PDA

View Full Version : Player Help A Blind character?

Voidstar01
2019-07-24, 02:32 PM
What feats/class/race can I use to make this not miserable? I can get blindsense at level 6 with a human who took the draconic senses feat. preferably an at least partially martial character, im going for a daredevil type feel, but i'll accept anything.

A.A.King
2019-07-24, 02:37 PM
What level are you going to start play at and what sources are available?

Kalkra
2019-07-24, 02:39 PM
A permanent item of Embrace the Wild would cost 3000 gp, I believe. Depending on your circumstances, 1800 gp for an at-will item could be just as good.

MisterKaws
2019-07-24, 02:40 PM
If you have enough money, Blindfold of True Darkness fixes all your problems.

Voidstar01
2019-07-24, 02:48 PM
What level are you going to start play at and what sources are available?

This is theoretical right now so assume I have access to all sources, as for level lets say 10

A.A.King
2019-07-24, 03:29 PM
Okay, well as mentioned already, one option is simply to buy the Blindfold of True Darkness from the MIC. It costs 9000 GP but it gives you blindsight for 30 feet in exchange for taking away your ability to see (no spot checks while wearing the item).

If you want to be a blind melee character that doesn't rely on items it will be a bit trickier. You see, blind sense is relatively easy to pick-up but simply being able to pin point your opponent isn't enough. Blind sense only tells you in what scare your opponent is, you still suffer the 50% miss chance from the fact that your opponent is 'invisible' to you. Only way to not suffer that 50% miss chance is to get some for of Blindsight. The only way I can think of doing that before level 10 is with the "Blindsight, 5-foot Radius (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#blindsight5FtRadius)" feat. It requires the Blind-Fight feat as a prerequiste, BAB +4 and 19 in Wisdom so you'll want to have a character with a high wisdom focus.

Swordsage 9 with the Intuitve Attack feat (as well as of course the Blind-Fight and Blindsight, 5ft radius feet mentioned earlier). Intuitive Attack is an Exalted feat from Book of Exalted deeds so it requires you to be more than good, but to gives you Wisdom to Attack with simple weapons. Swordsage itself gives you Wisdom to AC in Light armor and the Disiciple Focus (Insightful Strike) ability that gives you Wisdom to damage whenever you execute a strike from your chose disciple. Finally, at Level 9 the swordsage gets one 5th level stance which should be "Hearing the Air" which gives you Blindsense out to 30 feet. So while you're in this stance you know exactly who is within 30 feet from you and thanks to "Blindsight, 5ft Radius" you can attack them without miss chance once they are within melee range.

MisterKaws
2019-07-24, 03:53 PM
Oh, yeah. At level 12 you can get Combat Awareness, which is the 3.5-legal version of 5ft Blindsight.

Also, a Swordsage 5/Shadow Sun Ninja 5 can ignore miss chance against blinded foes as long as you're also blind, and has an ability that lets you blind foes for a short time. If you can find more ways to blind foes, this class can solve your problems.

A.A.King
2019-07-24, 03:57 PM
Oh, yeah. At level 12 you can get Combat Awareness, which is the 3.5-legal version of 5ft Blindsight.

Blindsight 5ft is on the SRD (I even linked it), it doesn't really get more 3.5 legal than that

MisterKaws
2019-07-24, 04:47 PM
Blindsight 5ft is on the SRD (I even linked it), it doesn't really get more 3.5 legal than that

It is in the SRD under Divine Abilities and Feats, and not at all updated to 3.5. It's just there because Deities and Demigods became OGL material.

A.A.King
2019-07-24, 05:29 PM
It is in the SRD under Divine Abilities and Feats, and not at all updated to 3.5. It's just there because Deities and Demigods became OGL material.

Being on the SRD should be considered it's 3.5 update. It has no 3.0 specific language in it, so I see no reason other than it's obscure location to have a problem with it. But also, the location also has the Extra Music feat, to name just one clearly non-godly feat. The section is poorly named, don't take it out on the feats contained within. It is hardly an unbalanced feat afterall.

MisterKaws
2019-07-24, 06:05 PM
Being on the SRD should be considered it's 3.5 update. It has no 3.0 specific language in it, so I see no reason other than it's obscure location to have a problem with it. But also, the location also has the Extra Music feat, to name just one clearly non-godly feat. The section is poorly named, don't take it out on the feats contained within. It is hardly an unbalanced feat afterall.

The problem with that being that the same SRD also lists the Epic Druid as having the 3.0 version of Animal Companion, among other egregious update issues. No, the online SRD is not the actual SRD. The online SRD takes a bunch of stuff from erratas to make a patchwork of rules that is a bit more usable.

Elkad
2019-07-24, 07:50 PM
The problem with that being that the same SRD also lists the Epic Druid as having the 3.0 version of Animal Companion, among other egregious update issues.

The epic druid animal companion in the SRD follows the 3.5 progression perfectly.

Try again?

IraWolf
2019-07-24, 08:19 PM
Since you said "race" this is actually a pretty easy one; play a Grimlock martial character. XD

Blindsight within 40 ft., and if your DM lets you use the LA-Adjustment thread this community has it as a +0 LA, so you'd only need two racial hit die to play it.

Voidstar01
2019-07-24, 08:30 PM
Since you said "race" this is actually a pretty easy one; play a Grimlock martial character. XD

Blindsight within 40 ft., and if your DM lets you use the LA-Adjustment thread this community has it as a +0 LA, so you'd only need two racial hit die to play it.

Whats the source? I'm interested in checking it out even if I dont use it,

IraWolf
2019-07-24, 08:42 PM
Whats the source? I'm interested in checking it out even if I dont use it,

Uh...Monster Manual lmao. It's a core monster that works as a PC; it's given a proper Level Adjustment. If you want a link to the analysis from the Level Adjustment thread, it's here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21657828&postcount=1134

Voidstar01
2019-07-24, 08:58 PM
Uh...Monster Manual lmao.

Thanks I'd just never heard of them before so I wasn't sure where they came from (and I was kinda hoping they would reveal a new source book for me to read) and thanks for the LA thread, might be a hard sell, my DM is very by the books, but it's worth a read anyway.

ShurikVch
2019-07-25, 01:48 PM
If you agree for LA +3 and 4 racial HD, then Keeper from Fiend Folio "have no eyes" (don't let those goggles to fool you) and Blindsight 200'

Thurbane
2019-07-25, 05:03 PM
If you agree for LA +3 and 4 racial HD, then Keeper from Fiend Folio "have no eyes" (don't let those goggles to fool you) and Blindsight 200'

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/61/89/09/618909d2bf2bafba96093b307c8094bb.jpg

Ashtagon
2019-07-26, 12:32 AM
If you are playing a "blind" character, but you have items, skills, powers, or whatever that let you effectively see anyway, are you really playing a "blind" character?

In anything even vaguely resembling the sort of universe that has as much magic as is needed for other, proposals, I put forward this humble solution: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/removeBlindnessDeafness.htm

MisterKaws
2019-07-26, 12:48 PM
The epic druid animal companion in the SRD follows the 3.5 progression perfectly.

Try again?

So they did add in some of the errata. Not the latest, but still quite a bit. I stand corrected then.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-07-26, 05:17 PM
Darfellans (Stormwrack) have Blindsense in water via echolocation, and are just a cool race besides. Very solid for an aquatic campaign.

If you're playing a Tome of Battle class (Warblade and Swordsage work best, but Crusader also works if you're willing to invest some feats), as early as 9th level you can take Hearing the Air, a 5th level Diamond Mind stance that grants Blindsense.

Any race with Scent can automatically pinpoint (IIRC) enemies without the Darkstalker feat.

Blind-Fight can help make any of these more palatable. Invisible Eye fighting style (highly thematic for such a character anyway) monks get it as a bonus feat at 6th level, along with some other pretty good feats and a bonus to Listen. Invisible Fist and Dark Moon Disciple monks can at least share the pain with their enemies with at-will blink (9th level) and total concealment (7th level) respectively.

Deadline
2019-07-26, 10:34 PM
The Psionic power Synesthete (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) does what you want. Its duration is 10 min/level, so can often be pre-cast, and as a level 1 power, you don't need much in the way of levels to acquire it. You could grab it with Hidden Talent (or Wild Talent).

Jay R
2019-07-27, 10:04 AM
Ask your DM. Your best bet on this one is for the DM to like the idea and come up with ways to support it.

If one of my players tried to do this, I would treat it like a trait. Some sort of radar sense would replace sight, and we'd sit down together and try to work out the effect it should have:

Cannot determine colors.
Unaffected by darkness or light spells.
Unchanging limit of 30 feet or so.
No Spot check, +6 to Listen check.
etc.

This idea will work best with exceptions granted by your DM.

[Side note: Unless the DM really likes the idea, don't do it. It cannot work in that circumstance.]

MisterKaws
2019-07-27, 11:43 AM
The Psionic power Synesthete (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/synesthete.htm) does what you want. Its duration is 10 min/level, so can often be pre-cast, and as a level 1 power, you don't need much in the way of levels to acquire it. You could grab it with Hidden Talent (or Wild Talent).

Ask your DM. Your best bet on this one is for the DM to like the idea and come up with ways to support it.

If one of my players tried to do this, I would treat it like a trait. Some sort of radar sense would replace sight, and we'd sit down together and try to work out the effect it should have:

Cannot determine colors.
Unaffected by darkness or light spells.
Unchanging limit of 30 feet or so.
No Spot check, +6 to Listen check.
etc.

This idea will work best with exceptions granted by your DM.

[Side note: Unless the DM really likes the idea, don't do it. It cannot work in that circumstance.]

I'd just do it like Deadline said and give them a use-activated item of Synesthete with no body slots. Also known as:Graft. Yes, that's how they're calculated.

Final price is 6k GP. Pretty easy to get after a couple levels, and nothing game-breaking even before that.