PDA

View Full Version : Fun spells for monk with Spell Storing?

ToastyTobasco
2019-07-24, 09:20 PM
Down the line our DM will be letting us buy magic items after clearing floors of dungeons and one that has my attention is a Ring of Spell Storing. Sadly it requires attunement but I could add a lot of utility to the party or up my damage with lots of lower level spells like Divine Favor or just get a fireball in there. I am an Open Hand Kobold monk, level 5.

So what would be some good spells to throw in the ring? We do have a regular Moon Druid and Beastmaster Ranger for casting and everyone else cycles in and out so accessibility to easy refills without going into town and paying for them will be variable

JNAProductions
2019-07-24, 09:25 PM
Hunter's Mark, for single tough targets, from the Ranger.

Pass Without Trace, for emergency stealthing, from the Druid.

Call Lightning, from the Druid, because flarp yeah.

ToastyTobasco
2019-07-24, 09:26 PM
Hunter's Mark, for single tough targets, from the Ranger.

Pass Without Trace, for emergency stealthing, from the Druid.

I had thought about Pass w/o Trace but not the other two....niiiice

JNAProductions
2019-07-24, 09:28 PM
I had thought about Pass w/o Trace ut not the other two....niiiicccee

Note that Hunter's Mark eats your bonus action, so no Martial Arts/Flurry Of Blows when you activate it. And then it requires a bonus action each time to move the target. Which is why I recommend it for a singular tough foe, NOT most combats.

My friend who plays Druids loves Call Lightning. It's an awesome spell.

iTreeby
2019-07-25, 12:01 AM
Find familiar is great with spell storing, spirit guardians, is very helpful on a monk as the difficult terrain can save you from melee combatants from reaching you, hunger of Hadar could be fun, Jump can be quite silly.

th3g0dc0mp13x
2019-07-25, 01:12 AM
Any of the Paladin Smite Spells
Spirit Guardians. Minor control, If played by absolute raw most enemies won't be able to get to you.
Haste: can you catch a hasted monk...probably not.
Counterspell: watch the dm who thought he was in the clear nearly cry when the monk counterspells the bbeg.
Sanctuary: Bonus action and probably better then using a dodge if there is a decent DC behind it.
Spike Growth: Open hand push 15' into this stuff, thats an additional 6d4 damage...
Armor of Agathys: Take damage give damage, minimal action economy cost as it lasts an hour.
Bless: hit more often so you can put down that sweet sweet stun.

Not til later levels but...
Holy weapon: for an additional 4d8 damage (more if your DM lets you cast it on your fists)
Animate Objects: Requires a round to set up but, Follow and attack who I attack is gonna be broken...
Shadow of Moil: free advantage and they get hurt if they hit you absolute win.
Greater Invisibility: Shadow of moil but no damage.

Fable Wright
2019-07-25, 01:30 AM

I love this spell, but for the monk?

Moonbeam.

Open hand can push enemies into the Orbital Death Laser for double dipping the damage, and Orbital Death Laser does not cost actions to maintain unlike Call Lightning.

Also, great for surprise Vampires and Werewolves. Never know when it'll come in handy.

Lille
2019-07-25, 03:10 AM
Jump, for when Step of the Wind isn't quite enough.

DarkKnightJin
2019-07-25, 05:14 AM
I love this spell, but for the monk?

Moonbeam.

Open hand can push enemies into the Orbital Death Laser for double dipping the damage, and Orbital Death Laser does not cost actions to maintain unlike Call Lightning.

Also, great for surprise Vampires and Werewolves. Never know when it'll come in handy.

Oh, I can attest to the power of 'the microwave', as it was called at our table.
My Kobold Druid drops a 3rd level Moonbeam (was out of 2nd level slots), and turns into the main damage dealer of the fight..

As well as Spike Growth. Placed tactically, it can deal a LOT of damage to enemies before they can get in range.

Bobthewizard
2019-07-25, 08:10 AM
If you are in a party, any of the low-level concentration buff or control spells are great on a non-spellcaster since it adds another concentration to the party. I love Bless and Faerie Fire in a ring of spell storing. Hex, Hunter's Mark are also great. Web, Hypnotic Pattern, Spirit Guardians are good but you can't store as many. I'd also throw in one Healing Word so you can pop the cleric back up if you need to and maybe a Shield or Absorb Elements to save your own butt.

Zuras
2019-07-25, 08:17 AM
Oh, I can attest to the power of 'the microwave', as it was called at our table.
My Kobold Druid drops a 3rd level Moonbeam (was out of 2nd level slots), and turns into the main damage dealer of the fight..

As well as Spike Growth. Placed tactically, it can deal a LOT of damage to enemies before they can get in range.

Never underestimate Moonbeam. It's one of the few 2nd level spells I’ve ever seen upcast with a 6th or higher slot, simply because the scaling is so solid and forced movement effects can cause extreme amounts of damage at higher levels.

RulesJD
2019-07-25, 09:22 AM
Fireball.

Monk runs into the middle of the enemies, activates, centered on themselves, and then Evades all of the damage.

MilkmanDanimal
2019-07-25, 10:36 AM
Monks can be squishy, and typically have to be played as mobile flankers to really survive. With five castings of Shield in that ring, though, you become one nasty little tank.

Keravath
2019-07-25, 01:54 PM
The biggest issue with a ring of spell storing on a non-caster is getting folks to cast the spells to fill the ring for you. The other characters need to have the spells prepared and they need to expend the spell slots to fill the ring. If you can satisfy those then there are a number of good spells for a monk to have stored. Personally, I'd probably go with Divine Favor x3 and Shield x2 or even Divine Favor x5 if you get into a lot of combats. and extra d4 damage on every attack from a monk adds up pretty quickly and it only costs you the first bonus action of the combat.