PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed 3.x - Spare the Rod, Spoil the Society

unseenmage
2019-07-25, 04:30 AM
Say you're a high level high op fullcaster with access to fast time demiplanes via genesis. (1 round = 39 years OR 1 round = a million years)

You want to raise a city/nation the way most people raise children. But you want to do it in such a way that they never know you exist.

The ultimate goal is to use such a society to do YOUR dirty work in their OWN name via manipulation.

How would you do it? What race(s) would you use? What would you use them for? Do you manipulate their forebears religion, their morals? Leave a prophesy? Leave highly specific schematics for unique portals written in a. impossible language?

I'm using Dvati and Warforged combined via Amalgam template myself. Call them Dualcore. :smallbiggrin:
Am considering how I might be able to transport an entire city from the demiplane to a remote corner of a real plane with as few citizens as possible knowing.
Crafting centric religious oracles and dropping them hints via dream sendings.

How would the Playground play it?

Crake
2019-07-25, 04:54 AM
Hold up, let's get the basics of your premise down first, you've left things rather ambiguously stated. So you say fast time demiplane. That means 1 round material = 39/1m years on the demiplane, right? Or did you mean slow-time demiplane, to be able to accelerate through time? If you meant fast-time, are you planning on putting the society you're building in the demiplane with you? If you meant slow-time, why would you take that option instead of actually micromanaging things from the shadows? Immortality isn't hard to come by, even if it's just Astral Projection looping, or reincarnating every few years (use the revivify version of reincarnation to avoid losing a level).

unseenmage
2019-07-25, 05:15 AM
I mean that while time flows normally everywhere else the nascent society grows at an accelerated rate.

And we want as little micromanagement as possible to prevent enemy fullcasters/epic characters/gods from knowing we were ever involved while still ultimately being able to use the population to achieve goals.

Researching unique magics, invading and conquering enemy planes, acquiring rare resources. That sort of thing.

For the MtG lore minded, I'm thinking Yasgmoth and Rath or Nicol Bolas and Amonket or Urza and the Metathran.

Venger
2019-07-25, 08:57 AM
I mean that while time flows normally everywhere else the nascent society grows at an accelerated rate.

And we want as little micromanagement as possible to prevent enemy fullcasters/epic characters/gods from knowing we were ever involved while still ultimately being able to use the population to achieve goals.

Researching unique magics, invading and conquering enemy planes, acquiring rare resources. That sort of thing.

For the MtG lore minded, I'm thinking Yasgmoth and Rath or Nicol Bolas and Amonket or Urza and the Metathran.

What is it your ant farm will do for you you can't do yourself?

If you want to prevent them from knowing about you, just be vecna-blooded.

Eldan
2019-07-25, 09:12 AM
Yeah, the problem is, other than being fun to watch in a pet way, what does a society actually do for a high-level wizard they can't do themselves?

unseenmage
2019-07-25, 09:38 AM
Get eaten by fiat monsters instead of the PC primarily.

Research and investigation into the Far Realm, Ravenloft, and other fiat powered game elements.

Venger
2019-07-25, 09:39 AM

Research and investigation into the Far Realm, Ravenloft, and other fiat powered game elements.
if a fiat monster wants to eat you, there isn't anything you can do to mitigate it. if your gm doesn't want you to learn about fiat, you won't, no matter how many ants you have working at it. neither of those things strikes me as useful. does your gm abuse fiat?

pabelfly
2019-07-25, 01:42 PM

So what is meant by the idea of fiat monsters and fiat-powered game elements?

unseenmage
2019-07-25, 02:07 PM
So what is meant by the idea of fiat monsters and fiat-powered game elements?

Places in the game that are deliberately not given statistics forcing the GM to make up their abilities when necessary.

The Lady of Pain of Sigil, the Dark Powers of Ravenloft, the denizens of the deep environs of the Far Realm, that sort of thing.

Eldan
2019-07-25, 02:34 PM
Yeah. Anything that can't really be resisted or interacted with, beyond what the DM makes up on the spot. If the Dark Powers want to pull you into Ravenloft, you get pulled into Ravenloft. If the Lady doesn't want you in Sigil, you aren't getting into Sigil. If a greater god of death wants you dead, you die. That kind of thing.