PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Damage Over Time Crowdsourcing

PhantasyPen
2019-07-25, 11:20 AM
I'm working on a themed caster spell list (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V6eN0qzt-ztXrYIVXJ6JSiqDenney_6wFcLZ0UL9TCg/edit?usp=sharing), and to that end I would like to tap into the great minds we have here and on the unofficial forum Discord to help me compile the spells for this list. The details are explained in the document, but to be brief here I am attempting to compile a list of all Damage Over Time spells, what book they're in, and what classes can use them.

EDIT: The document is open for people to suggest spells on, so if you know a spell that qualifies, please don't hesitate to place it on the sheet.

SangoProduction
2019-07-25, 11:41 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?550492-Wanna-Be-Teemo-In-Pathfinder-Now-s-your-chance!
I've made a build like this already. Pretty low level, but still.

PhantasyPen
2019-07-25, 12:26 PM
You also used pathfinder, and this is for 3.5. And your build is using the Spheres instead of traditional spellcasting, so no, this is completely different.

Thurbane
2019-07-25, 05:05 PM
So you're after things like Melf's Acid Arrow?

Do you count Summons, where the summoned creature do damage each time they attack?

PhantasyPen
2019-07-25, 05:16 PM
So you're after things like Melf's Acid Arrow?

Do you count Summons, where the summoned creature do damage each time they attack?

Melf's Acid Arrow yes, Summons are a resounding no I'm going to say.

Huh... I actually forgot that Acid Arow has a DoT effect.

Jack_Simth
2019-07-25, 07:10 PM
Melf's Acid Arrow yes, Summons are a resounding no I'm going to say.

Huh... I actually forgot that Acid Arow has a DoT effect.

Where do you want to draw the line? There are things between, such as Spiritual Weapon or Holy Star.

Mike Miller
2019-07-25, 08:19 PM
So you mean passive DoT, right? Once it starts doing damage, it keeps doing damage automatically each round? So Acid Arrow works for you but Spiritual weapon doesn't, because SW isn't automatic?

Anthrowhale
2019-07-25, 08:27 PM
The Wounding Spell metamagic feat makes all damage spells into damage-over-time spells.

Venger
2019-07-25, 09:24 PM
So you mean passive DoT, right? Once it starts doing damage, it keeps doing damage automatically each round? So Acid Arrow works for you but Spiritual weapon doesn't, because SW isn't automatic?

This is a good question. Do you want stuff that persists with direction, like call lightning or defenestrating sphere, or stuff that functions on its own like manyjaws?

Zaq
2019-07-25, 09:37 PM
Do spell-like abilities help? Lots of truenamer utterances do DoT. Agitate metal, reversed energy negation, energy vortex, and the entire reversed word of nurturing line, off the top of my head.

Also, don’t some spells give you a breath weapon? Combine that with feats like Entangling Breath (and I think there’s a similar feat in Draconomicon?) for some DoT.

Endarire
2019-07-25, 09:42 PM
What about cloudkill which can do damage over time or outright kill stuff?

What about acid fog and freezing fog (Spell Compendium) which do damage over time but have secondary effects?

Venger
2019-07-25, 09:50 PM
Do spell-like abilities help? Lots of truenamer utterances do DoT. Agitate metal, reversed energy negation, energy vortex, and the entire reversed word of nurturing line, off the top of my head.

Also, don’t some spells give you a breath weapon? Combine that with feats like Entangling Breath (and I think there’s a similar feat in Draconomicon?) for some DoT.

yeah, there's always dragon breath.

do you want stuff that gives you an attack, like produce flame ?

PhantasyPen
2019-07-25, 09:57 PM
Wow this got a lot of responses while I wasn't looking. Rather than reply to anyone in specific I'm going to make a general answer here. As it says in the document I want spells that explicitly do not require an action on the part of the Caster to do damage but instead deal damage passively. Spells with rider effects as well as passive damage over time are fine but I would like to have the damage over time as the primary focus. I'm not interested in meta Magic right now just pure spells.

Venger
2019-07-25, 10:15 PM
Wow this got a lot of responses while I wasn't looking. Rather than reply to anyone in specific I'm going to make a general answer here. As it says in the document I want spells that explicitly do not require an action on the part of the Caster to do damage but instead deal damage passively. Spells with rider effects as well as passive damage over time are fine but I would like to have the damage over time as the primary focus. I'm not interested in meta Magic right now just pure spells.

I've added a bunch of stuff. Can you unblock copy/paste? it's making it very annoying to move stuff around.

PhantasyPen
2019-07-26, 11:19 PM
I've added a bunch of stuff. Can you unblock copy/paste? it's making it very annoying to move stuff around.

I approved everything I could. I don't think it's me that's blocking copy / paste, that seems to be a very annoying feature of Google Documents if you don't use Chrome. You have to use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V

Venger
2019-07-26, 11:58 PM
I approved everything I could. I don't think it's me that's blocking copy / paste, that seems to be a very annoying feature of Google Documents if you don't use Chrome. You have to use Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V

I am using chrome, and am referring to ctrl c ctrl v. I guess it's a feature of google docs.

ayvango
2019-07-27, 01:30 AM
Don't forget to add bracers of entangling blast and Fell Drain metamagic into the mix. Entangling Fell Drain Kelgore's Grave Mist would be a deadly trap. Even simple 1st-level thunderhead becomes deadliest weapon with such modifiers.

Asmotherion
2019-07-27, 02:35 AM
i see cloudkill is missing from the list. 3d6 con damage translates to an average 10 con down per turn; You loose HP according to your Con Mod. Wich is pretty big damage.

There's also Freezing Fog; pretty similar to Accid Fog but cold damage themed and also gives a Grease effect.

And since we're on the topic of Clouds; cloud of knives also deals DpT but requires a ranged attack to deliver. However it has great synergy with metamagic and other spells. i figured if you quallyfy streamers it should also be in the list.

Thunderlance/Decastave are spell-weapons; Technically could be in the list.

Maw of Chaos pretty much fits.

Flaming Sphere
Sphere of Ultimate Destruction
Black blade of Disaster
Mage's Sword
All create an effect that you can redirect each round.

if any other comes up i'll add.

StevenC21
2019-07-27, 04:11 AM
Blackfire is fun.

Darrin
2019-07-27, 08:36 AM
Daltim's fiery tentacles, Shining South p. 45. Almost got a TPK with that one.

Asmotherion
2019-07-28, 06:40 AM
Daltim's fiery tentacles, Shining South p. 45. Almost got a TPK with that one.

On that note: kyristan's malevolent tentacles. Also Shining South.

Troacctid
2019-07-28, 12:02 PM
The advanced learning section of my WIP warmage handbook has some relevant stuff in it. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mBZFBdZRuCtldiqti91ej1FkIbngCr_aYKyF5zyZee8/edit?usp=drivesdk&ouid=109899719619589059697

PhantasyPen
2019-07-28, 02:20 PM
I just wish to make it clear to everyone that the document is open for editing, so you're all free to add any spells you see I'm missing onto the document directly, just please remember to follow the format being used by the other entries.