PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way of the SkillMONKey [PEACH]

Amechra
2019-07-24, 10:07 AM
Way of the Scholar
Through honing your mind and body, you have developed mastery of most humanoid endeavors.

3 :- Ki Scholarship
You learn two additional languages of your choice and gain proficiency in two skills or tools of your choice. In addition, choose two skills or tools in which you have proficiency. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with those skills or tools.

3 :- Sage Teacher
You may spend 1 ki point to use the Help action as a bonus action.

6 :- Teach By Example
When you take the Help action to aid another creature’s ability check, that creature may use your Wisdom modifier in place of their own ability modifier for that check. If you use it to aid another creature's attack, you may make a single unarmed attack against the target as part of that action.

11 :- Internal Mastery
Choose two skills or tools in which you have proficiency. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with those skills or tools. Whenever you fail an ability check you are proficient in, you may spend 1 ki point as your reaction to reroll that ability check.

17 :- Supreme Excellence
Whenever you meditate to regain ki points, choose a skill or tool. Until the end of your next short or long rest, you are proficient with that skill, and your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with that skill or tool.

---

Supreme Excellence might be too good, even at 3 ki points...

EDIT (27-07-19): Supreme Excellence has gone from being "3 ki for proficiency and expertise on a roll" to "2 ki for a broader version of Indomitable Might".
EDIT (29-07-19): Supreme Excellence is now a floating Expertise pick.

JNAProductions
2019-07-24, 10:21 AM
Seems fine to me, for the most part.

I'm iffy on Supreme Excellence, though, as you are too. The issue is, for a combat-heavy day, it won't see much use. But on a social- or other-heavy day... Five or six uses of "Hey, I'm an Expert!" per short rest is quite possibly EVERY skill check.

In addition, not sure if this was intended, but Supreme Excellence can be used on Initiative Checks.

Amechra
2019-07-27, 04:06 PM
Seems fine to me, for the most part.

I'm iffy on Supreme Excellence, though, as you are too. The issue is, for a combat-heavy day, it won't see much use. But on a social- or other-heavy day... Five or six uses of "Hey, I'm an Expert!" per short rest is quite possibly EVERY skill check.

In addition, not sure if this was intended, but Supreme Excellence can be used on Initiative Checks.

All of these are fair points - I will say that Supreme Excellence being used on initiative checks was intended. I put up a new version of Supreme Excellence, which I hope I costed properly.

JNAProductions
2019-07-27, 05:10 PM
That feels even more powerful.

A lot of DCs will be 20 or less, unless the DM specifically jacks up the difficulty for you.

Amechra
2019-07-28, 11:19 PM
That feels even more powerful.

A lot of DCs will be 20 or less, unless the DM specifically jacks up the difficulty for you.

True.

Alright, I'm trying out another alternative - just handing out a floating Expertise pick. That way, you can meditate to be your party's expert on cooking or sailing or whatever.

JNAProductions
2019-07-29, 10:16 AM
True.

Alright, I'm trying out another alternative - just handing out a floating Expertise pick. That way, you can meditate to be your party's expert on cooking or sailing or whatever.

Feels fine to me.