PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Dvati Ideas

WorthingSon
2007-10-10, 07:55 AM
First of all, please don't use this thread to tell me what I am playing is broken or ridiculous. I know it is, that is part of the point to the campaign.

In my current campaign I am playing a god of righteous vengeance that was wrongfully cast from the heavens. My soul has been placed in the bodies (cause it’s a Dvati) of a long dead champion of mine. My character is insane. I have two personalities, one is a righteous warrior (my pally/warblade side of gestalt) and the other is a chaotic bandit that is good, but enjoys causing trouble (my spell thief side).

I am looking for ideas of things to do that could be neat tricks for screwing around. Any interesting ways to use any Abjuration, divination, enchantment, illusion, or transmutation spells 4th level or lower would be nice. For the record my stats are ridiculous, so anything that you come up with that depends on that is workable (lowest is Dex, 22). Please keep in mind that my character is very insane. I roll a d20 every time I need to decide things to see which personality will decide.

Also, I am currently a general’s aid. But the general is evil and I am just ignorant in character. So anything that plays off abusing my position could be fun for the spell thief side too.

Kaelik
2007-10-10, 08:44 AM
Um? I guess you want Spell thief? Personally, I'd go with a Warblade//Swordsage since you can't cast multiple spells in a round.

Otherwise I'd say Spellthief//Rogue with some type of PrCs would be okayish. Honestly, Dvati aren't that broken because they can't use their ability in the most important area, Spellcasting.

Apply the LA to the Rogue side.

Caduceus
2007-10-10, 08:49 AM
I won't say this is ridiculous, I promise. That's not my intention with this post.

I will, however, say that this is idea of a dual-personality character is becoming rather popular of late, not only in Dungeons and Dragons, but also on purely narrative forums of role-playing. It's like people want to play one character, but they can't decide which one they want to be.

One problem I see with this idea in DnD is the issue of Hit Dice size and hp. On top of that, what about DR gained by class features? Fortitude and Reflex saves? I can understand Will being differently powered between the two characters, but the physical characteristics ought to remain the same when you switch.

Kaelik
2007-10-10, 09:04 AM
One problem I see with this idea in DnD is the issue of Hit Dice size and hp. On top of that, what about DR gained by class features? Fortitude and Reflex saves? I can understand Will being differently powered between the two characters, but the physical characteristics ought to remain the same when you switch.

Dvati is a race with two bodies. It already has rules for everything. It was even published in Dragon, not homebrew.

WorthingSon
2007-10-10, 09:17 AM
Um? I guess you want Spell thief? Personally, I'd go with a Warblade//Swordsage since you can't cast multiple spells in a round.

Otherwise I'd say Spellthief//Rogue with some type of PrCs would be okayish. Honestly, Dvati aren't that broken because they can't use their ability in the most important area, Spellcasting.

Apply the LA to the Rogue side.

I went spell thief becuase we have no casters in the party, and I know dvati are not the best as casters. I did apply the LA to the spellthief side, so we were thinking the same there. As far as the casting goes, I plan to use as much of it as possible out of combat, and I have a homebrewed feat, Focused Dvati, that allows one body to make basic standard actions (i.e. no warblade tricks) while the other casts.

As far as the ridiculous part, I left out the fact that my stats are:

Str 32
Dex 22
Con 28
Int 31
Wis 28
Cha 32

Kaelik
2007-10-10, 09:43 AM
I went spell thief becuase we have no casters in the party, and I know dvati are not the best as casters. I did apply the LA to the spellthief side, so we were thinking the same there. As far as the casting goes, I plan to use as much of it as possible out of combat, and I have a homebrewed feat, Focused Dvati, that allows one body to make basic standard actions (i.e. no warblade tricks) while the other casts.

As far as the ridiculous part, I left out the fact that my stats are:

Str 32
Dex 22
Con 28
Int 31
Wis 28
Cha 32

A) I said apply the LA to the rogue side, caster gimping or not, the caster side always benefits more from an extra level.
B)Um? With those stats, and with your custom feat, what you want to do is Gestalt Wizard//Cleric. Buff yourself to heaven and back and kill everything. (IE: Forcecage all of you while he punches in this other guys face.)

WorthingSon
2007-10-10, 09:52 AM
Perhaps I should clarify. I am not trying to min/max this character. The LA was placed on the spellthief side because the pally/warblade side knew what it was doing; the spellthief side was still confused. The first three levels have already been played in the campaign, they are Pally 2/Warblade 1 and Spellthief 2 (with the LA).

I am simply asking if anyone has any interesting ideas that I can do, like using reduce object to shrink massive objects, throw them at foes, then expand them before they hit with a command word. My DM takes spell description text above all else when it come to spells, so doing things like using shadow bridge to create a 2 inch high "bridge" in front of charging foes (thus causing them to trip and fall) is totally in.

Kaelik
2007-10-10, 10:01 AM
Perhaps I should clarify. I am not trying to min/max this character. The LA was placed on the spellthief side because the pally/warblade side knew what it was doing; the spellthief side was still confused. The first three levels have already been played in the campaign, they are Pally 2/Warblade 1 and Spellthief 2 (with the LA).

I am simply asking if anyone has any interesting ideas that I can do, like using reduce object to shrink massive objects, throw them at foes, then expand them before they hit with a command word. My DM takes spell description text above all else when it come to spells, so doing things like using shadow bridge to create a 2 inch high "bridge" in front of charging foes (thus causing them to trip and fall) is totally in.

A) Then he is ignoring the actual descriptive text of Dark Way.
B) You never said anything in your post about what you were, so I assumed you were creating a character. You should really have specified that it was already created.

Human Paragon 3
2007-10-10, 10:10 AM
You could trick people into eating reduced objects. Grease is always fun. Changing your shape is also a classic "god" trick, so you can impersonate other people, pretend to be someone you are not, and eventually turn into animals and monsters with polymorph.

WorthingSon
2007-10-10, 10:15 AM
A) Then he is ignoring the actual descriptive text of Dark Way.
B) You never said anything in your post about what you were, so I assumed you were creating a character. You should really have specified that it was already created.

A) how so? (Darkway text provided at bottom)
B) I appologize if I was not clear, that is why I clarified.

You stand at the edge of the canyon and
invoke the power. At your feet appears a thin
black bridge that arches over the canyon.

You create a ribbonlike, weightless,
unbreakable bridge. A dark way must be
anchored at both ends to solid objects,
but otherwise can be at any angle. Like
a wall of force (PH 298), it must be continuous
and unbroken when formed.
It is typically used to cross a chasm or
a hazardous space. Creatures can move
on a dark way without penalty, since
it is no more slippery than a typical
dungeon floor.
A dark way can support a maximum
of 200 pounds per caster level.
Creatures that cause the total
weight on a dark way to
exceed this limit fall through
it as if it weren’t there. You
never fall through a dark way
unless your own weight exceeds
the spell’s maximum capacity.

slexlollar89
2007-10-10, 10:56 AM
You might think of casting benevolent spells on churches and temples, and always being ruthles to enemies of your god side. Leadership looks good as a god.

Try a gaes or quest on baddies you defeat, nd make them "repent" for opposing you and such.

Also, use cometfall, declaring "My wrath shall fall from the heavens!" and the venngeful gaze of god spells.

WorthingSon
2007-10-10, 12:01 PM
You might think of casting benevolent spells on churches and temples, and always being ruthles to enemies of your god side. Leadership looks good as a god.

Try a gaes or quest on baddies you defeat, nd make them "repent" for opposing you and such.

Also, use cometfall, declaring "My wrath shall fall from the heavens!" and the venngeful gaze of god spells.

Nice ideas. I lack spell abilities at all ATM, not high enough level to cast spells from spellthief yet. I shall try the repent plan if the opertunities presents itself (and my pally mind is in control). As far as the cometfall... I can't cast MY high level spells as spellthief only goes to 4th level... but if I steal one :smallbiggrin:

Kaelik
2007-10-10, 01:03 PM
A) how so? (Darkway text provided at bottom)
B) I appologize if I was not clear, that is why I clarified.

It depends on how you interpret the first line, but a ribbon like bridge could be either

A)Completely straight
B)Formed into any position

As such, Dark Way would be nearly as good as wall of Force (or better) as a second level spell.

Only A) makes sense. If it is A) then you must make the Bridge completely straight and anchored to the ground on both sides, which means that it will be effectively a part of the ground and no one would trip on it.

If you were in a Dungeon it could be used as a wall, but that is different. And it would still be a full wall, rather then tripping anyone.

The real fun of Dark Way is to play weight games with it so that everyone chasing you falls to their death.

WorthingSon
2007-10-10, 03:29 PM
It depends on how you interpret the first line, but a ribbon like bridge could be either

A)Completely straight
B)Formed into any position

Only A) makes sense. If it is A) then you must make the Bridge completely straight and anchored to the ground on both sides, which means that it will be effectively a part of the ground and no one would trip on it.

It specifically says it can be at any angle… and that it only has to be anchored at each end… even if you interpret that to mean completely strait, then one could simply us it to “bridge” any deviation in the terrain… or the space between two walls that is a few inches above the floor.

Kaelik
2007-10-10, 03:50 PM
It specifically says it can be at any angle… and that it only has to be anchored at each end… even if you interpret that to mean completely strait, then one could simply us it to “bridge” any deviation in the terrain… or the space between two walls that is a few inches above the floor.

If it bridges a deviation in the terrain then it does you now good because they are as likely to trip as they would be running over the deviation in the terrain. And in the case of two walls you just make it a wall, not some point a couple inches off the ground. In the second case it's not that you can't do that, it's that there are no mechanics for tripping over the bridge, and you should use the optimal strategy of using it as a wall, since it is easier to model and better.