PDA

View Full Version : Elven Accuracy for mid-late game spellcasters

YoFizz
2019-07-24, 01:39 PM
I've looked a lot at this feat and it had done wonders for halfc asters like my hexblade. But I was wondering what it could do for a full caster? As you get gain higher spell levels, everything seems to need a save. I like rolling dice, so I'm curious about this anyway but what are some good high level spells that require an attack roll? And is this feat best left to melee classes or is there something I'm missing for casters once they get to tier 2?

LudicSavant
2019-07-24, 01:51 PM
I've looked a lot at this feat and it had done wonders for halfc asters like my hexblade. But I was wondering what it could do for a full caster? As you get gain higher spell levels, everything seems to need a save. I like rolling dice, so I'm curious about this anyway but what are some good high level spells that require an attack roll? And is this feat best left to melee classes or is there something I'm missing for casters once they get to tier 2?

Spells that use attack rolls:

Plane Shift
Crown of Stars
Bigby's Hand
Storm Sphere
Steel Wind Strike
Contagion
Spiritual Weapon
Scorching Ray
Inflict Wounds
Shocking Grasp
Ray of Frost
Booming Blade
Fire Bolt
Eldritch Blast
Wrath of Nature
Wall of Light
Dispel Evil and Good
Vampiric Touch
Ray of Enfeeblement
Melf's Acid Arrow
Flame Blade
Ray of Sickness
Ice Knife
Guiding Bolt
Chromatic Orb
Chaos Bolt
Thorn Whip
Produce Flame
Primal Savagery
Magic Stone
Green-Flame Blade
Chill Touch
Mordenkainen's Sword
Witch Bolt

Dalebert
2019-07-25, 09:00 AM
I look at two criteria to be met before I'd consider this feat.
1) You're going to be making attack rolls frequently. (Not most full casters.)
2) You have (and intend to use) one or more means of gaining adv frequently.
Ex: Cunning action hide, Greater Invisibility, darkness+devil's sight, etc.

I took it on one caster so far--my shadow sorcerer who can see through his own darkness and a dip in hexblade for Eldritch blast with agonizing (+Cha bonus) invocation. EB is therefore worth frequent casting for the high dps, and often quickening.

GM_3826
2019-07-25, 10:21 AM
I agree with Dalebert on his criteria for effective use of the feat, but I'm of the opinion that you don't necessarily need to generate that advantage yourself, provided your party is good at generating advantage for you and is willing to invest resources in doing so.

Trickery
2019-07-25, 10:25 AM
I agree with Dalebert on his criteria for effective use of the feat, but I'm of the opinion that you don't necessarily need to generate that advantage yourself, provided your party is good at generating advantage for you and is willing to invest resources in doing so.

That's true. There are also surprise rounds to consider. For example, a Chain-pact Warlock with an imp might get a lot of mileage out of the feat by first scouting a fight using their invisible imp and then opening with Eldritch Blast. Most DMs will rule that attacking a target who is unaware of you grants advantage, I think.

LudicSavant
2019-07-25, 10:27 AM
That's true. There are also surprise rounds to consider. For example, a Chain-pact Warlock with an imp might get a lot of mileage out of the feat by first scouting a fight using their invisible imp and then opening with Eldritch Blast. Most DMs will rule that attacking a target who is unaware of you grants advantage, I think.

Eldritch Blast would only get Advantage on the first attack from being hidden, rather than every ray.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/SA-Compendium.pdf
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/07/09/parallel-attacks-or-sequence/

Trickery
2019-07-25, 10:34 AM
Eldritch Blast would only get Advantage on the first attack from being hidden, rather than every ray.

https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/SA-Compendium.pdf
https://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/07/09/parallel-attacks-or-sequence/

Making an attack from a hidden location makes you no longer hidden, but it doesn't mean that the enemy can see you. It only means that they know where you are.

I really hope this doesn't turn into a debate over hidden vs not hidden vs seen vs surprised vs DM rulings, etc. I don't want to derail this thread.

LudicSavant
2019-07-25, 10:43 AM
Making an attack from a hidden location makes you no longer hidden, but it doesn't mean that the enemy can see you.

Sure, if you're heavily obscured or something.

Talsin
2019-07-25, 11:37 AM
Sure, if you're heavily obscured or something.

So then invisibility really doesn't do much on it's own then huh?

MrStabby
2019-07-25, 11:44 AM

I imagine that is covered by the "or something"

My one (small) concern is that a common form of advantage is the prone condition but most spells are ranged attacks. It does narrow down the options just a little bit.

LudicSavant
2019-07-25, 11:52 AM

:smallconfused:

I imagine that is covered by the "or something"

Indeed.

And is this feat best left to melee classes or is there something I'm missing for casters once they get to tier 2?

It's a solid half-feat for casters, as long as you're boosting an odd-numbered stat that you need. You don't really need to be getting use out of it all the time for it to be worth it, same as other half-feats.

It can boost any mental stat, so you're basically comparing it to Resilient (you'll usually already have proficiency in your main casting stat's save), Observant, Actor, Keen Mind, or a smattering of race-restricted options.