PDA

View Full Version : Sycophantic Mirror of Divination [Intelligent Magical Item]

UndeadJames
2007-10-10, 06:17 AM
"Sir, I must say your hair is looking marvellous today. So much shine and bounce, how do you keep it in such a fine condition? I'm sure you'll be the envy of the western nobles at tonight's ball."
"Not now, Mirror." Says Lord Hardan Blackwater as he holds the fine silver mirror to his face. "I need to find Lady Abigail." He fingers a lock of hair in his off-hand as the face of the mirror appears once again.
"But Sir," the mirror inquires," why would such a distinguished - and handsome, I might add - swordsman such as yoursel-"
"Shut up, Mirror. Scry for Abigail."
"Very well Sir, I must say though that-"
"Shut up mirror!"
"Very well Sir."

The Sycophantic Mirror of Divination ("Buddy the Mirror")

This ornate Mirror of true-seeing has but one wish, to be loved. Over many centuries, the Mirror - who introduces itself as Buddy to any new adventurer it meets - has been cast aside by those who have realised that it's usefulness as a divining tool is strongly counterbalanced by its wish to compliment it's owner and to tell the user what they want to hear.
An attempt to use the divining magic of Buddy must succeed a Diplomacy (DC 20) or Intimidate check (DC 20) against the Mirror, or else face a torrent of verbal diarrhea. If the check is successful, Buddy falls silent for 1d4 hours, allowing you to use all of his abilities to their full extent.
If you fail to stop Buddy's verbal flow, then the user must listen to Buddy's non-stop chatterings for 1d20 rounds, before asking Buddy to divine the intended subject, the user must also succeed on a Sense Motive check (DC 10) in order to distinguish whether Buddy is in fact telling you the truth.

True Seeing as the spell cast by a 15th level sorceror/wizard. 4/day.

Scry as the spell cast by a 15th level sorceror/wizard. 3/day,

Speech

AL CG SV; SV Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +10; Str -, Dex -, Con -, Int 16, Wis 20, Cha 20, Ego 7.

Caster Level: 15th. Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, True Seeing, Scry. Market Price: 90,000gp. Cost to Create: 45,000gp + 3,000 XP

Ragna
2007-10-10, 07:59 AM
In the case of a web campaign, does this grant the DM to space every conversation with praises of how great and glorious the PCs are?

DracoDei
2007-10-10, 09:44 PM
I approve... but I might consider swapping the wisdom and Charisma scores... and waht does he do when and if he ever wins a personality conflict? Make you the possessor go get a pedicure at the earliest practical moment?

UndeadJames
2007-10-12, 02:59 AM
In the case of a web campaign, does this grant the DM to space every conversation with praises of how great and glorious the PCs are?

I just presume that the PC in question is distracted for a certain number of rounds. Irritating during down-time, possibly fatal during combat.

I approve... but I might consider swapping the wisdom and Charisma scores... and waht does he do when and if he ever wins a personality conflict? Make you the possessor go get a pedicure at the earliest practical moment?

Good point about the swap. I think that due to the Mirror's belief that every possessor is truly "zomgamazingace" (or why else would they possess the most badass item ever?), if it dominated the PC, then it would force PC to find and slay an appropriate enemy in order to satisfy the Mirror's faith in the PC, in the campaign setting I'm building, that would be a member of a gnoll community that razed the settlement of the creator of the mirror. Or in another campaign setting, any savage race would do.

UndeadJames
2007-10-12, 02:11 PM
I could really do with some feedback on this, I've not made any custom items so far and I'm hoping to use it as frustrating plot element in an up-and-coming campaign.