PDA

View Full Version : How wast is young dragon's combat knowledge?

Pinjata
2019-07-25, 04:08 AM
Hey guys,

I used to roleplay even young dragons as creatures, who have memorized entire PHB, MM and DMG plus some splatbooks, when facing opponents.

After awhile, I figured, that may not be fair, given their in-game experience. But I was wondering - how much does such a creature know of opponents? Say a young green dragon, who resides in a large forest and occasionaly prowls upon merchants/caravans/adventurers traversing nearbytrade road?

How should I roleplay such a creature in comba?

thanks

Great Dragon
2019-07-25, 04:32 AM
@Pinjata:

I love Running and (in 3x) Playing Dragons!

I keep things fairly simple.

Wyrmlings
are like rather smart Kids.
The Intelligence and Attitude of your Average Teenager, but the innocence of, say, a 5 year old. Might know basic information about local Animals and one or two PC Races.

Young Dragons
(5e) equal to Humanoid Adults with still Teen Rebel Attitude.
Experienced enough to know maybe three/four Terrain types (ex: Mountains, Forests, and Underdark) and most of what lives there. Most likely knows at least basic information about all "normal PC Races" in these areas. So, maybe not Tabaxi, Loxo/Loxadon, Tortles, and similar.

Adult Dragons
Typical Know-it-all Adults.
They should know most Terrains and what normally lives there.

Ancient Dragons
Grognards.
And all bets are off! (Get off my lawn!!)
There should be very few things these don't know!!

Ninja_Prawn
2019-07-25, 05:58 AM
I refer you to the learnèd opinions (https://prokopetz.tumblr.com/post/185986534607/dungeons-dragons-dragons-by-age-category-0-10) of David J Prokopetz. :smalltongue:

Pinjata
2019-07-25, 06:08 AM
Hah, Ninja, this is great! And thank you so much for many advice, you have provided me with.