PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Ways to get expertise as a Samurai

Zilen
2019-07-25, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone!

This is the situation: For a next campaing, I want to make a STR character (that primarily wield a greatsword) with expertise in persuation.
The only thing I already decided is to go for the samurai fighter, since adding the wisdom modifier to persuation checks is excelent.

As far as I can see, one way I could do this is to make my character a variant human (and take Prodigy as a feat) or Half Elf/Orc and do the same in lvl 4.

Or take 1 lvl in rogue for the expertise feature, (i could take 3 levels in bard, but since this new campaing goes to lvl 13, I think is too much 3 levels outside fighter, if it´s still worth it, plz let me know)
and go with a race that give bonuses to cha and str.

Of course, as a fighter, wisdom and charisma are not really usefull stats at all, but out of the classes I wanted to play, this fighter subclass can do the job.

So, my question is: What do you think is better? Are other ways to get persuation higher as a Samurai?

Thanks! :D

viaFAMILIAR
2019-07-25, 05:06 PM
If your DM allows, UA has feats that grant skill proficiency, or expertise if proficient, an ability score +1, and something fancy related to your chosen skill.

Justin Sane
2019-07-25, 05:35 PM
If your DM allows, UA has feats that grant skill proficiency, or expertise if proficient, an ability score +1, and something fancy related to your chosen skill.More specifically, link (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-SkillFeats.pdf)

Diplomat grants +1 Cha, Expertise (or proficiency) in Persuasion, and an opposed check to charm a creature for 1 minute.

Personally, i'd take the Rogue level - +1 skill proficiency (+ thieves' tools), 2 expertises, and +3.5 damage per round? Worth it - assuming you can spare the 13 Dex, that is.

Nagog
2019-07-25, 07:16 PM
As much as I love a 1 level dip in Rogue, if you're going for Honorable Samurai, sneak attack would be wasted. I'd go Diplomat feat if possible, Prodigy if not.

Misterwhisper
2019-07-25, 07:25 PM
As much as I love a 1 level dip in Rogue, if you're going for Honorable Samurai, sneak attack would be wasted. I'd go Diplomat feat if possible, Prodigy if not.

The bigger issue is that he couldn’t sneak attack with his weapon of choice anyway, and would need a 13 dex to multiclass.

Human with prodigy would work fine, as a human fighter you can spare the feat.

Wisdom is always a great stat, wisdom saves are huge and so are many wisdom skills.

If ua feats are allowed I would go Half elf and take, everyone’s friend.

Nagog
2019-07-25, 07:40 PM
The bigger issue is that he couldn’t sneak attack with his weapon of choice anyway, and would need a 13 dex to multiclass.

Human with prodigy would work fine, as a human fighter you can spare the feat.

Wisdom is always a great stat, wisdom saves are huge and so are many wisdom skills.

If ua feats are allowed I would go Half elf and take, everyone’s friend.

Ah, valid point. Yeah definitely go for one of the feats. Diplomat is nice for specialization in that skill and the potential for Charm, however Prodigy grants a plethora of other bonuses that can really come in handy.

Zilen
2019-07-25, 08:54 PM
Hello all!
Thank you all for your answers!

Yeah, I notice that Sneak Attack is worthless with a greatsword, but I can use it with a longbow for distance attacks, since fighting spirit does not specify melee weapon attack.

Unfortunately my dm already told me that UA feats are not allowed, so that option is not posible.

Of course, thematically speaking, a making a sneaky attack is not something a samurai would do. But here what I´m trying to do is to get expertise, so I wouldn mind to only can use sneak attack with range attacks.
After all, i dont think is a bad idea as a reinforcement for range attacks.

Crgaston
2019-07-25, 11:27 PM
Hello all!
Thank you all for your answers!

Yeah, I notice that Sneak Attack is worthless with a greatsword, but I can use it with a longbow for distance attacks, since fighting spirit does not specify melee weapon attack.

Unfortunately my dm already told me that UA feats are not allowed, so that option is not posible.

Of course, thematically speaking, a making a sneaky attack is not something a samurai would do. But here what I´m trying to do is to get expertise, so I wouldn mind to only can use sneak attack with range attacks.
After all, i dont think is a bad idea as a reinforcement for range attacks.

Two levels of Rogue are fantastic on a fighter for Cunning Action. Fighters don’t have a lot to do with their Bonus Action, typically, outside of TWF, and improving your action economy is huge.

Sneak Attack doesn’t have to be “sneaky.” It can represent an increase in focus, targeting vulnerable spots, or just general combat prowess.

Nothing wrong with Prodigy if you’d prefer to stay single classed, though.

Zilen
2019-07-29, 03:22 PM
Two levels of Rogue are fantastic on a fighter for Cunning Action. Fighters don’t have a lot to do with their Bonus Action, typically, outside of TWF, and improving your action economy is huge.

Sneak Attack doesn’t have to be “sneaky.” It can represent an increase in focus, targeting vulnerable spots, or just general combat prowess.

Nothing wrong with Prodigy if you’d prefer to stay single classed, though.

Hi there!
The fighting spirit of the samurai fighter is a bonus action, but your are right, i would like to have one other thing extra for my bonus action.

I did not think of those ways to put the sneak attack, thanks!

Probably I´m gonna end with prodigy if the stat´s rolls are not as good as I want them to be, but if they are decent enough, very sure I´m taking the rogue multiclass option!

Thank you all! :D