PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next First Magic Item - would like some critique

CaptainMendax
2019-07-25, 08:25 PM
Hello all,

I'm starting to experiment with homebrewing magic items - not really for any particular campaign, just because it seems fun and it can't hurt to have some unique items at my disposal, right? - and I'd like some general critique, mostly to make sure that I'm actually putting things at the power level I think I am.

The idea behind this first magic item is that a largely benign pirate captain decided to bind his soul to his rapier after a night of particularly hard drinking (it's somewhat loosely based on one of my characters, but that's not particularly relevant to what I'm asking for). The power level I'm aiming for right now is rare (based on DMG p. 285), but I'm also considering making an uncommon variant. There's some fluff about the sword being sentient and wanting to go on cool adventures, but as far as mechanics go...

The Captain's Sword (I am also taking suggestions for names)
Requires attunement (seemed standard)

-You gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic weapon.

-SPELLS: The sword has 4 charges, and regains 1d4 charges at dawn. As an action you may spend one charge to cast the Gust of Wind spell, two charges to cast the Wind Wall spell, or three charges to cast the Control Winds spell. The save DC for these spells is 13. (I'm not really confident in this part of the item, particularly in the number of charges or the DC for saves)

CONTAGIOUS INTOXICATION - I'm still not certain how to phrase the rules on this and not have it be a rambling mess, but the idea is that if you hit a creature with the sword, you may use a bonus action to force the target to make a DC 13 Constitution saving throw (Also not sure about that DC). On a failed save, the target immediately becomes drunk and suffers the effects of the poisoned condition for 1 minute (i.e. disadvantage on all ability checks and attack rolls). The target may repeat this save at the end of each of its turns. If the creature makes its save or the effect ends, they are immune to this ability until the next dawn.

Is this an accurate power level for a Rare magic item? I tried to err on the side of under-powered, but I'm not confident on all of the aspects, especially the DC's I assigned. If those would need to be beefed up or toned down, please let me know. Also, if I wanted to make it an uncommon item, would it be as simple to take away the Control Winds spell and change the bonus to +1?

Edit: fixed a typo

Rerem115
2019-07-26, 12:53 AM
Seems fine to me; it's a +2 weapon (rare) with some extra thematic bonuses, but also a detriment in that it requires attunement.

The spell DCs seem to be reasonable, and the only thing I might change is putting a use limit on Contagious Intoxication. It takes your bonus action and targets Con (One of the saves monsters are better at), but at-will poison is still pretty good.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-07-26, 03:22 AM
I dunno, it's borderline for me. Control winds is a chunky spell, and comparing it to say a Canaith Mandolin (rare item with stored spells) or a Staff of Frost (an item with 5th level stored spells) makes me think it sits more comfortably in the very rare tier. It may need a small buff to get there though. Dropping the control winds and reducing the bonus to +1 would be comfortably rare, for me (bearing in mind a vanilla +1 sword is uncommon).

The save DC should probably be 15, based on established precedent, especialy if it goes to very rare.

I'd make the intoxication cost a charge, but maybe up the charges to 6. That's just personal taste though.

CaptainMendax
2019-07-26, 10:23 AM
Seems fine to me; it's a +2 weapon (rare) with some extra thematic bonuses, but also a detriment in that it requires attunement.

The spell DCs seem to be reasonable, and the only thing I might change is putting a use limit on Contagious Intoxication. It takes your bonus action and targets Con (One of the saves monsters are better at), but at-will poison is still pretty good.

Thanks for the feedback! For Contagious Intoxication, would you think making it cost one of the sword’s charges would work, like ninja_prawn suggested?

I dunno, it's borderline for me. Control winds is a chunky spell, and comparing it to say a Canaith Mandolin (rare item with stored spells) or a Staff of Frost (an item with 5th level stored spells) makes me think it sits more comfortably in the very rare tier. It may need a small buff to get there though. Dropping the control winds and reducing the bonus to +1 would be comfortably rare, for me (bearing in mind a vanilla +1 sword is uncommon).

The save DC should probably be 15, based on established precedent, especialy if it goes to very rare.

I'd make the intoxication cost a charge, but maybe up the charges to 6. That's just personal taste though.

Hmm… would only dropping the control winds spell potentially be enough to push it into the rare category for you?

Chaos_Laicosin
2019-07-26, 01:40 PM
A note on the save DC: When I've made magic items I've always assumed any magic ability is akin to a spellcaster casting it as their highest available spell.

So Control Winds being a 5th level spell would mean a 9th level caster.
So DC would be 8 (base) + 4 (proficiency bonus) + 3 (reasonable ability modifier) = 15
Which is what Ninja_Prawn suggested, but there's some math for you anyway.

Ninja_Prawn
2019-07-26, 02:33 PM
A note on the save DC: When I've made magic items I've always assumed any magic ability is akin to a spellcaster casting it as their highest available spell.

So Control Winds being a 5th level spell would mean a 9th level caster.
So DC would be 8 (base) + 4 (proficiency bonus) + 3 (reasonable ability modifier) = 15
Which is what Ninja_Prawn suggested, but there's some math for you anyway.

Another way to justify it is by looking at the save DCs for spell scrolls, which are 13 for uncommon, 15-17 for rare, 17-18 for very rare and 19 for legendary.

As for just dropping the control winds, yeah that'd probably be enough. The rarity tiers are pretty broad.

CaptainMendax
2019-07-26, 05:25 PM
Thanks everyone! This has been a big help so far!

Breccia
2019-07-27, 08:58 PM
I think the DC should be higher.

Since the sword is capable of casting control winds, a 5th level spell, the caster is at least 9th level and therefore their proficiency bonus is +3. That alone suggests a 14 is called for. Also, you could assume the sword's +2 bonus also applies to spells it casts itself (rod of the pirate keeper?) and make it 16. Considering the item is rare, you could just go through the DMG and copy the DC of 15 from rare magic wands.