PDA

View Full Version : Optimization can cancer mage's cancerous companion gain class levels

Noxangelo
2019-07-24, 09:41 PM
So I've been rereading BoVD and the wording on the cancer mages cancerous companion would indicate that it is a separate entity, having its own intelligence and personality and after gaining the ability to generate a tendril of flesh, the ability to physically interact with the world. Would this mean that it is capable of taking class levels?

Cancerous Companion (Ex): At 2nd level, a cancer grows within the cancer mage, forming a large tumor. This cancerous growth gains intelligence and a personality distinct from the cancer mage. The companion and the cancer mage can communicate telepathically. When needed, the cancerous companion uses the cancer mage's scores for saves, ability scores other than Intelligence, and so forth. The cancerous companion gains abilities as the cancer mage gains levels.

also, on a slight tangent, would the cancerous companion have access to the cancer mages sneak attack damage on its touch attacks?

Venger
2019-07-24, 10:12 PM
No, it can't. It's not a creature. Also no. The tumor doesn't have levels in cancer mage, so it doesn't have sneak attack, its master does.

Noxangelo
2019-07-24, 10:16 PM
which begs the question, could it be made to count as a creature?

Squire Doodad
2019-07-24, 10:18 PM

I guess you could homebrew something to make it act as a DIY Backup Familiar?

Venger
2019-07-24, 10:21 PM

No.

What are you ultimately trying to do? knowing your end goal will help us work backwards.

Noxangelo
2019-07-28, 05:07 AM
Fun mainly, I'm rereading BoVD cover to cover and when I saw this i started wondering if there was a way to give it its own progression or access to its own abilities once cancer mage levels ran out.

I don't really have anything in mind for this but I may be taking over DMing for my group if the DM's uni schedule gets too crazy and I'm thinking to have a cabal of cancer mages as a lurcking, insidious threat in their home base city. so if anything fun comes out of this, i'm going to borrow it.

also thinking about starting a cancer mage npc thread.