDA

View Full Version : Making Bayonetta part 2: guns as melee weapons

Noxangelo
2019-07-24, 07:40 AM
Part 2 of making a Bayonetta-esque charater.

Bayonetta's guns are one of the many iconic elements of her character. Where she will pistol whip you then immediately shoot you.

I want to try and replicate that in game but in a single attack, not just using point blank shot and a hand crossbow with a bayonet and alternating melee and ranged attacks. Some ideas I've had are:

- hand crossbow with wand chamber and wandstrike feat
- Eilservs School feat and a custom staff made to look like two guns, both ends enhanced with whatever you want, give it an unlimited use spell to trigger so you don't eat into the bonus damage
- hand crossbows with bayonets, animated, possessed or haunting presence with instructions to fire when an attack is made with the bayonet.

What do you guys think?
Can you come come up with anything better/broken?

DrMotives
2019-07-24, 07:45 AM
Why would you use hand crossbows with bayonettes fluffed as guns instead of, you know, guns? Those are statted out in the core books. Also, they do have stats for melee because of pistol whipping.

Noxangelo
2019-07-24, 08:05 AM
I use crossbows out of habit many. Most settings don't have many black powder weapons. Also the fluff text of the reloading enhancements doesn't fit with black powder weapons very well.

Where are the rules for pistol whipping btw?

The Viscount
2019-07-24, 11:32 AM
Be sure to nab Versatile Combatant from Drow of the Underdark so you don't provoke when firing your crossbow.
Are you doing any spellcasting with this? Spell channeling like with Duskblade might be helpful.

tiercel
2019-07-24, 11:52 AM
Mechanically, the swordbow (and its variants, MIC) is along these lines, albeit alternating-in-same-round and not truly simultaneous : “You can interchange bow and sword attacks as part of the same full attack action.”. You might have to get a little fancy with your refluffing to make it more gun-fu, but....

Another thread to keep an eye on would be the RWBY-weapon discussion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?593471-3-P-RWBY-esque-Custom-Weapons!), since that series prominently features “melee weapon is also a gun.”

The Viscount
2019-07-24, 07:02 PM
Two Weapon fighting might also be helpful to you to shoot with one and stab with the other.

Zaq
2019-07-24, 10:36 PM
Maybe look at the “spikard” weapons in Eberron? I forget which book, but I think it might be Magic of Eberron.

Vizzerdrix
2019-07-25, 04:49 AM
Maybe look at the “spikard” weapons in Eberron? I forget which book, but I think it might be Magic of Eberron.

Yes, but they don`t shoot, just discharge directly into a melee opponent.

Noxangelo
2019-07-25, 09:52 AM
The spikard is from magic of eberron, and thanks, they are fantastic :)

The spear spikard painfully close, a wand chamber with your ranged spell of choice will solve the melee only drawback and if you throw in the double wand wielder feat, it fits the bill perfectly. As a short spear, you can dual wield them, and a small spear spikard is statistically identical to a bladed hand crossbow, you could probably talk a lenient DM letting it fly.